PDA

View Full Version : Mitts or no mitts?

Souljah
05-28-2004, 02:28 PM
Hi

I've been hitting my bag lately - a 4 ft angled bag.
I've been doing it with no mitts or any hand protection, but the other day I got a little emotional on it (lol) and ended up with seriously bloody knuckles - I barely noticed it until I looked...

Can anyone give me some advice on mitts to get or tell me if theyre necessary? I mean, would it just be better to 'harden' my knuckle skin by making it endure this?

thanks for any help.

-greg

CaptinPickAxe
05-28-2004, 03:38 PM
If its made out of canvas, it will always bust you open. My leather heavy bag busted my hands open, but after awhile, they calloused and I didn't have that problem. The true question is:
Do you want scarred hands?
If so, continue. If not, use gloves.

Souljah
05-28-2004, 04:28 PM
true - what type of mitts would u reccommend? I mean, I'm just not sure what I should be using on it - I want to have minimal cushioning really...

CaptinPickAxe
05-29-2004, 01:37 PM
bag gloves. You can find some that only have a thin piece of leather covering your hand. Or you can get them up to about an inch thick.

wikid009
05-29-2004, 02:26 PM
I think hand wraps are quite good because they stop you grazing and cutting your hand but dont cushion them that much and there cheap :D

IronFist
05-29-2004, 10:42 PM
They make "bag gloves" in anything from as thin as a piece of leather up to as thick as normal boxing gloves.

Find what you like, and use those.

Souljah
05-30-2004, 01:45 AM
thanks for that guys

Shaolin101
05-30-2004, 04:54 AM
remember you shouldnt really share your bag if you bleed on it, especially if the other peson doesnt use gloves.

i went to a gym with a canvas bag ind it was covered in blood - you could see some was really old nad some fresh - god knows what you could catch!