PDA

View Full Version : When sparring, did you ever...

rogue
06-07-2004, 07:56 PM
go with a strategy or tactic that wasn't working but for some dumb reason you kept with it? I had this happen twice tonight. First time out my sparring partner was using some boxing/kickboxing and I just kept getting in on him for the hits and sweep or throw and laughed that he wasn't catching on. Later with a new partner I went with the same sweep and throw strategy and I was eating side kicks like I was at Shoney's breakfast buffet, but I kept at it. After the first three I should have changed to something else but I just had to make my strategy and tactics work. Just dumb.:D

Mr Punch
06-07-2004, 11:30 PM
Yeah, the other day in my shooto class I kept making the mistake of prostrating myself and trying to physically shove my head up my own ass in an attempt to sucker my opponent into a false sense of security. :rolleyes:

Of course I now realise the tactic I should have employed was to drop a 5kg weight on his foot and run out the door like there was a 6'7" 140kg US army ex-footballer running after me...! :eek:

I'm going back to the Japanese dojo. At least all I get to fight there is midgets.

scotty1
06-08-2004, 01:57 AM
When you're 'losing' and under pressure, the bit of your brain that is creative and spontaneous shuts down, apparently.

Which is why in a boxing match the clear leader is pulling all sorts of beautiful combos out and the loser is just trying the same old rubbish over and over again.

I saw this on tv, so it's true.

cerebus
06-08-2004, 02:09 AM
Years ago I read an interview with Matthew Polly who traveled to Shaolin back in the '80s (I think) and was among the first Americans to train with the monks there.

He mentioned being challenged to a fight by a martial artist from another school. Well, since he was officially the student of this particular monk it was made clear to him that he had to accept and it would also be a good idea not to lose.:D

The fight began and Polly faked a kick and slammed a hook punch into the guys face when he dropped his guard. Anyway, he mentioned the same thing this thread is about. He says throughout the whole fight he couldn't seem to do anything else but fake the kick then punch the guy in the face. This worked well, however, because every time Polly faked the kick, the guy ALWAYS went for it and got punched in the face. :eek: Needless to say, Mr. Polly was able to uphold the honor of Shaolin that day.

Strange phenomenon. ;)

Tak
06-08-2004, 11:24 AM
Sweet, when did they start serving sidekicks at Shoney's? I'll bet they're great with boysenberry syrup... (drools)