PDA

View Full Version : power in punching

bodhitree
06-07-2004, 06:32 AM
Hellow, I do not practice wing chun, however from what i have seen and read, it fascinates me. my question is, how does a wing chun practitioner develop power in punches? are there any specific ways of delivering the 'power shots'. any imput appreciated, thank you!

yuanfen
06-07-2004, 08:11 AM
To bodhitree.

You are likely to get different answers.
But FWIW-IMO--
No secrets...
good wing chun stancing, interlinking all your joints
and knowing your location and your centering-
presto- you begin to develop power- and you get better with practice as you learn to bypass or quieten unnecessary musculature.
But there are different kinds of wing chun power...
based on intent.

Nick Forrer
06-07-2004, 08:32 AM
1) By being relaxed.

2) By punching through the target, not at it.

3) By always aiming for the cog/central axis of our enemy- thus minimising the chance of the opponent turning/rolling with the blow and lessening its impact.

4) By having the correct stance/structure (rear foot inverted, pelvis pushed up and out, elbow pointed to the floor.)

Remember the fist/arm is just a nail- the hammer (power source) is the lower body i.e. the waist/rear leg- but...... the nail must still be correctly aligned if it is to go into the wall i.e. if the power transference is to be correct.

Shawn LaShay
06-07-2004, 07:01 PM
hi all,
a good teacher is necessary to intsruct proper punch method! from there, it's practise, practise, practise.

OdderMensch
06-07-2004, 11:35 PM
my question is, how does a wing chun practitioner develop power in punches?

We hit stuff.