PDA

View Full Version : Video Learnin' - Training for Health

Vash
06-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Okay, here's the deal:

My younger brother, ripe old age of 13, is a bit overweight and out of shape. It's nigh impossible to get the boy to agree to do anything fitness related. Been trying since before I got crippled.

But, he and my youngest brother were outside playing basketball today, and I had myself some fun. I started dribbling out of different Isshinryu stances. When I ran out of those, I started in on some Joi Baat Seen Kuen footwork, sans the upper body movements. Little brother liked it. So, we got to talking, I made him a deal: after I get healed up and training again, he and I are going to start working on learning CLF's Drunken form. If he does that, and the training required to make the body more apt at this form, then there will be zero pressure to do any other type of "official" work out.

I know that I can get him in shape doing this. Plus, I intend to learn it just because it looks fun (and wil enable me to look at my art from a new angle).

Any thoughts on this?

MasterKiller
06-04-2004, 12:54 PM
Laotion hookers will do the job in 1/2 the time.

Vash
06-04-2004, 03:51 PM
You would know.

What's your wife's name again? ;)

SPJ
06-04-2004, 08:29 PM
I have studied some drunken forms. But I am no expert, though.

If my Chinese is right, you mean drunken 8 gods.

I had to start with steps.

Then the posture/stance.

Then movements of arms and legs in a "balance" way.

You are forward, you are backward.

You are left, you are right.

You are down, then you are up.

Your upper body falling back, you foot is kicking.

On and on.

Best of luck.

Better find a teacher, though. If you are not doing it right, you may injure yourself plenty of times.

Vash
06-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Indeed, we need a teacher for it. However, I've got a decent bit of experience in exercise and martial arts, so I think I can help him get through it with as few injuries as possible.

Hopefully, before the summer's out, I'll have the opportunity to get over to Troy Dunwood's school, so's I can learn proper Drunken technique. However, right now, I'm doing this to help him just get healthy and active. He really needs something he can feel positive about, but he doesn't want to do karate any more. Which is a shame; he was really good at it. Excellent fighter, especially for his age group at the time.

Thanks for the thoughts, SPJ, any advice at all is encouraged and appreciated.

Please keep in mind, though, I'm not doing this for the martial applicability (at least, not for my brother), this is just a way I can help him get in shape. SO please, keep your comments geared around that idea. Thanks!

WanderingMonk
06-04-2004, 08:46 PM
I think it is a good idea. It is not like vash is telling his brother that after learning the drunken boxing from a video, his brother will be a good fighter. It is just something to get the blood flowing and some exercise. If it sparks his brother's interest, why not give it a go.

SPJ
06-04-2004, 11:10 PM
I am a karate fan, too.

If for fun, then focus on steps, stances, and dodging.

This way that would compliment karate a great deal.

The 8 gods are secret Wushu for over 3000 years. There are Iron Claws, sword play and more.

Many drunken forms:

Drunken snake, drunken Buddha, drunken arhat (louhan), drunken beggar, drunken ---, on and on.

Deception. Deception. Deception.

The noise is in the east. The strike is in the west. (Shen Dong Ji Xi)

Have fun!

SPJ
06-04-2004, 11:58 PM
My favorites are Drunken Crane and Drunken Mantis.

Of course, you have to study Crane style, and Praying Mantis first.

Drunken style over all is more advanced.

I forgot. Just for fun.

:o

SPJ
06-05-2004, 07:34 AM
Never say never. There is Drunken Tai Ji.

It is a mixture of Drunken boxing and Yang Tai Ji.

I first started my Wushu learning with Shaolin long boxing, some are similar to karate. Then I studied Mantis. I was so used to fast tempo and "powerful" strikes (punch and kick).

I had very difficult time to study Tai Ji. Since it requires a lot of standing in posture, slow movement. I was so bored to death.

One day I saw a teacher doing Drunken Tai Ji. I loved it instantly.

The tempo is not slow-slow and slow. It is fast, slow, fast and slow. The Tai Ji moves are the same, it just has a fast tempo at the start of each move (you are actually Fa Jin).

Drunken styles: The slow slow fast, slow fast, slow slow slow fast. The slow is to confuse and manuever. The fast is to neutralize and attack. The fast may be manuever, too.

The tempo and steps make it fun.

Sort of remix of some of your already know Wushu.

The country music may be remixed to a fast pop music. Vice versa. Sort of.

So Drunken your style. It is a unique boxing. It may also be a deviant/derivative of a lot of Wushu.

Have a 'Drunken" fun.

Vash
06-05-2004, 09:20 AM
SPJ:

Thanks for the input. You're obviously a very informed CMA practitioner.

In regards to the Drunken training which I shall undergo with my brother, for him, it's a matter of fitness. For me, it's the same matter as any other martial training; to grow as an artist.

God willing, I'll eventually be able to participate in actual Drunken style (after talking with Sifu Dunwood, I'm rather interested in his particular style). But, as I won't be able to do so in the near future, I am confident in my ability to take the techniques and principles derived from the video and apply them in an environment of continually increasing pressure. Of course, I won't claim to be a master of CLF's Joi Baat Seen Kuen, it's just going to be another tool in the toolbox.

My plans for the future in my training include not only a detailed study of Drunken Kung Fu, but also official training in the Matsumura (Machimura) Hakutsuru system.

I think that with Isshinryu Karate, Matsumura Hakutsuru, and Drunken Kung Fu, I'll have a pretty decent training regimen.

Dim Wit Mak
06-05-2004, 10:36 AM
I'm not familiar with the forms you are talking about, but as a public school teacher, I advise you to do whatever works. People have different interests, and obviously you have tapped into one the kid likes. It could be a passing fancy for him, or it could be the beginning of a likelong venture into martial training. You won't know until you give it a shot. so go for it.:)

SPJ
06-05-2004, 07:32 PM
Karate Vash:

Absolutely!

Very wise decisions. Stay with your own Wushu/karate, and spice it up with a little bit extra. Eventually, you may have something so unique that you may call it your own.

Sort of "Vash-ryu".

Have fun. Drunken style is a very delicate balance game. You absolutely have to have a good footwork. The hands and body movements are to confuse.

Vash
06-05-2004, 08:50 PM
Yeah, I kinda hafta stick with the Okinawan Karate. It just feels natural for me to do it. Kinda like breathing, I guess. Overdramatic, but it's about apt.

I'm really looking forward to getting back into training. I'm certain the lessons I gleam from Drunken will positively impact my overall fighting ability. Plus, it'll be kinda cool to be able to bust out some Drunken Boxing in the middle of free sparring ;)

Thanks for the positive input. I appreciate it.