PDA

View Full Version : this "secret hsing-i" kid rules

jun_erh
05-28-2004, 03:30 PM
secret hsing-i's mom makes him practice (http://homepage.mac.com/stevefarrell/images/secretHsingy.mov)

MaFuYee
05-28-2004, 04:08 PM
i've seen that footage on one of those china's living treasures, national survey tapes.

that looks like a really good drill.

Phrost
05-28-2004, 04:23 PM
I dunno, that footwork looks like it wouldn't take much more than a strong wind to knock him over.

Anyone know the reason/theory behind those types of steps? Is it for power generation? I'd imagine the knees bent like that would help generate a heck of a straight blast, but I wouldn't want to try it against a wrestler... too easy to grab both legs together.

rogue
05-28-2004, 04:47 PM
What's the kid doing at the beginning of the vid? Didn't his mom tell him to take care of that before they left the house?

Meat Shake
05-28-2004, 05:31 PM
I dont know much about hsing I, but it looked like a good drill. Looked like he was putting a strong emphasis on trying to cultivate qi in the lower dan tien. I wish I would have started shuai chiao that young. :)

Starchaser107
05-28-2004, 08:10 PM
yeah , cool, i have that on tape too, too bad the whole thing is in chinese , no subtitles... so i'm pretty much just watching the stuff ...

Felipe Bido
05-28-2004, 08:21 PM
That's an excercise from the Dai Clan, called 'Squatting Monkey'. It's basic to learn proper alignment, sinking of the waist and rooting, to prepare the body for optimum power generation. It was only used by the Dai Family, but it's becoming pretty popular in the XY circles nowadays.

I've seen another variation, where the hands at the Dantien are actually strikes to the area. Maybe he wasn't doing the striking part yet, because of his age.

The Willow Sword
05-28-2004, 09:26 PM
id like to see the kid and what he is doing now.

PEACE,,,TWS

The Willow Sword
05-28-2004, 09:37 PM
i have the site that has all those vids,, you seem to be knowledgable what is this master doing? hehe the clip says "classified" but there is some chinese writing at the beginning of the vid.

http://homepage.mac.com/stevefarrell/images/classified.mov

if anyone else knows please share.

PEACE,,,TWS

Kristoffer
05-29-2004, 04:31 AM
Looks like some Pakua form?

Felipe Bido
05-29-2004, 09:23 AM
TWS, that's a Liuhebafa form.

The Willow Sword
05-29-2004, 12:06 PM
Thanks Felipe.

PEACE,,TWS

IronFist
05-29-2004, 12:26 PM
How does that look like a good drill? Was it an attack? For power generation? It certainly wasn't for muscular strength development.

Stacey
05-29-2004, 02:31 PM
great for absorbing kicks and tossing the kicker on their ass.

Tainan Mantis
05-29-2004, 09:21 PM
This a part of the long, and I do mean extremely long, government survey taken throughout China of styles in all the provinces.

This is chi gung.
Some styles of xing yi later add hard strikes to the dan tien while performing the forms.
This is also included in several other styles.

Included on that day of filmimg were also elders doing there 1 and 2 man xing yi forms.
Also, I think same place same day(shanxi), if memory serves was performed tong bei.
That area's tongbei struck me as unusual in that it looked very similar to a lot of 7* PM I have seen.

MonkeySlap Too
05-29-2004, 09:37 PM
If you are curious, go take a Li Tai Liang seminar.

Water Dragon
06-02-2004, 10:18 AM
What's funny is that even though the video is there in plain site, most people are totally missing what's going on in the drill.

I guess that's what they mean by hiding something in plain view.

Christopher M
06-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by rogue
What's the kid doing at the beginning of the vid?

It's certainly a power training/coordination drill at least. I do not know any xingyi myself, but the mechanic of "opening and closing" and "bows" are pervasive at least across the internal styles, and he seems to be working at that fairly overtly. For instance, one "axis" is the spreading versus closing of the scapulae which you can see in the movements of the shoulders and chest (and of course, associated with motion throughout the body). Another axis is the spine itself bowing and unbowing. Another is the folds of the thighs coiling in then spreading out. And all of this is connected to movements from the lower abdomen and back. Skill and conditioning in these mechanics permit power generation as well as train the cohesiveness of the overall structure (ie. by learning to monitor and articulate the "bows" to conduct force anywhere on your body skillfully down to the ground, like when you keep some space in your armpit when someone is pushing on your arm).

Again, I do not know any xingyi, but perhaps this gives some small idea if people could not imagine what the purpose of this might be.