PDA

View Full Version : Combos.

Mr Punch
06-06-2004, 07:29 PM
Nick
you'll very rarely get to unload combos on a worthy opponent
I practice combos, but find I get hit in the middle of them...

Seven
I wish someone woulda told me that before I started sport fighting...we use combos all the time. not all of them land, but it's a numbers game - punches in bunches. Chances are, I'm not gonna knock you out with the first strike, so I have to follow with something...
Do you practice combos?

If you don't believe they are efficient why do you practice them?

Do you practice them for the reason that Seven states above, or do you practice them as a way to set up your opponent's action/reaction? Or another reason?

Personally I do. I take them out of WC forms and drills and air punch them, and work the bag with them or the focus pads when I have the chance. I don't do it a lot, and I don't aim for a set pattern, but the fluidity to change strikes at will to counter strong resistance/flow round the guard.

What about you?

Kristoffer
06-07-2004, 02:52 AM
when I train my punches/elbows/knees it's always in combos. what good would it do to just isolate a straight right and drill that for an hour? No, combos and when u got them down u work them on the bag and in sparring.

combos is needed because you need something to set up a clean shot. Something to open the door.

dwid
06-07-2004, 06:03 AM
My favorite combos are the pretzel ones with cheddar cheese in the middle.

Becca
06-07-2004, 06:08 AM
I practice combos, but find I get hit in the middle of them...
Only if your opponant is alive or is trying to hit you.:rolleyes: Is the point of sparring/fighting, yes?

I practice them partially so I am used to them when I need them and can use it without having to think of how to. I also practice them to teach my body how to move into/out of each position so I can mix and match techniques on the fly when need be.

red5angel
06-07-2004, 06:52 AM
weird. Combos are the way to go in the street or in the ring as far as I am concerned. Like 7* points out it's a numbers game, the more hits you throw the more your likely to land. There are also other factors as well. If your fast enough, combos are great for throwing off someone's rhythm.

I am curious as well why he would train them if he doesn't think they would work against another trained opponent.