PDA

View Full Version : Why do the rolling in chi sau?

cha kuen
05-23-2001, 03:24 AM
Why do the rolling in chi sau? Why not just skip that and have someone give you a punch and go on there with counters?

What significance does the "rolling" have?

Martial Joe
05-23-2001, 04:24 AM
Because you get the feel of it then as you get better the movements can be shorter as you suggested.You shouldnt skip things.You train the foward energy by rolling.Are you forgetting these important things?

Armin
05-23-2001, 09:11 AM
Hi Cha Kuen!

It gets clearer, if you understand this "picture": In the Forms you learn the principles and the single techniques or movements. To be able to train and try them you need a sort of controlled exercise. In this exercise you can "play" with your movements and get a better understanding of the principles. Afterwards you are able to use your principles and movements in "reality" (free-sparring or so).

It's the same in the Pharma-industry: First you plan a medicament (Form), then you test it in the laboratory (Chi Sao) and then you put it on the market (sparring/fight).

BTW: In WT you have these Pak-Sao-punch-drills (Lat Sao). I teach them as a further step between Chi-Sao and application as a sort of "testing under freer conditions" - to say it with the medicament-picture: after testing in the lab, test it with 1000 volunteers under real circumstances.

Armin.

cha kuen
05-23-2001, 11:03 AM
Oh I don't train WC. It's just something that I have been wondering about.