PDA

View Full Version : Migraines

KC Elbows
06-03-2004, 04:15 PM
Anyone had to deal with horrible migraines, like throwing up bad?

KC Elbows
06-03-2004, 06:00 PM
Must sign off, migraine bad, reading bl posts causing too much laughter, head hurts, need to not be sick again.

'nite.

T'ai Ji Monkey
06-03-2004, 06:05 PM
'nite KC.

Sorry, can't help much with your migraines.

I at times get weather related headaches but a Beer or a cup of Mint Tea usually eases those.

Never mind that my buggered knee can accurately predict typhoons too.
:D

thresh
06-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Hey KC, Sorry to hear about your migrane. They suck. I get them every now and again pretty bad also to the point of temporarily screwing up my vision (haven't had one in about a year now). I found they were brought on at times when I was completely stressed out. Though I used to smoke and ate like sh*t. back then also.

The Willow Sword
06-03-2004, 07:13 PM
Migraines are an enigma in it of itself.
Sooo many factors that can cause them,,,stress, chocolate,,red wine,,cheese, high sodium foods,Caffiene,,lack of potassium in the body due to dehydration. the list goes on and on.

Usually the onset of a migraine is when you start to get this blurred vision and your peripheral vision goes out,,its almost like some weird squiggly lines blocking it.. that lasts for about 10/15 minutes,,then the pain starts,,it can be subtle to excrusiating.

My reccomendation is that once the intial symptoms start(the blurred vision) down about three tylenol immediately, it will at least help the effects afterwards. there is that tylenol that is for migraines but i havent taken it. i ususally do the aspirin thing. Then you get out of the light, i mean you just hide in a dark room for the rest of the day,,that helps too.

of course if you can convince your doctor, you can get a prescription for butalbitol(its happy fun pain killers designed for tension headaches):)

PEACE,,TWS

KC Elbows
06-03-2004, 08:51 PM
Back again.

I didn't used to get them until recently. At first I thought they were just sinus headaches from my last nose break, but I started finding I could almost count on getting them if I got too little sleep, like clockwork.

My vision doesn't get blurry, but I literally throw up within an hour after it starts, and periodically from there. They usually last a full day, but have lasted two before.

Visiting the doc tomorrow.

KC Elbows
06-03-2004, 08:52 PM
Excedrin migraine is the only over the counter thing I've found that occasionally does anything to them.

rubthebuddha
06-03-2004, 11:03 PM
kc -- best solutions i've had are:

- drink lots of water, particularly during the summer months
- get regular sleep intervals
- try to keep your blood sugar levels consistent throughout the day
- and massage that muscular/webby/etc. area between your thumbs and forefingers. it's a common acu region, and it just feels good. :)
- hell, massage your whole arms. when your hand gets tired, switch arms, then switch back when that's tired. try massaging anything to keep your circulation happier. not sure if this will cure headaches, but at least the rest of you will be working better, and it can take the focus (somewhat) off the throbbing mass that is your frontal lobe. it's like punching yourself in the nuts to take your mind off your freshly stubbed toe, but less destructive.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-03-2004, 11:51 PM
suzi gets migrains as bad as you described. all she can do is throw up and sleep.

my recommendation is lots of beer. i have never had a migrain, but last time i had a really bad headache 6 beers got rid of it completely. you might need 12.

i know beer is my answer for everything, but thats because it is the answer for everything.

joedoe
06-03-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
suzi gets migrains as bad as you described. all she can do is throw up and sleep.

my recommendation is lots of beer. i have never had a migrain, but last time i had a really bad headache 6 beers got rid of it completely. you might need 12.

i know beer is my answer for everything, but thats because it is the answer for everything.

Now if you also said the same thing of donuts, I would be convinced that you are Homer Simpson :D

rubthebuddha
06-04-2004, 12:03 AM
gda's favorite salute :D (http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/r/d/rds182/simpsons/homer/alcosoln.wav)

Kristoffer
06-04-2004, 02:55 AM
didn't read the rest of this so if someone already posted this I appologize. I know acupuncture can help cure migraine. I have a friend who 'suffered' from it but acupuncture apparantly helped.

Eddie
06-04-2004, 05:23 AM
I suffer from extreme migraines. I get cluster migraines, and was diagnosed with something called complex partial epilepsy. The Dr found a growth in my brain which triggers this, but this is not the only cause. I have tried everything, and changed my diet so many times over the years.

When I was around 20 or 21 my dr presicribed anti depressants, but all that did was make me put on some weight. Then a year or so back, I did a mild dose of chemo, but it didn’t work. I was taking something called Desiril, but they a half a month of pills cost me more than my monthly salary. That worked, but messed my body up completely. I couldn’t take it anymore.

I realised that the only thing that really works, is to do allot of training. Its not easy at first, but the headaches gets fewer with time.

Don’t eat anything with MSGs, and if you have to, then just eat a little and drink allot of water.
I feel for you dude, there are times that I got it so bad that I go for weeks with a migraine.

I don’t know if the drugs have the same names where you are that over here, but what really works fast is something called emigran. Do a search for it on a south African search engine www.ananzi.com to get the chemical name for it, and ask your dr. One injection of this, takes only 5 minutes to clear a migraine. They have nose spray as well.

Good luck. My neurologist said “ don’t let this rule your life” . That’s the only way to beat it.

Becca
06-04-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by KC Elbows
Excedrin migraine is the only over the counter thing I've found that occasionally does anything to them.
Perckagisic also helps, but it can be hard to find. From what you are describbing, I'd be your head aches are more of a cluster head ache than a migrain. The biggest difference is that Clusters don't blurr your vission and hit like a mack truck with no warning.

KC Elbows
06-04-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Becca

Perckagisic also helps, but it can be hard to find. From what you are describbing, I'd be your head aches are more of a cluster head ache than a migrain. The biggest difference is that Clusters don't blurr your vission and hit like a mack truck with no warning.

That's exactly what the doctor just said. Thanks Becca. I'd kiss you, were it not for that **** restraining order!

Xebsball
06-04-2004, 03:51 PM
ooooooooh little sissy boy KC is having head pain, poor boy

try imagine the pain of having to use your hands for years cos you cant get a female, then at some point one of your hands doesnt give you result anymore and you star using the other. then this other one stops working too - and then your in great helpless pain, not like the sissy boy headaches you get

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-04-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
gda's favorite salute :D (http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/r/d/rds182/simpsons/homer/alcosoln.wav)

that is now what i hear everytime i load icq.

Toby
06-06-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Eddie
...That sucks. Good onya for not letting it dominate you.