View Full Version : Xanda on DVD.....

Suntzu
06-04-2004, 08:34 AM
..... finally....

http://www.pokerindustries.com/poker.store?page=item&sku=XANDA-DVD

Chang Style Novice
06-04-2004, 08:36 AM
Sweeeeeeeeet...

I posted my review of Liu Chia Liang's "Drunken Monkey" down in Martial Media a few days ago, if anyone's interested in that one. Precis - dude, it RAWKS!

Suntzu
06-04-2004, 08:55 AM
i've been slippin on my martial arts movies lately........ Druken Monkey is definitly one that i want to pick up...... plus with the flood of Shaw Bros. movies...... i'm never gonna be able to keep a dollar.....

Pork Chop
06-04-2004, 08:59 AM
Suntzu

Thinking about picking up the Duke Roufus vids.
Between those, the John Brown set, and the ones from Title; I think we should be busy for a while.
Definitely wanna see Drunken Monkey and Xanda.
I have most of the shaw flix already.
i also have about 20 or 30 blank tapes.
methinks we need to start up the recordin process :D

Chang Style Novice
06-04-2004, 09:01 AM
Yeah, honestly, these days I'm feeling the old westerns and suspense thrillers a little more than the chop sockey.

Here's what I rented for the weekend:

The Holcroft Covenant ('85) - dir. John Frankenheimer, starring Michael Caine

The Desperate Hours ('55) - dir. William Wyler, starring Bogie and Fredric March

The Big Country ('58) - dir. William Wyler, starring Gregory Peck and Charlton Heston

and uh...

Jabberwocky ('77) - dir. Terry Gilliam, starring Michael Palin. Hey, laughs are important, too!

Suntzu
06-04-2004, 09:04 AM
i'm talking SB on DVD REMASTERED and in WIDESCREEN(a/vphile... or would be if i could afford it :()..... thats that ish right there...... Xanda (in dts!!!)is on its way to the house now..... i ordered a Ramon Dekker dvd with alot of his fights.... and STILL gotta pay BGE so they can get of my a$$......

Chang Style Novice
06-04-2004, 09:06 AM
It's true. Pan-n-scan is totally owned by widescreen.

Pork Chop
06-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Like I said, I got the remastered wide screen dvds.
But I understand if you'd rather have your own dvds instead of dubs.

gotta see the xanda and the dekker vid :D

Did u ever see my bas rutten tapes?

Suntzu
06-04-2004, 09:17 AM
Like I said, I got the remastered wide screen dvds. :eek: :D

But I understand if you'd rather have your own dvds instead of dubs. one of these days.....
Did u ever see my bas rutten tapes? sho'll didn't.......

It's true. Pan-n-scan is totally owned by widescreen. true-er words have never been spoken.....

MasterKiller
06-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Wow! They had a wide-screen VCD of Disciples of the 36th Chamber (AKA MasterKiller III). I've never seen it on anything except a Region 3 DVD, so I haven't been able to watch it.

I ordered it with much haste.

Suntzu
06-04-2004, 09:36 AM
region free players are pimp....... envy me :D

Chang Style Novice
06-04-2004, 09:40 AM
My player is just like this one - I highly recommend 'em. Region free is indeed the jayum. And surprisingly affordable! (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50599&item=5702968359&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW#ebayphotohosting)

Tak
06-04-2004, 09:47 AM
Most modern players can be made region-free - check out http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

MasterKiller
06-04-2004, 09:50 AM
That is pretty cheap. Still, I don't know if I want to buy another DVD player just to watch a few movies. There aren't a whole lot of Region 3 DVDs I want. Disciples of 36th Chamber just happened to be one I've been looking for to complete my MasterKiller collection.

Chang Style Novice
06-04-2004, 09:54 AM
Well, it works just as well for every other disc I've tried with it (region 0, CDs, CD-r, CD-rw, mp3 cd) so you could ditch the old one and make the malata your primary.

Plus its so CUTE and LITTLE!

MasterKiller
06-04-2004, 09:59 AM
Yeah, but my Sony DVD player works so well my Sony Wega TV, Sony Stereo, Sony Direct TV Reciever, and Sony VCR.

1 remote to rule them all.

Suntzu
06-04-2004, 10:40 AM
i have an older Malata and it is HUGE........ now i envy u......

jun_erh
06-04-2004, 11:43 AM
I get all my stuff on vcd because it's cheap. I just have a regular dvd player. The ong Bak vcd looks incredible.

I have Xanda vcd too. It's great as well. Vcd's don't have any bonus stuff though. See Xanda and Ong Bak however you can

Suntzu
06-04-2004, 12:18 PM
vcds also doesn't have dts......... they are cool if its a movie i'm suspect about or can't get it any other way...... they are the fat chicks of audio/visual.....

MasterKiller
06-04-2004, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Suntzu
vcds also doesn't have dts......... they are cool if its a movie i'm suspect about or can't get it any other way...... they are the fat chicks of audio/visual..... VHS is the fat chick of A/V.

VCDs are more like the almost cute girl, with the 80s hair, and the white leather boots with tassels, that you wouldn't mind fizzucking as long as your friends don't see you with her.

MasterKiller
06-07-2004, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by jun_erh
I get all my stuff on vcd because it's cheap. I just have a regular dvd player. The ong Bak vcd looks incredible.

I have Xanda vcd too. It's great as well. Vcd's don't have any bonus stuff though. See Xanda and Ong Bak however you can Are the VCDs on multiple discs? I have a pet peeve about swapping out discs.

GeneChing
08-24-2004, 05:26 PM
We now carry Xanda on DVD (http://store.martialartsmart.net/dvd64387.html)

Chang Style Novice
08-25-2004, 07:55 AM
This is the kind of thing that really makes me long for some disposable income...

Suntzu
08-25-2004, 08:36 AM
pretty good movie.... it kinda goes off on some other journey for a few.... but it's pretty good.... but how do you make a movie about San Da and only show like 2 sidekicks...... good throws though..... Tsui Hark should have directed it.... but the other dude did an OK job......

GeneChing
08-25-2004, 10:04 AM
...I was let down by this movie. I expected a lot more from the fight choreography with three real top Sanda fighters. Actually, the movie has a good story and some fine character development, but I felt the ending didn't really work. I did like the way it captured the look and feel of mainland China, the difference between countryside and city. It really bothers me that they spelled it Xanda - the Chinese characters for the title are sanda. Reminds me of Xiaolin Showdown (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=26674)

Suntzu
08-25-2004, 11:20 AM
the fight scenes were a bit.... i don't know... off... the fight at the restaurant was cool tho.... upon 2nd and 3rd viewing i enjoyed it more.... would have loved more training sequences tho..... but it's not like there are an abundence of san da movies to compare it to....

GeneChing
08-25-2004, 01:41 PM
I was actually surprised about how much screen presence the three fighter actors had - not so much for the villain (it's easy to play a stereotypic villian in an MA flick) but the lead guys actually turned in a decent performance. Where I felt it lacked was the martial arts/trainin sequences. It was a really good idea - traditional guy gets his butt kicked in sanda, but then resolves his trad. training and becomes a champ - but it just didn't flesh out well for me. Anyway, if you want to support the forum, pick up a copy from MartialArtsMart (http://www.martialartsmart.com), or at least tell a friend to do so. ;)