PDA

View Full Version : mantis friendly sparring gear

ninjaboy
06-04-2004, 09:43 PM
in light of some recent discussion on contact training, i have found that the sport jujitsu gloves offered by tigerclaw out of california are really good for mantis training. they're padded around the thumb and knuckles and they don't inhibit hooks and grabs like so much other gear available on the market. and they're cheap which is a nice bonus. give 'em a whirl, see what you think. and for school owners there is no minimum order which i like better than the century mentality. i've hit more faces than i can count with them and i am still on my first pair which i got back in 1998. one thing though...whatever size you THINK you are, order one size larger. they tend to be a little snug if u don't.

happy hitting y'all. hit him once for me!

sincerely,
neil

Michael Dasargo
06-05-2004, 05:23 PM
A helmet with clear face sheild (complemented with neck strengthening excercises), groin protector (for females- breast protector), and grappling style gloves are the bare minimum requirements for beginning students at my school.

For students who have not experienced the physical and emotional trauma associated with moderate contact, I also require the lightning rib guard (which offers only a 1/2 inch foam padding), as well as shin and instep protection.

Pictures can be found on my website at www.mantisskills.com under Mantis Boxing, and Practical Applications.

Speed and contact are light; however, I highly emphasize intent. Even at slow speeds, the closing distance between the fist and it's target of oppurtunity provokes the natural defense mechanisms often neglected in passive training.

As the student progresses and toughens both physically and emotionally, the student then begins to shed away the unnecessary PPE's, as skill and toughness replace foam.

In a culture where training means increasing the chance of survival, the difference between injury and discomfort is made clear. Pushing the will to taste bitter (pain/discomfort tolerance) becomes the refusal to roll over and die during violent confrontation.

M

Oso
06-05-2004, 05:51 PM
very nice.

is your headgear the same as this?

http://wholesale.awma.com/index.cfm/action/productdetail/product_id/9598.htm

I've been looking for someone who has used it to give me a review.

TIA

MightyB
06-06-2004, 10:16 AM
I haven't seen anybody with the sports jujitsu gloves, but the TC 2000 Tiger's Claw gloves are pretty good for practicing mantis. I've had a pair for a couple of years now, and I can move my fingers fairly well in them.

Oso
06-06-2004, 10:19 AM
well, look who's been lurking :)

Still doing mantis? Weren't you doing shui jiao or something too?

Good to see you.

I used those a lot for years.

you can sneak a 'leopard' punch out the front w/ no padding.

MightyB
06-11-2004, 11:58 AM
I started a new job and I don't have the free time that I was used to which allowed me to post alot. I lurk a couple of times a month though.

I do a wee little bit of Judo, twice to 3 times a month (sometimes more if I'm in a fight club type of mood), really I'm just rumbling with 'em and trying to get better at throwing.

I still would have to say that Praying Mantis Kung Fu is my favorite. I don't get to practice with the guys too much anymore since I had to move about 3 hours away, but I've gotten back into the habit of practicing everyday for the last two months.

These forums have gotten a bit wierd, so I spend more time lurking than posting.

Talk to you later,

The B

Oso
06-11-2004, 02:07 PM
These forums have gotten a bit wierd, so I spend more time lurking than posting.

lol...yep!

pretty much staying off the main board and reading, and occasionally running off at the mouth, here.

and I hear you on life getting in the way of training.

well, take care and happy training !