PDA

View Full Version : Tai Boxing... unbeatable ?

TzuChan
05-22-2001, 10:56 PM
Hello again,

My brother and I watched a documentair about martial arts last night on .. National Geographic :) And I must say I was kind of surprised, they showed these fragments of how little 6 year olds start training their style of martial arts. Now then they showed us some rounds from this tournament where every style could fight another style. And as they showed us it was as if the Thai boxers were simply unbeatable, you had this kung fu guy, he got raped by the thai boxers side kicks in the ribs, some others just crashed down on the ground when they receaved 3 punches in the head. Now I started wondering if this was actually the truth, I can't beleave it is. I know that you learn thai boxing probably alot faster, but let's say that you have equally skilled Thai Boxer vs Equally skilled WC guy, who will win ?

You practice Wing Chun ? COntact me on my icq ! 71470721(my name there is "vision")

old jong
05-23-2001, 02:29 AM
...Nobody is unbeatable! Any style can beat any style.It depends on the fighters.If the kickboxer trains 6 hrs a day 6 days a week and the kung fu guy 1 1/2 hrs 2 times a week.It is normal the kickboxer wins! It is like that:Kung fu gives you back what you put in it. ;)

C'est la vie!

Armin
05-23-2001, 08:59 AM
Hi Tzu`Chan!

You got a lot of questions, don't you? But, no problem: Ask and you shall receive - or so :) .

Ok, let's compare: A Kung Fu-fighter and a Thai-Boxer in a ring, both have 6 years experience. Who will win? It's sad, but I believe it'll be the Thai-Boxer.

Why? Very easy: take a look at the training of both. On the one hand you have the Thai-Boxer, who trains extremely hard (full contact) and who does a lot of fighting drills with a partner. On the other hand there's the Kung Fu-man, that doesn't train full-contact and not as nearly hard as the Thai-Boxer.

Now, put them on the street - no rules at all. Who will win now? On first thought - the Thai-Boxer. On second thought - one of them, because now the style doesn't matter. Now it depends only on the person and how he acts.

Armin.

atsai
05-23-2001, 10:55 AM
You're a neophyte like me... ;)

Thai boxers train professionally and train hard..., if you train as they do, you'll probably think differently about thai boxing being unbeatable. There're other "kung fu fighters" who beat Thai boxers even at their own game.

Here's a little anecdote:

Shuai-chiao Master David Lin, well known student of Ch'ang, had a match w/ a visiting thai boxer from Thailand. Lin was a high schooler in Taiwan at the time and the Thai boxer was supposedly a champion. Lin kept a low stance and shoot in as the boxer kicked. He grabbed the kicking leg and sweep the supporting leg--you know what happened next. When the Thai boxer stood up, one of his finger was turned in a weird, freakish way ("he must have landed wrong", Lin said), so they stopped the fight.

Feeling better? :)

btw, David Lin trains hard--up to ten hrs a day w/ Grandmaster Ch'ang.

<TABLE BORDER="3" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="1"><TR><TD><form><INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE=" Art T " onClick="parent.location='http://people.we.mediaone.net/arttsai/home.html'"></TD></TR></table></form><HR Width="97%">"You fight like you train." --Motto, USN Fighter Weapon School (TOPGUN)

[This message was edited by Art T on 05-24-01 at 02:01 AM.]

TzuChan
05-23-2001, 12:37 PM
But you understood me wrong :

The thai boxer has 6 years of training, 6 hours a day

The Wing Chun has 6 years of training, 6 hours a day

Wing Chun is h o l l y

dave the dragon
05-23-2001, 02:52 PM
the 2 are completely different . i spent 3 months in thailand last year and there is not one of them that i would f*ck with . theyre up and training 4 hours every morning .as a champion fighter over there they can earn up to 60k which is about 30 times the average annual income for the country . so as you can imagine everybody wants a piece of the action.
muay tai is a style of fighting with strengths and weaknesses like any other fighting style(except ving tsun(joke!))the individual dedication to training a nd perseverance are the only things that will determine the winner
as for the last question it can never be given a credible response because it si completely hypothetical

Dave

wingchunner
05-23-2001, 04:09 PM
1st, anyone can get lucky with a punch.

2nd, if someone wants to sneak up on you from behind and knock you out or kill you, realisticly, there is very little you can do. [I know there are tons of what if scenarios for this.]

3rd It depends on how well one and how long one has trained in the Wing Chun theories. Muay Thai theory vs. Wing Chun theory, I would say Wing Chun theory would win, definitely.

During the first year of Wing Chun training, especially, that is when the Wing Chun will be the least effective due to the amount of time learning how to relax and be soft, and the time it takes to physically develop the Wing Chun theories, while Muay Thai relies heavily on atheletic abilities. Once one has grasped the Wing Chun theories and physically developed them, the Wing Chun stylist will continue to become more skilled and at least give the Muay Thai person a hard time if not defeat them. Alot depends on training the theories (of which time is a factor), aggressiveness, and intent.

I think an mature Muay Thai fighter would do less against a young Muay Thai fighter, than a mature Wing Chun fighter would. But, again, there are too many factors.

I have a video of Muay Thai kickboxing in Thailand and I'm not impressed. It looks horrible. I have seen at a tournament (San Shou) Muay Thai vs. other Kung Fu styles and they did horribly. But, you never know, maybe their training wasn't too good.

But, theory vs. theory.... Wing Chun wins. Hands down.

One thing I can say for MT is that they fight the way they train. Our school of WC does too. But I have seen other schools train one way and fight another. Just seems the way you fight should reflect the way you train.

Marty

Be true and loving.
http://wingchun.ereasons.net

atsai
05-24-2001, 05:09 AM
If the wing chun guy and the Muay Thai guy trained same amount of time w/ same devotion, same intensity and w/ equally competent teachers, the WC guy should be able to beat the Thai boxer w/ one hand tied behind his back. Hey, what do you expect? If i think otherwise I wouldn't be learning wing chun! :D

Good luck w/ your training! :)

<TABLE BORDER="3" CELLSPACING="1" CELLPADDING="1"><TR><TD><form><INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE=" Art T " onClick="parent.location='http://people.we.mediaone.net/arttsai/home.html'"></TD></TR></table></form><HR Width="97%">"You fight like you train." --Motto, USN Fighter Weapon School (TOPGUN)

Armin
05-24-2001, 08:50 AM
Hi guys!

Of course, we all believe that wing chun would do better than Thai-Boxing or MT (otherwise we'd be training MT). But IMO it'll be a very hard piece of fight!

1st: You have to get the boxer before he's in his attack -> if not you have to very careful not to "run" into his attack.

2nd: A MT-Boxer does good in kicking-, boxing- and ellbow-distance (again the distances :) ). But I think that as long as he doesn't get you with his first attack and you're able to "chi sao" him, you got good chances to win.

For me, the biggest problem is, that a good MT-boxer is used to getting hit - you really have to concentrate on his eyes, nuts and throat. Every other target wouldn't harm him as much that he would stop attacking.

Armin.

Koing
05-26-2001, 10:51 PM
"For me, the biggest problem is, that a good MT-boxer is used to getting hit - you really have to concentrate on his eyes, nuts and throat. Every other target wouldn't harm him as much that he would stop attacking."

he may be used to getting hit but if you hit him with a punch to the chin or body with some varied chain punches then I still think hes going to go down. Surely you'd realised this with WC we do. He if hes very lucky might be able to take the first one but you don't stop at that you keep on going untilhes out.

hes still going to do down.

AS for the WC Vs MT guy I think WC would win. As I've done some Thai boxing but the school was kind of crappy I suppose (not saying all of them arne't but hey I'm int he UK and theres not many good places to learn anything here) it would get slaughtered by WC that I do now.

"Bye 4 now; not 4 ever"

Grappling-Insanity
05-27-2001, 07:53 AM
If I had to put my money on one it would be the MT guy. I've seen some pro MT guys fight and buddy they could literally snap some1's leg with those kicks. As for the guy talking about the chain punch.... one thing you got to worry about is eating a leg kick or a elbow. I've actually seen it happen, I sh*t you not. Now I dont know what the other guy practiced but he said it was kung fu. He tried doing a running style series of punches, they were in a circular motion kinda. Now from what I've heard this would be a strait blast (chain punching?) the MT guy took 1 shot to the chin stepped in and ROCKED him with a elbow. The WC guy dropped like a sack of patatoes it looked pretty nasty blood everywhere and so on.

OdderMensch
05-27-2001, 08:16 PM
heheh JK

Grappling-Insanity

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> As for the guy talking about the chain punch.... one thing you got to worry about is eating a leg kick or a elbow. I've actually seen it happen, I sh*t you not. Now I dont know what the other guy practiced but he said it was kung fu. He tried doing a running style series of punches, they were in a circular motion kinda. Now from what I've heard this would be a strait blast (chain punching?) the MT guy took 1 shot to the chin stepped in and ROCKED him with a elbow. [/quote]

sounds like he wasn't a "WC guy" or if he was, a very low-level student. If you are chain-punching the intent is (at least) two fold :

a) attack rapidly down the shortest possible path

b) protect your centerline from incoming attacks.

so as soon as this elbow came in the WC guys sensetivity should have "told" his own arm to become an elbow as well, thus negateing the MTs guys elbow. I haveseen a bit on the "straight blast" or the "running chain punch" and IMHO while they may excell at point A of a chain punch it totaly fails at point B.

Tzu`Chan

I saw that same documentery a few weeks ago, cept is was about how Karate rocked the world and all other arts paled before its might! It was called "Fighting Black Kings"

My sifu put out a tape series a few years back and one of the tapes had a bit specificly dealing with the kickboxer. in Paticular he said "Kickboxers are the most prevelent form of trained opponents, and most deadly are those trained in MT...but WC has an answer"

he warns against the powerful kicks, knees and elbow, but never forget WC is designed to deal with trained opponents!

Grappling-Insanity
05-28-2001, 03:20 AM
Did look kinda weak.