PDA

View Full Version : Grand Master Ku Yu Cheung - Videos?

galaxies
05-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Does anyone have direct knowledge of the existence of any movies of the great Grand Master Ku Yu Cheung in competition, demonstration, or teaching? The Grand Master's name is sometimes spelled differently such as Gu Ruzhang, etc. I don't think that I have to clarify this, but he is the famous Grand Master that broke 13 bricks in maybe the most well known photograph in martial arts history.

The most complete history of the great Grand Master that I found on the internet is located at http://user2.ev1.net/~stma/Gu.html . There are 3 articles at this site about the great Grand Master.

Gene Ching informed me that he did an article for Inside Kung-Fu on the great Grand Master in the April 1997 issue of that publication. I am trying to get a reprint of this article as well.

The approximate years of the life of the great Grand Master were 1894-1952. I have seen different years quoted in different articles.

Movies certainly existed at the time of the First national Tournament in Nanjing in 1928. The great Grand Master was one of the last thirteen fighters declared as "The Thirteen Champions of All China".

If a movie or movie transferred to a vhs video or dvd exists, I would like to find out if it is possible to get a vhs video copy or dvd copy.

If someone has such a copy and would like to find out more about my background or possibly talk to my Sifu, I am sure that can be worked out.

I am only interested in such a copy, if it exists, for my school. I am not interested in trying to profit from such a copy, if it exists.

Maybe this is like all the rare baseball cards that many parents through away when they cleaned the basement.

Any references to other books or articles that may be available on the great Grand Master Ku Yu Cheung would also be appreciated.

NorthernShaolin
05-28-2004, 03:57 PM
galaxies,

Sorry but the answer is no, there are no film in any form on Kuo Yu Chang.

The web site that you are refering to where there are three articles on KYC, two of the articles I wrote for stma.

The correct web site address is
www.smilingtiger.net

Who is your sifu may I ask?

galaxies
05-29-2004, 12:27 AM
NorthernShaolin, thank you very much for correcting the web site address that I referred to. The main web site address should have been referred to as www.smilingtiger.net. My apologies for not stating the main web site address.

The articles that you wrote for stma were very informative and I thank you for writing them.

You asked me for the name of my Sifu. I am studying in a school that is not open to the public, so I can not give my Sifu's name in a public forum. Also, I have only been studying this system four years and have a student rank. I would have to request my Sifu to discuss this with you in a private email if you want to discuss it further.

I apologize if anything that I asked or said offended you in any way. I have only the highest respect for serious practitioners of kung fu.

If you are interested, I study an internal style of kung fu that has Grand Master Kuo Yu Chang in its lineage. However, in this style, the great Grand Master is known as Professor Lan Ho.

I can not say that I am suprised that no movies or videos exist of Grand Master Kuo Yu Chang in competition. I asked only to make sure that this was so. Thank you very much for your knowledge and insight.

NorthernShaolin
05-29-2004, 03:50 PM
Please, no offense taken. As for your reason for not giving your sifu's name, that's okay and I respect that.

Thanks anyway.