PDA

View Full Version : best style

X man
06-07-2004, 06:21 PM
is there a style of kung fu that is better suited for a taller student

MasterKiller
06-08-2004, 06:20 AM
A good teacher will make any style work for you. That's why there are so many techniques in a style--the ones that work for your body might not work for someone else.

Shaolinlueb
06-08-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by MasterKiller
A good teacher will make any style work for you. That's why there are so many techniques in a style--the ones that work for your body might not work for someone else.

yep, you just have to find your nitch.

Ravenshaw
06-09-2004, 11:28 AM
Well, I'm a tall guy (6'3"). My main style is Bak Sil Lum (Northern Shaolin). The reason I chose a northern style was because of the emphasis on long-range techniques where long limbs are an advantage.

But then my Sifu is only about five feet tall... so there is no real "rule" per se about what styles a short person ought to take or what styles a tall person can take.

Every style has a lot of techniques. So whatever style you choose, specialize in the techniques that best suit your body. Try them and see what works best for you.

David Jamieson
06-09-2004, 02:15 PM
learn the style of short fat people so you can defeat them! lol

ok, here's what you really gotta do... go to a class where you like to be, learn what it is you like learning and do your best.

that is all!

cheers

norther practitioner
06-09-2004, 02:27 PM
Seriously just find a good teacher, the rest of the details will work themselves out.

freedom76
06-10-2004, 11:43 AM
Find a place where you have fun and feel comfortable. If you're just starting out, it may be hard to "see skill". Flash is nice, but "hidden" technique is better. My point, don't worry so much about that in the beginning. Have fun, be consistent, practice, practice, practice.
Northern Shaolin does have long range techniques (jump kicks, etc.), but it also has plenty of chin na. It's a complete system.
My suggestion is wherever you train, make your legs strong and flexible, also learn to bring your center of gravity down. In my experience, tall people tend to be easier to knock down.
Good luck!

Shaolinlueb
06-11-2004, 07:47 AM
i migh get slammed for saying this, but if you want flexibility and stuff, find a wushu school. some teach traditional forms at first and work on strong foundation. then go onto the forms, which can be advanced. and you can find some application in their moves. it will give you a nice variety. i would find a school that stresses foundation. a lot of schools jsut go for flash and forget about the minor details.

Banjos_dad
06-13-2004, 03:44 AM
I'm kind of tall 6'2", and I love doing Northern Shaolin's long fist forms. But I ahve had a lot of health issues over the winter & now this year (fractures in foot, umbilical hernia [try to avoid that :( ] compressed disk in spine, groin pull etc to name some of the ones that bugged me most.)
So I wanted to say, look for something that includes chin na, because it's very practical & I feel easier to pull off than a lot of really big longfist moves. Could help when your body is not at 100%.

Go sit in on different classes & decide which appeals to you most. If they won't let you observe a class before signing up go somewhere else.

TheBlackDragons
06-17-2004, 05:21 PM
My theory is use your strong points to your advantage

if your tall and have long legs and arms

use your reach to your advantage

Like Northern shaolin,,, Choy la fut, Or Crane if you have access to it

but all and all most kumg fu style will work for you
if you practice dilligently

i would avoid Tai shing pek kwar
as it is geared for shorter people

I my self have long arms and torso and moderate
leg length

I look like a natural spm guy

on the other hand most chinnesse are shorter than the average american so go figure