PDA

View Full Version : "Tennis" elbow

scotty1
02-25-2004, 08:30 AM
Hi

The lady next to me at work suffers from tennis elbow which basically never gets better, she doesn't know what to do with it and shes always using her arm, obviously. Plus she's in a typing intensive job.

So, anybody ever fixed this or have any experience with tennis elbow?

Just being a good samaritan.:)

Thanks in advance to all you tennis players.

rubthebuddha
02-25-2004, 10:05 AM
http://www.tennis-elbow.net/tenniselbow.htm

and i'd suggest accupuncture, just to get everything in the joint flowing properly again.

Ford Prefect
02-25-2004, 11:19 AM
www.activerelease.com

CD Lee
02-26-2004, 10:47 PM
I have played competitive tennis for 8 years straight. My suggestion is this:

1. Get a racquet that is geared for people with tennis elbow. One that will absorb a large amount of the impact.

2. String the racquet on a lower string tension!!!

2.1 Use a string that is specifically made to reduece impact to the elbow! There are PLENTY. Check a PRO SHOP ANYWHERE! Check out TENNIS MAGAZINE. Look in the back, call the vendors.

3. Use a elbow shock absorbtion device. Once again, check a pro shop!!!!!!

4. Don't use a western grip on the forehand.

5. Make sure you NEVER lead with your ELBOW on a backhand stroke.

6. NEVER put your THUMB up the side of the racquet handle on a BACKHAND...EVER! This guarantees tennis elbow without question.

There can be lot that can cause it, but after reviewing the suggestions above, I highly recommend visiting a PRO SHOP.

She can get over this if she is willing to work at it.

rubthebuddha
02-27-2004, 12:33 AM
CD Lee -- as a former competitive tennis player, i agree with everything but the comment on western grip. i don't disagree either. i'm just curious why not a western?

IronFist
02-27-2004, 02:06 AM
What's a western grip and how does it differ from a non-western grip?

scotty1
02-27-2004, 05:31 AM
Thanks guys, I'll let her know.

Yang Fool
06-04-2004, 10:57 AM
Anyone have this? Been massaging with Dit Dar Jow and ice seems to help a lot but it's been about 4 weeks and it wont go away. Is there a stretch that helps?

FooFighter
06-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Go seek a doctor, rest it, and take some medicine. I dont think Dit Da Jow will help you, but who knows?

IronFist
06-05-2004, 01:12 PM
I should know this, but what causes Tennis Elbow?

FooFighter
06-06-2004, 09:31 AM
Iron:

I think over use of the elbow or too many self loving play.

MasterKiller
06-07-2004, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
I should know this, but what causes Tennis Elbow? It's just tendonitis with a fancy-schmancy pansy-boy name. Real men call it "street fighter elbow" because you can get it from the thousands of pushing repetitions required to master a 6-button arcade fighting game.

PLCrane
06-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Tennis elbow is caused by hitting the ball backhand with the wrist flexed. (Martial artists might do the same with a weapon.) This causes a high-impact load to be placed on the muscles and tendons when they're already stretched and in a weak position.

There are other things that could cause similar pain at the elbow, and that includes things going on with the wrist or the shoulder.

Those who get this sort of thing from too much pushing buttons would benefit from strengthening the wrist and finger extensors, to counter-balance all that work (or play) they're doing with the flexors.

PLC

IronFist
06-10-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by PLCrane
Tennis elbow is caused by hitting the ball backhand with the wrist flexed. (Martial artists might do the same with a weapon.) This causes a high-impact load to be placed on the muscles and tendons when they're already stretched and in a weak position.

Interesting. I didn't know that. Thanks.

But I thought the wrist was straight during a backhand?

PLCrane
06-11-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by IronFist
But I thought the wrist was straight during a backhand?

Yeah, it's supposed to be straight. Here's a better description.

http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/tennis_elbow/
Lateral epicondylitis
Injury to the lateral aspect of the elbow is the most common upper extremity tennis injury. Tennis elbow is generally caused by overuse of the extensor tendons of the forearm, particularly the extensor carpi radialis brevis. Commonly experienced by the amateur player, this injury is often a result of (1) a one-handed backhand with poor technique (the ball is hit with the front of the shoulder up and power generated from the forearm muscles), (2) a late forehand swing preparation with resulting wrist snap to bring the racquet head perpendicular to the ball, or (3) while serving, the ball is hit with full power and speed with wrist pronation (palm turned downward) and wrist snap which increases the stress on the already taught extensor tendons.

Yang Fool
06-14-2004, 10:22 AM
Interesting- mine was almost better but I couldn't pass up the chance to do some sparring with the new soft weapons we made. They are PVC pipe covered in foam insulation. They end up being a little heavy and there is no weight in handle for balance like a sword.
Where that tendon attaches to elbow is THE anchor for objects you are trying to control.
I got accupuncture from a TCM studnt at my school and it is 90 percent better

inic
06-14-2004, 11:24 AM
I wonder if I have that. I injured my elbow last summer from lifting too much and just over exhurting myself. Still hurts now, but not nearly as much as last year. It more feels tight with a little pain.

Yang Fool
06-14-2004, 12:21 PM
One of the classic symptoms of lateral epicondylitis is that it is painful to lift even light objects. I could do a push-up and feel mild discomfort yet lifting a cup of tea would be extremely painful. It's also a hard tendon to give rest to if you work with your hands at all- computer mouse included.