PDA

View Full Version : Dit Da Jow: A, B and C?

Judge Pen
06-03-2004, 06:44 AM
The jow we use in our school is three part formula. A to heal the bruise, B to make the tissue more resilient topically, and C to be taken internally to promote healing and tissue growth. I tried some jow made by sifu Jake Burroughs this weekend which is reported to me to be an excellent formula, but it's all in one bottle and not to be taken internally. I asked him about his jow and told him about ours and he indicated that he had heard of formulas using 2 to 3 different formulas together, but hadn't encountered any personally.

Just curious, for those that use jow, does your school use a single formula or a combination of formulas like my school?

Ray Pina
06-03-2004, 06:56 AM
I've never encountered Jow to drink.

I've never looked into the formula. At my old school, there was just a huge jug of it to dip into after doing iron palm training.

Now, my master just sends me up the block to the herbal shop but the jury is still out .... I'm not getting the same, "Wow, it's gone" next day results .... but I'm also not getting injured as much anymore either,

red5angel
06-03-2004, 06:58 AM
I have a three part formula - massage, ice/hat, then some icy-hot rub. Repeat until you feel better ;)

Judge Pen
06-03-2004, 06:59 AM
I guess I should clarify: The C forumla can be mixed and taken with a medicine dropper or balled up in a capsule for consumption.

red5angel
06-03-2004, 07:07 AM
oh yeah, I forgot ot mention - Ibuprofren, thats the fourth stage of my 4 part dit dat jow.

count
06-03-2004, 07:14 AM
The only dit dao jow I ever use is a recipe handed down by Ark Wong. It can be taken topically or internally, but don't get pulled over on the road if you drink it. :D I have never seen another formula that wouldn't poison you if you ingested it. There are dit dao pills for internal.

The Willow Sword
06-03-2004, 08:25 AM
I have a half bottle of each A & B and have had it for several years actually. it was from a previous mixture that was a few years old and still soaking in the herbs.

it is still potent. the C, however i dont have ,,but i know of other formulas that help with the internal aspect.

Its funny the A & B is a secret formula with in SD and you dont learn the recipe until you reach a certain black belt level. hahaha i have known the recipe for the dit da since before i even joined SD.

it is easy to get and make yourself,,,you just gotta wait for a while and let the stuff soak in the vodka or rice wine(traditionally)for 6 months or longer would be better.

PEACE,,,TWS

Judge Pen
06-03-2004, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by The Willow Sword

Its funny the A & B is a secret formula with in SD and you dont learn the recipe until you reach a certain black belt level. hahaha i have known the recipe for the dit da since before i even joined SD.

There are several formulas of jow out there. Was the formula that you learned the same as the formula in SD? I think I know where you got your formula from, btw.

MonkeySlap Too
06-03-2004, 09:24 AM
There are thousands of recipes in print out there...if you read Chinese. If you can find a really good Chinese Doctor, he can probably improve your formulas quite a bit.

There are different types of 'hit medicine'...topically applied formulas that are toxic to ingest, as well as formulas that can work topically and ingested...but this latter type is generally less effective topically. There are also formulas that are ingestion only.

I wouldn't get any advice from a kung fu teacher, I'd speak to a qualified Chinese herbalist.

Michael Dasargo
06-03-2004, 09:32 AM
Die Da Jiu (fall and hit wine) will either be a weak external, and good internal formula, or good external and toxic internal formula. The difference is in the type of herbs used. More importantly, the difference lies in the grams used (applicable even to "non-toxic" herbs).

Most internal formulas contain no more than 2g per herb or the concentration may be hazardous to your health. Such is the case with Ma Huang.

Also, due to the industrialization of China, trace amounts of lead and mercury have been found in the herbs, which may be the reason why the internal Jiu is not as popular as the external (aside from the obvious effects of alcohol).

My advice is to stick to the external formula.

Best Regards,
M

Ming Yue
06-03-2004, 10:14 AM
we use "A" pretty much exclusively, although I don't know if any of my classmates are using other TCM herbal supplementation.

I recently made a topical-only batch and visually identified a few of the herbs - maybe 6 out of 15 were considered toxic.

I don't think a combination solution would be as effective as separate ones, but that's just a lay opinion.

GLW
06-03-2004, 10:52 AM
Besides the herbs, and actually the largest ingredient by volume in these things are:

Water
Alcohol

put the two together and you have whiskey...

To make things cheaper, you can use industrial grade Ethanol (but many times, ANY alcohol will do as well).

Compared to whiskeys such as EverClear, Vodka, etc... Ethanol is about 1/5 the cost.

You still mix the Ethanol to get the appropriate Proof (1 proof = 1/2 % alcohol)... If you use 100% alcohol, many recipes will end with the herbs being "burned" chemically and may not work as well.

So, if you use ethanol, you may end up mixing 50/50 water and ethanol.

Downside...this approach means you definitely would NEVER take it internally. Industrial Grade Ethanol is NOT potable (drinkable) and may have trace amounts of Methanol (wood alcohol) and could cause blindness if taken internally.

A long time ago, I had one teacher that admonished us about water on an area that had been treated...and "Bad side effects"

My current teacher is a TCM doctor...and simply laughed at this...It HAD always bothered me as illogical. He stated, no water so you don't wash the medicine off...and followed with "After all, what is it made with - herbs and whiskey - ie, herbs, water, alcohol, and flavorings....so you already have water in it.

Judge Pen
06-03-2004, 10:57 AM
The A batch that I have has been soaked in Vinegar and the B and C I have tried was mixed with alcohol. I've been told that you can also use alcohol for the A as well. The difference being the amount of time to cook the herbs.

Ming Yue
06-03-2004, 11:13 AM
I used the cheapest vodka I can find for my "A" and let it sit in the dark for three months with the occasional gentle shake.

CaptinPickAxe
06-03-2004, 12:24 PM
I had the A & B formula in Shaolin-Do. When I got more Jow under Sifu Kirk he took me & Shake to see Herbalist Shifu Hwang. The formula he sold us is one bottle that does it all. Its the best Jow I've ever used.

Judge Pen
06-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe
I had the A & B formula in Shaolin-Do. When I got more Jow under Sifu Kirk he took me & Shake to see Herbalist Shifu Hwang. The formula he sold us is one bottle that does it all. Its the best Jow I've ever used.

I buy 5 Immortals from Taichi People. Good stuff. I haven't tried their jow. BTW, which Jow do you use. They have 3 different type advertised on thier site.

Royal Dragon
06-03-2004, 02:01 PM
I've got a general purpose formula and jow that is taken both externally, and internally.

First you take the internal one an hour or so before you do the Iron skill, and the Jow is used imedeately before, and after the exercise.

BOTH are the same identical formula.

Personally, when I was useing it steadily, I felt the internal use was doing most of the work, and the external use just helped with bruisings and such from over doing it.

Meat Shake
06-03-2004, 03:08 PM
I have 2 bottles of "super iron palm" jow here, I believe...
The internal "jow" I use is called goldspear. Its absolutely fantastic for healing after a long day of getting spiked...

Gangsterfist
06-03-2004, 03:21 PM
Dit: To bump or bruise
Da: To hit
Jow liniment

So, it can be litterally transalted as, Liniment for bumps and bruises caused by getting hit, I suppose.

I use jow from the OHC, click here (http://www.orientalherb.com/herbal_products_liniments.html) .

I have used all three types of jow. The internal jow I have taken was in a pill form and helped promote internal healing of the tissues and muscles that surround the organs.

I got mine from a traditional chinese doctor who practices accupressure and accupuncture. He also teaches judo, karate, ba gua, xing yi, and taiji (I think he knows a lot of martial arts). He is a good guy. I have worked out with several of his students over the last 6 months.

Judge Pen
06-04-2004, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the links. I bruised the top of my foot pretty bad sparring yesterday morning and limped around all day. I tried Jake's forumla of jow last night and it worked pretty good. Less stiff and the bruise is almost gone. Can't say the results were better than my "A" and "B" forumla but it still worked well.

phantom
06-07-2004, 02:32 PM
I have a question for those of you who take herbs internally. How can you know if you would be allergic to the stuff prior to actually taking it? Thanks in advance.

Gangsterfist
06-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Common sense I suppose. Are you allergic to trees, grasses, plants, etc? If you are then I would be apprehensive about some herbal medicine. Not to say that you cannot take it (depending on the allergy).

Speaking from experience, I used to have really bad allergies. Over the last 4 or 5 years I just stopped taking all medication for my allergies. I just tough it out now, and every year they get weaker and weaker. I live with 2 cats now, where before they drove my allergies insane. My allergies do act up from time to time, but its a fraction of what they used to.

My advice is consult an herbalist or doctor if you are worried about being allergic to something.

Meat Shake
06-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by phantom
I have a question for those of you who take herbs internally. How can you know if you would be allergic to the stuff prior to actually taking it? Thanks in advance.

Im not sure... I got sick as a dog from the "athletes replenish"... Doesnt mean it doesnt work, just doesnt work for me. It also could have been that I took it on an empty stomach... in any case, I spent the evening yelling at the toilet and dont plan on trying it again.