PDA

View Full Version : Ten Tigers of Kwungtung

blackmantis
05-30-2004, 09:27 AM
Who were the Ten Tigers of Kwungtung does anyone know? What did they do? Why did they do it? etc.

Any info would be apprechiated!

Thanks

S

mok
06-01-2004, 03:12 PM
I'm pasting this from Hung Ga United http://www.siulam.info/ : it's from a Hung Gar perspective, as at least 2 of the GuangDong Sup Fu were siu lam/hung kuen masters...

__
The “Ten Tigers of Gwongdung” (Gwongdung sap fu) were the ten most famous martial artists in Southern China (Gwondung Province) during the late Ching Dynasty. They were also sometimes called “Mad Tigers” (Din fu). All the tigers were Siulam (Shaolin) lay disciples and had learned from Fukgin Siulam monks or other lay disciples, who in turn had learned from Siulam monks.

Although they lived at the same time (late Ching Dynasty) in Gwongdung province, they did not all appear as one organized group. The video “Ten Tigers of Kwantung”, which shows them at the same time and place as a group of avengers, is fictional.

According to some authors, the honor of being chosen as a “Tiger” was made according to Chinese tradition of seniority, not fighting skill. Also the names and skills of the tigers differed from list to list. This was dependant on different lineages/styles in which the stories about the ten tigers were told.

The masters that are mentioned as the Ten Tigers most often are:

Titkiu Saam was according to some lineages the foremost of the „Ten Tigers of Gwongdung“. (Other stories tell he was the second foremost.)

The real name of Titkiu Saam was Leung Kwan – his nickname literally means „Iron Bridge Three“. He is credited for the development of Titsin kuyn, an internal form and the most advanced form in the current Hungga style. He had developed this form after learning Siulam Hungkyun, Lama gungfu and Taoist heigung. (See the articles on Titkiu Saam and Tit Sin Kyun on this website).

Wong Yanlam was a student of the Tibetian monk Singlung, a master of „Lion’s Roar” gungfu. This style later developed into Hapga gungfu (Hap family style or Chivalrous boxing), Lama paai (Tibetian Lama Buddhist style) and Baak hok kyun (White crane style). It is also said that Wong Yanlam’s gungfu played a role in the development of modern Hungga. This because the famous Hungga master Wong Feihung exchanged some techniques with Wong Yanlam in his youth.

Wong Keiying was a disciple of Luk Achoi, a student of the Fukgin Siulam abbot Jisin Simsi. Wong Keiying, in turn, passed on his knowledge to his son, Wong Feihung*, one of the most famous Hungga masters ever.

Sou „Hak fu,“ or „Black Tiger“ Sou, was, as the nickname suggests, a master of the Black Tiger Style („Hak fu“ means „Black Tiger“).

Sou „Hatyi“ or „Beggar“ Sou was originally a rich man, but he squandered away all his money. According to some sources, he learned (old) Hungkyun from Chan Fuk, a monk of the Fukgin Siulam Temple. Beggar Sou is often depicted in the movies as a master of Drunken gungfu (see Jackie Chan’s Drunken Master), dispite of the fact that there is no evidence proving it.

Jau Taai was well known for his staff techniques, known as „Soul Chasing Staff of the First Emperor“. He became famous when he defeated an international boxing champion from France.

„Three-Legged Tam“ was famous for his three kicking techniques – Tiger tail kick, Sweeping floor kick and Organ seeking kick.

Wong Chingho was famous for his Iron Head technique. He learned his gungfu in a Gwongdung temple from a monk belonging to the Siulam tradition.

„Tit ji“ Chan, or „Iron Finger“ Chan was an expert at the Iron Finger Art.

Si Yuleung was well known for his Red Sand Palm (Hung Sa Jeung) technique. This technique uses internal force to kill/injure the opponent and leaves a red mark behind on the skin.

* Sometimes Wong Feihung is listed as one of the „Ten Tigers of Gwongdung“. Most sources however claim this is a mistake and tell that Wong Fei Hung was called the „Tiger after the Ten Tigers of Gwongdung“.

Sources:

- Wong, Kiew Kit, Selections of Answers to Reader’s Questions, November 99/2,

www.geocities.com/~wahnam/ans-5/nov99-2.html

- Ng, Ho, When the Legends Die. A Survey of the Tradition of the Southern Shaolin Monastery,

in: A Study of the Hong Kong Martial Arts Film, Urban Council, Hongkong 1980, p. 47-86.

- Yee, Frank; Cepero, Pedro, The Heroes of Hung Ga, in: Inside Kung-Fu,

February 1997, p. 64, 67-68, 73-75, 100.

Text by:

Hung Ga United

HopGar
06-01-2004, 07:35 PM
From what I remember reading, the Ten Tigers was a collection of the top Martial Artists in China and the ranking was based on who defeated everyone else. I remember something about one man beating 150 people in a row. I do believe that Wong Yan Lam was number one, but then again, I'm biased....

Peace!

mok
06-02-2004, 08:57 AM
you mean top ten martial artists in Canton province - not all China, right?

CLFNole
06-02-2004, 10:24 AM
They were supposed to have been ranked according to age. They never actually fought each other. They never even grouped together, they were just well known for their martial prowess.

Wong Yan Lam was supposed to have defeated a number of challengers, however there is no mention that any of the other Kwantung Sup Fu were one of them.

Also it seems that every style has a Canton Tiger. I have heard people say Tam Sam was one, but part of the 2nd group of Canton Tigers along with Wong Fei Hung.

Bottom line it doesn't mean anything today but is just rather nice to talk about.

Peace.

hasayfu
06-02-2004, 10:49 AM
As I understand the 10 tigers of Canton, it was the equivalent of People's 50 most beautiful people or Time's 100 most influential.

It was done based on reputation and promoted through the popular pulp fiction.

jmd161
06-02-2004, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by CLFNole
They were supposed to have been ranked according to age. They never actually fought each other. They never even grouped together, they were just well known for their martial prowess.

Wong Yan Lam was supposed to have defeated a number of challengers, however there is no mention that any of the other Kwantung Sup Fu were one of them.

Also it seems that every style has a Canton Tiger. I have heard people say Tam Sam was one, but part of the 2nd group of Canton Tigers along with Wong Fei Hung.

Bottom line it doesn't mean anything today but is just rather nice to talk about.

Peace.

It is said to be known that So Hak Fu (Su,Sou,Soo) and Wong Kei Ying were good friends ,and believed to be where Wong Fei Hung learned the Black Tiger that he knew.

As far as every style having their own Canton Tiger i've never heard that myself ,but i have heard of a second group of Canton Tigers that included Wong Fei Hung.

jeff:)