PDA

View Full Version : A question about Wing Chun Dummies...

LC-NYC
06-02-2004, 04:46 PM
1. Does anyone here have a dummy that was made by Lionheart?

2. Has anyone ever used shellac on their dummies?

3. What are your opinions about shellac, varnish, lacquer, tungs oil, wood oil or any other type of finish that is being used on dummies?

I have a dummy that was made by Lionheart and the arms have become rough. I was going to use tung oil...... However, I noticed on the label that tung oil cannot be used on wood that has been previously treated with shellac.... I'm not sure what was used as a finish on my dummy..... I think it's shellac.... so I am hoping to find someone that has some information about Lionheart dummies.

Thanks for the Help!

stuartm
06-03-2004, 12:47 AM
Hi ,

Is your dummy inside or out? I have one permanently outside in constantly wet UK and ive treated it for the past 6 years with Danish oil - does the job. I cant see why it cant be used if the dummy is inside but I may be wrong.

Dont use linseed oil thuogh as it will become sticky when warm. Another optionmay be yacht varnish which is rock hard.

Anyone else??

Stu

curtis
06-03-2004, 02:34 AM
Hello
shellac is one of the easyist finnishes to re-do. If it is shellac?
test on a small eara out of the way,(most likely in the back of the dummy and to the bottom,of the dummy,where noone will ever see.) Use dedenchard alchol. the alchol will desolve shellac on contact. If the finish becomes gummy but dosent desolve, you are most likely working with varnish, if nothing happen, after the achol has been used you are most likely working with a poly.
If is shellac all you need to do is add a new coat of shellac to the old finish,let dry and lightly sand with fine steelwool and add another coat a few hours latter.(shellac drys quickly to the touch but dont add more then a few coats in the same day.)

WHY not e-mail Lionheart, and ask how thay finish there dummys? the arms on a dummy take a beating. ;-) (so to speek) I am sure your not the first one to have this problem.
But again refinishing is verry easy, you should have no problems.
Good luck.
sincerly.

yuanfen
06-03-2004, 08:21 AM
Curtis knows what he is talking about.
joy chaudhuri