PDA

View Full Version : Farenheit 9/11

yutyeesam
06-06-2004, 10:46 PM
Here comes Michael!!

http://www.fahrenheit911.com

T'ai Ji Monkey
06-06-2004, 10:48 PM
Can't wait for it, I love mockumentaries.
:D

Kristoffer
06-07-2004, 02:35 AM
They don't give the palm to mockumentaries, get a grip

Christopher M
06-07-2004, 02:51 AM
Apparently they do though...

But even "mockumentary" is a more flattering label than that explicitly duplicitous propaganda piece / get rich quick scheme deserves.

Nick Forrer
06-07-2004, 06:46 AM
Hi Chris

1) Have you seen it?

2) If so what exactly did you find 'duplicitous' about it?

T'ai Ji Monkey
06-07-2004, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by Kristoffer
They don't give the palm to mockumentaries, get a grip

Yup, like they didn't give an Oscar away for "Bowling for Columbine".

And "This is Spinal Tap" also didn't win any Awards either.

There are plenty mockumentaries that won Awards.

T'ai Ji Monkey
06-07-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Christopher M
But even "mockumentary" is a more flattering label than that explicitly duplicitous propaganda piece / get rich quick scheme deserves.

Let me say that he makes more bucks with that stuff than I reckon most people on here do.
Plus, the more you rant and rave against it they more people will be attracted to pay bucks to watch it.

Capitalism at it's finest. :D

yutyeesam
06-07-2004, 07:19 AM
yeah, extremism in any direction sells. makes sense, b/c having a moderate viewpoint is apparantly too difficult.

but whatever. me and my friends all need jobs. we all have masters degrees. and if getting bush out of office is the way to improve the economy, then so be it! more mockumentaries, rockumentaries, fu(kyoumentaries, whatever else!

ZIM
06-07-2004, 12:42 PM
Ray Bradbury: "Michael Moore is an *******" (http://blogs.salon.com/0001561/2004/06/02.html#a5394) :p :p

CaptinPickAxe
06-07-2004, 02:03 PM
that article was stupid...

And Moore is a Capitalist Pig (who doesn't shower)...I've never seen "Bowling for Columbine" and I'll never see "Farenhiet 9/11" I don't waste money seeing movies in the movie theater. $10 bucks is too **** much...

Kristoffer
06-08-2004, 03:43 AM
You actually compare the oscars with the palm? :D Padre, the oscars is bull shyte.

I've seen Bowling for Columbine. I didn't like it. It was very one sided and the editing was also a bit low standard. He did get the message he was trying to get out though and I guess that was the point with that movie. I think it's wrong to view his movies as real documentaries because such movies should show more than one side to the coin. These should be viewed as political debate fodder, wich is even better in my opinion.

Now as I havn't seen Farenheit yet I can't comment on it. I do expect the same one sidedness and strong political viewpoints. But I also expect it to have an eye opening effect on many people, and I can't see what's wrong with that.

Christopher M
06-08-2004, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Nick Forrer
2) If so what exactly did you find 'duplicitous' about it?

The duplicitousness is well documented (http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html).

Originally posted by T'ai Ji Monkey
Let me say that he makes more bucks with that stuff than I reckon most people on here do.

Funny, that's what he keeps saying (http://www.arcataeye.com/top/020312top02.shtml) too. I didn't realize that "financial wealth makes right" was so widely held a value.

dwid
06-08-2004, 06:56 AM
But I also expect it to have an eye opening effect on many people, and I can't see what's wrong with that.

The "eye opening effect" is always on people who want to believe what he's preaching. His pseudo-journalism is just convincing enough to be believable to people who want very badly to believe it.

Michael Moore is the mirror image of Rush Limbaugh. They have the same approach, just different politics. "Never let the truth get in the way of a good story."

What's wrong with this is that it excuses people from taking responsibility for their prejudices by giving them something that passes as evidence supporting those prejudices.

I'm no fan of the Bush administration, but lies on top of lies just obfuscate the situation more and don't really solve anything.

Moore is an a-hole. Just like the people he transforms into paper tigers in his films.

Christopher M
06-08-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by dwid
Michael Moore is the mirror image of Rush Limbaugh.

I've always used Anne Coulter as the comparison. :p

MasterKiller
06-08-2004, 07:12 AM
Nevertheless, G. W. does have monetary ties to Bin Laden's family, and it will be interesting to see them exposed.

CaptinPickAxe
06-08-2004, 07:25 AM
Vote for Reagan in 2004!

dwid
06-08-2004, 07:53 AM
Vote for Reagan in 2004!

Yeah, gotta love all the revisionist historians that will have him sainted any time now.

California uber alles...

CaptinPickAxe
06-08-2004, 02:22 PM
Hey, I figure we already have a braindead stiff in the office. Why not put in another brainless stiff in? I'm sure he'll be more interesting than Kerry. It'll be like "Weekend at Bernies"! The Puppetmasters won't have to hide, and we'll get to see Reagans loveable face another four years:D

Kristoffer
06-09-2004, 02:58 AM
..only if Arnold is vice pres

Nick Forrer
06-10-2004, 05:13 AM

Even "mockumentary" is a more flattering label than that explicitly duplicitous propaganda piece / get rich quick scheme deserves.

The duplicitousness is well documented (http://www.hardylaw.net/Truth_About_Bowling.html).

Sorry Chris my original question was have you seen farenheit 911 and if so what exactly did you find duplicitous about it. If the answer is no then just say so.

jun_erh
06-10-2004, 06:47 PM
I heard Bush got nomiated for "best comic performance" or something for farenheit :rolleyes: