PDA

View Full Version : Forearm Conditioning

Nightmare619
06-03-2004, 12:51 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew any good forearm conditioning drills other than just banging arms with someone else that I could do by myself.

Judge Pen
06-03-2004, 01:26 PM
We fill a PVC pipe with sand (4' long and 4" in diameter) and pop it ou in the air and let it land on our forearms and then roll it up and down. It works ok, but not as well as two person conditioning.

You could secure this somehow and just bang it with your arm too. The PVC is a little more forgiving then wood of metal.

EarthDragon
06-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Rolling steel over your arms is one way, also smaking them with a bundle of bamboo.Use Jow, But just curious why would you want to do this?

Oso
06-03-2004, 07:38 PM
stick with the program...you need the down time between classes to heal up...

give it a full six months and you'll be fine.

bung bo
06-03-2004, 09:04 PM
you can load up a barbell (not too much weight) and let it roll down your forearms. this hurts a bit. you can hit a tree or a basketball goal post. but the 2 person conditioning is the best.

yu shan
06-03-2004, 09:09 PM
I agree with Oso, your arms are going to need a breather. With all the conditioning your school does and the partnered material. Your arms get enough banging time. Include some down time Nightmare. BTW, I like your spirit though, train hard brother.

Oso, give what six months?

Ming Yue
06-03-2004, 10:11 PM
Yu shan,

Oso meant that Nightmare should stick with the 2 man drilling as his forearm conditioning.

You remember what my forearms looked like when we started? mostly bruise with a little flesh color here and there....
Now I hardly ever get anything worth showing off.
:D
:cool:

Oso
06-04-2004, 03:52 AM
The pong lai method works.

I've got a 14 year old who's been doing the drills now since september who makes me cry occasionally. Skinny bugger.

Judge Pen
06-04-2004, 07:06 AM
Skinny arms are great! :D

Nightmare619
06-04-2004, 08:33 AM
Thanks for all the advice, I guess i'm a little eager at times and I need to remind myself that sometimes class is enough and I need to just rest.

Oso
06-04-2004, 08:35 AM
no problemo...one day at a time, you just started my friend.

yu shan
06-05-2004, 02:27 PM
Oso

Trained a little with Judge Pen today. Went over the two basic cond. drills you showed him and Ou lo tsai (sp) Also did tan tui exercise #1, he broke my sunglasses.

Oso
06-05-2004, 02:32 PM
LOL, how'd he do that?

Does that mean I need to step up and break something? ;)

Judge Pen
06-05-2004, 02:41 PM
:o Sorry about the glasses Jim! I'll get you another pair.

Oso, it wasnt' anything impressive. I am just getting used to some of the two man banging that you guys do and hit his glasses by accident. I'm really digging how you guys do forearm conditioning!

Oso
06-05-2004, 03:30 PM
it works, and teaches basic striking and blocking skills.

are you still in Nashville?

I sent you a regular email about the sparring night. Saturday's aren't going to work so we are going to do wednesday nights.

yu shan
06-05-2004, 03:48 PM
He clocked me with a high hanging fist doing tan tui exercise. Oso, I`m in a world of sh*t if you break something, thank God for modern medicine.

Forget the glassess JP, I usually lose or break them anyway. Much more rewarding losing a pair this way! We are not only banging the forearms part of the arm, remember? I`m sure you noticed that we will hit the body if you don`t block. It`s still early, we will progress.

Judge Pen
06-05-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Oso
it works, and teaches basic striking and blocking skills.

are you still in Nashville?

I sent you a regular email about the sparring night. Saturday's aren't going to work so we are going to do wednesday nights.

I came back to Nashville this weekend to see my 'special lady friend' (Big Lebowski reference).

Hmmm. I may sneak down there on a Wednesday night depending on what I have going on Thursday mornings. I'll check my regular e-mail Monday morning.

Judge Pen
06-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by yu shan
He clocked me with a high hanging fist doing tan tui exercise. Oso, I`m in a world of sh*t if you break something, thank God for modern medicine.

Forget the glassess JP, I usually lose or break them anyway. Much more rewarding losing a pair this way! We are not only banging the forearms part of the arm, remember? I`m sure you noticed that we will hit the body if you don`t block. It`s still early, we will progress.

Yeah, I appreciate the intensity of your two man work. Fortnately my skinny arms have been through solo conditioning before, but this is much more efficient and based upon skill based movement so it's cool to learn. :cool:

Oh, how was the movie?