PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Footwork Thread reloaded - posture/stride/root etc.

Chang Style Novice
06-08-2004, 08:29 AM
It was pointed out to me recently that I walk with what the observer called a 'rolled in' motion. That is to say, I first make contact with the inner side of my heel and my toes point out at a 45 degree angle from straight forward. It was suggested that I ought to try and walk more on the outside of the foot (where the foot actually makes contact with the ground - I don't have flat feet) and point my toes straight ahead. I've tried this - when I remember to - for a while, and it's becoming a little more natural. However, it's occurred to me that when rooting, we often speak of the 'three nails' - that is, the heel, ball of the big toe, and the big toe itself, and a line connecting these three would run near the inner side of the foot spanning the arch.

So, how do you walk (where do toes point, etc.)?

What relation does it have to your martial footwork/rooting and so on?

Am I messing up my feet with a walking motion like the one I've described above as 'rolled in'?

MasterKiller
06-08-2004, 09:33 AM
Here's my little diddy.

I broke my big toe on my right foot sparring. I didn't break the toe, really, but cracked the socket around the toe. At any rate, I unconsciosly began to walk on the outside of my foot, even after it healed, which eventually lead to knee and hip problems. My chiropractor actually diagnosed the problem when he saw my hips were constantly out of aligment. Once he pointed out the problem, I consciously made an effort to walk on the middle of my foot, and I haven't had the knee or hip problems since.

Of course, I was walking like that on just one foot. Maybe doing so on both would even things out.

Chang Style Novice
06-08-2004, 09:42 AM
Hmmm...I hadn't considered how prior injuries might've affected it. As you may remember, about 18 months ago I busted up my knee in a fall down a staircase and was on crutches for a few weeks. I think I've been walking with my toes way out most of my life though.

MasterKiller
06-15-2004, 11:22 AM
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_088b.html

I just thought it was interesting that Cecil recommends walking on the outside of your feet to improve your posture. Maybe related, maybe not....