PDA

View Full Version : Oils ain't oils ...

Toby
06-06-2004, 11:14 PM
That's probably a cultural title that only Aussies will get. Anyway, I'm still researching my ketogenic diet having fallen in love with protein powder. So my next step is oil. My wife bought me some flaxseed oil over the weekend. $17 for 500ml :mad:. I looked a bit over the internet and often found "flaxseed (linseed) oil". Does that mean it's the same as the stuff you put on wood to protect it? Can you buy it that way cheaply? My guess is no :p. Well, obviously I can't afford to be downing 180ml of this stuff a day so I've gotta find other (cheaper) oils to "eat". My ideas?

Canola.
Safflower.
Sunflower.
Olive.

Pretty much in that order, although the 1st 2 can probably swap. I'm after pros and cons, people. Price is important. Whether it'll kill me is important. Low saturated fat content is important. High omega-x fatty acids is important. Ideas?

rubthebuddha
06-06-2004, 11:31 PM
tobers -- check out www.omeganutrition.com for all your flaxseed info needs.

it's nice having the hq of one of the best health oil companies in town, particularly considering i'm friends with one of the founders. :)

Toby
06-06-2004, 11:32 PM
Further to the topic - roughly how much is a tablespoon of generic oil? My small bottle of flaxseed oil weights 500g including the bottle. There's no way I'll ever be able to measure the weight of a small amount. I don't have an accurate enough scale.

Did a bit of research. A nice table is on this page (http://www.vnv.org.au/Nutrition/Omega3.htm). Mmm. Hempseed oil looks good too. Dunno where you'd find much of that around here unless it's from my mates but that'd have unwanted side-effects :p. Anyway, going from that table and my limited knowledge of oil prices in Oz, I might be inclined to go for a mix of 1/2 canola and 1/2 sunflower plus a tablespoon of flaxseed oil. Advice?

Toby
06-06-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
it's nice having the hq of one of the best health oil companies in town, particularly considering i'm friends with one of the founders. :) I'll have 10 litres of flaxseed oil. Mates rates, right? Free shipping and $1/litre ;).

Toby
06-06-2004, 11:37 PM
Mmm, garlic and chili (http://www.omeganutrition.com/products-flaxoil-garlic.php).

Christopher M
06-07-2004, 02:52 AM
Why not just eat the flax seeds themselves?

Toby
06-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Maybe. I haven't gone out and checked out health food shops yet. Maybe flax seeds are cheaper. I like the ease of oil, though.

Anyway, I've sort of decided to go with 2/3 safflower or sunflower, whichever's cheapest (prob. sunflower) and 1/3 canola. This ended up a BL thread - answering my own question :p. Still some questions there folks, so feel free to chime in. ;)

rubthebuddha
06-07-2004, 09:47 PM
chris -- the seeds are mostly blah, and flaxseed oil to most people is not palatable; the taste just turns most people off. the only thing good i can say about its taste is that it gives you funky-tasting burps that i actually like. :o

tobers -- the garlic/chili stuff omega makes is pretty tats, though. i'm pretty sure that page says it goes spiffily on popcorn, and that's the truth.

tobers2 -- flax needs to be shipped cold. heat, uv rays, etc. all break it down and it goes rancid more easily than other oils. keeping that in mind, shipping 10 litres of an already expensive product in cold storage from my hometown oirt to the port nearest to you would cost ... a ****load more money than either of us have. :D

however, if you can find anything by omega already in oz, i would highly suggest it. even if it's not under the omega brand, maybe the back label says something like "processed by omega nutrition, bellingham, washington, usa."

:)

IronFist
06-08-2004, 05:29 PM
I dunno dude but dpsnutrition.com (http://www.dpsnutrition.com) is the cheapest place for supplements I've seen.

Toby
06-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Yeah, but you're forgetting I don't live in Norfair like you. I've gotta find local Oz stuff. I think sunflower and canola are gunna be the cheapest.

IronFist
06-08-2004, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Toby
Yeah, but you're forgetting I don't live in Norfair like you. I've gotta find local Oz stuff. I think sunflower and canola are gunna be the cheapest.

Yes, I did forget that.

Do they ship to Oz? It still might be cheaper to get it there cuz they have awesome prices.

Toby
06-08-2004, 08:42 PM
Maybe. But as Rub says, flaxseed oil's gotta stay cold so I can't get that sent. And sunflower/safflower/canola is relatively cheap anyway so it's not worth the shipping for the weights/volumes I want. I just wanted to know how cheap relatively cheap is. Anyway, my wife should be picking me up some oil this morning.

BTW, love that flaxseed oil. Unusual flavour, but I don't mind it one bit. Lately my breakfasts have been 35g protein powder, 1tbsp flaxseed oil and 1% milk. Mmmm! :p

rubthebuddha
06-08-2004, 08:54 PM
sounds like a recipe for ass. :)

however, flax gives my favorite smoothie (a 40-30-30 zone from emerald city smoothie, if you're curious) a nice kick. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Toby
06-08-2004, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
sounds like a recipe for ass. :)Lol! I wouldn't know ;). Thanks for letting me know that you know, though. If I'm ever unsure about whether something tastes like ass in the future I'll be sure to ask my ghey friend Rub :D.

rubthebuddha
06-08-2004, 10:00 PM
you're one to talk, mr. i-graduated-from-the-university-of-felch. :mad:

:D

Toby
06-08-2004, 10:16 PM
Lol! I'm a postgrad at the moment, too. :eek:

:D