PDA

View Full Version : Whats the difference?

MonkeySlap Too
06-04-2004, 03:10 PM
What is the difference between mainland Wing tschun and the hong kong style?

foolinthedeck
06-05-2004, 11:46 AM
depends which 'mainland' you have in mind i suppose!
but will also depend on lineage, teacher, etc... you probably cant answer it so easily.

also hong kong is probably better.

KPM
06-06-2004, 04:17 AM
In some circles in the past, "Mainland" has been used to refer to Yuen Kay Shan/Sum Nun WCK and "Hong Kong" has been used to refer to Yip Man WCK. But there are other WCK systems in Mainland China than Sum Nun, and other WCK systems in Hong Kong than Yip Man. So in a more general sense you really can't make a comparison.

Keith

CFT
06-07-2004, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by KPM
In some circles in the past, "Mainland" has been used to refer to Yuen Kay Shan/Sum Nun WCK and "Hong Kong" has been used to refer to Yip Man WCK. But there are other WCK systems in Mainland China than Sum Nun, and other WCK systems in Hong Kong than Yip Man. So in a more general sense you really can't make a comparison.

Keith Even within Yip Man WCK there exists a "Mainland" branch. He had a handful of students in Foshan before he moved to Hong Kong; the school I currently attend claims lineage through Lun Jie sifu.

stuartm
06-07-2004, 03:27 AM
Id agree with whats said above. Im lucky enough to have been to Foshan and played chi sau with some YKS and Sum Nung students. Its impossible to state what the difference in the chi sao is as everyones energy is so different. I did some chi sao recently with an Ip Chun student and it made me realise how my chi sao had changed in emphasis since moving to Ip Ching line.

The forms do look a little different though, but there so much interpretation in our art that its nigh on impossible to set out what characterises different wing chun lines. Maybe thats no bad thing though, with variety being the spice of life and all that !!!!!

Stuart

Nick Forrer
06-07-2004, 05:50 AM
A couple of years ago my instructor and some of his students (WSL/HK lineage) went to Fatsan and there was a 'comparison' between the two types of WC which I have on video.

Purely from what I have seen on this video (with usual caveats/ qualifiers etc.) and from touching hands with someone from YKS lineage I would say the main differences with us are

1) Fatsan forms in general more 'flowery' and have more of a 'tai chi' appearence when performed.

2) In SLT upper body is involved in actions whereas in our SLT the upper body (i.e. the torso) remains stationary throughout.

3) Sometimes use a 'circling hands' platform rather than luk sau (i.e. tan/bong/fook). platform during chi sau.

4) In terms of turning - c.o.g moves when turning whereas ours stays in the same place- i.e. emphasis on shifting cog away from incoming force rather than diverting incoming force away from cog

5) Stance narrower- knees closer together

yuanfen
06-07-2004, 06:26 AM
Nick- thanks for your post. I understood your clear summary.
Other visitors have said similar things.

Tom Kagan
06-07-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by MonkeySlap Too
What is the difference between mainland Wing tschun and the hong kong style?

The difference is about two hundred miles, more or less.
;)

(Yes, I've experienced them both.)

reneritchie
06-07-2004, 01:37 PM
Tom has the best answer thusfar.

I sometimes see more difference between two students of a famous teacher than between two famous teachers.