PDA

View Full Version : Enter the Matrix

JetKuen
06-04-2004, 07:11 PM
As if there weren't enough threads, here's a new one.

I just bought the "Enter the Matrix" video game on Playstation 2...and it is AWESOME. The best Kung fu game around, plus there are actual WC moves the characters do. And if that won't please you enough, just shoot'em dead.

But, what makes this the BEST (that I've played) is you can slow down the time like in the movie (bullet time). So you're characters can actually dodge bullets AND you can fight in slow motion which looks VERY COOL!

...and run on walls, flips, etc...just like the movie.

Perfect for Kung fu fans...or at least Generation X.

foolinthedeck
06-05-2004, 11:32 AM
i wasnt aware that there were any 'actual wing chun moves'.
wing chun is a philosophy with concepts, not 'moves' and 'techniques'. a wing chun video game still wouldnt be wing chun because there'd be no sensitivity, no relaxation, no structure...

that said its still funny when you see the odd bong sau in films and games.

so lets make this thread more interesting: do u agree with me could wing chun be expressed in video games or not?

JetKuen
06-08-2004, 02:46 PM
Okay, I understand your point and agree. However, I believe the "physical" part of WC could be used in video games and IMO already is. Granted there would be no philosophy, but it's just a game not a way of life.

The WC moves I was referring to were more specifically the Gwat-sau and Lau-sau. No, you're correct, they aren't "moves," but they are used in WC and you can see them in the game.

AmanuJRY
06-09-2004, 10:44 AM
Yeah, I finished that game on the X-Box. I agree that it is the coolest action/MA game on the market. I didn't really notice the moves (not specifically), I saw some that were faintly familiar but I was way too busy doing cartwheels and flips off the walls while shooting (and having fun doing so).

BTW, if you hack into the console and unlock the M-60 machine gun it makes very short work of the helicopter at the airport, and you can force ammo drops. I know it's like cheat codes, but in the ETM game it's more like part of the game (you know, like being the operator and helping your team out).

Kristoffer
06-11-2004, 10:36 AM
you guys don't play very good games if this is the best you've ever played. It has poor controlls, bad graphics, repetetive and stiff movements, boring sound effects and a crappy story.

If you wanna play a game that has TMA as it's focus you should check out Shenmue and Shenmue 2 (www.shenmuedojo.net)
Awsome games

AmanuJRY
06-11-2004, 09:25 PM
"you guys don't play very good games if this is the best you've ever played."

everyone has different opinions on what makes a good game.

"It has poor controlls, bad graphics, repetetive and stiff movements, boring sound effects and a crappy story. "

I wouldn't say the controls are poor, but they did take some getting used to. Once I was used to the whole *focus* thing, I started to think they rocked.
The graphics rated fair in my book, not the best...but, there are much worse out there.
Repetetive and stiff movements???? You lost me on that.
The sound effects were just like the movie, as well as the soundtrack, and I liked the whole matrix story anyway.

"If you wanna play a game that has TMA as it's focus you should check out Shenmue and Shenmue 2"

Those are good games as well....but, talk about weak storylines.

(eh, to each their own)

If you aren't a fan of the Matrix movies, the game is fair. If you are a fan of the movies, it's just about manditory to play it (over a half hour of cinematics that are part of the story, kinda like the Animatrix movies). And if you hate the Matrix movies, you will probably post about how dumb the game is.

SevenStar
06-13-2004, 10:25 PM
shenmue is the shiznit!!!!!!!!!!!

I recommend vurtua fighter too

Vash
06-14-2004, 07:14 AM
For 3-D, you can't go wrong with Tekken.

Virtua Fighter was good. I liked VF4: Evolution

MK: Deadly Alliance roxord (looking forward to MK: Deception)

For 2D:

One does not get better than King of Fighters/Fatal Fury. Garou: Mark of the Wolves p\^/n5 joo!

burnsypoo
06-14-2004, 08:00 AM
as far as video games go, Ninja Gaiden on the XBOX has become a real pleaser for me. Easy to get decently skilled at the movements, but once you really master the controls ,the game is off the hook. Beautiful game, lovely animation, plus all the 3 old NG's from Nintendo are hidden in the game too. Good times. Onimusha 3 looks pretty killer too. If you want to see some truley beautiful animated games (and not just puppets doing motion capture or ghetto motion), check out the "Mark of Kri" for the PS2, or it's sequel, "Rise of the Kasai". These games were sketched out and animated by an old school Disney animator, and their motion is just stellar work, really apealing and devastating. Their sense of weight and timing is sickening. God bless men with talent.

There's some nice "wing chunnish" animation in the second half of Clone Wars animated series (20-3 minute episodes). Watch Mace Windu bong sau, popai and biu sau droids to death.

I've come back to school to take classical animation, my mind keeps running over the possibilities of actually animating some Wing Chun someday. It always amazes me how my training in WC has helped me with the movement and drawing of animation. Hopefully if not hand drawn, then I can bring it into the video game realm as well.

Problem being that good animation tries to use anticipation, whereas good wing chun does not. There's a fine line there that I hope to be able to cross.

Alas, to dream. Someday!

AmanuJRY
06-14-2004, 08:00 AM
Tekken.
Virtua Fighter
MK: Deadly Alliance roxord
shenmue

These are all good 3D fighting games.
Please note that ETM is not just a 3D fighting game. It is a mission based 3D action game that includes SOME hand2hand style fighting. If the developers of the game designed it to be a fighting game it couldn't have had the size of 3D environment it has. It was made as an accessory to the movies, as well as to be an excellent mission based game with some fighting to it.
To compare straight up fighting games with mission games is like comparing apples to oranges.

Vash
06-14-2004, 03:43 PM
You're just mad because the game suxord.

BTW, when's that new matrix pc game comin' out?

AmanuJRY
06-14-2004, 04:11 PM
Opinions, opinions......

MxO (Matrix Online, for those not in the know) is supposed to be out this year sometime, I think they are starting the beta testing real soon. I saw the whole "thing" on it on the DVD for Revolutions, it looks awesome...although I'm not real big on MMORPG's.

AmanuJRY
06-14-2004, 04:23 PM
Sorry, beta testing has already begun (May), anyone can go to the website http://thematrixonline.warnerbros.com/web/index.jsp and sign up to be a beta tester.:D

Ultimatewingchun
06-14-2004, 08:25 PM
"I wasnt aware that there were any 'actual wing chun moves'.
wing chun is a philosophy with concepts, not 'moves' and 'techniques'..."

Oh really!

Did it ever occur to you that those who try to sell the idea that tan, bong, fuk (to use but just three examples)...are just concepts and are not to be viewed as techniques...

just don't want to explain the finer details OF EXACTLY HOW THESE TECHNIQUES WORK....to you?

Either because they don't really know - or they don't want you to know?

(Protecting the rice bowl...the more they keep you guessing/ the more it's a bit of a mystery to you/ the more months/years you'll keep coming - searching for enlightenment).

Hint: They're concepts AND techniques.