PDA

View Full Version : newbie wants to know!

johnnyrambo
05-29-2001, 01:50 PM
im new to KungFu so please dont slate me.

Is Wing Chun, Shoalin or not??

I know it sounds like a stupid question but i cant seem to find an answer either way. :rolleyes:

Starbuck
05-29-2001, 04:17 PM
Wing Chun was developed by Ng Mui, a Buddhist nun and one of the 'Five Elders' that escaped the destruction of the Shaolin temple by the Manchu government. So one could say it's 'kind of' Shaolin. Wasn't developed inside the Shaolin temples, but was created by a Shaolin nun...at least according to popular legend.

Another history says that several kung-fu masters (sometimes Shaolin, sometimes not, sometimes both) wanted the common people to be able to resist the Manchu. The trouble was that their classical styles took 10-15 years of practice before one was truly effective in combat. So they got together and took the simplist, most effective techniques from each of their styles and created Wing Chun, a system that a common person could be proficient with in six months to a year.

Nobody really knows for sure what the true history of Wing Chun is, as documented proof gets sketchy before Leung Jan (Yip Man's Sigung). However, it is probably not 'Shaolin' in the strict sense of the word, of having been developed and practiced by the temple monks

<HR>"It takes a big man to admit he's wrong...it takes an even bigger man to laugh at that man."