PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss - Kettle bells - evaluation - please help

bungle
06-08-2004, 09:05 AM
I left this message on the dragon door forum and wondered if any of you guys might be able to help too

Hi
I've bought the kettle bell challenge book. I decided to get that and use dumbells in order to test out the exercises and see if i like them before investing in a kettle bell.

Firstly. My primary goal is fat loss and my secondary goal is increased muscle mass.

So basically i wll sacrifice muscle for fat loss but i'd prefer to build muscle simultaneously.

I'm 6ft 95kg, male. Basically i'm looking for routine suggestions for me to use in order to for me to evaluate and see if i like kettle bell style training. I currently do two days a week body weight and dumbell exercises and one day a week i practice kicking and stretching. I'm in a kind of maintenance phase while i await a workout. So i normally do little cardio. Hence why i'm interested in kettle bells. Combining cardio and strength training.

I'd like a workout i could do almost every day but minimum 3 days a week and max 6.

I appreciate any help. Whether it's a tailor made plan or just a pointer in the right direction
Thanks
Andy :)

rubthebuddha
06-08-2004, 04:26 PM
i'm in the same spot you are -- kb exercises with dbs.

i suggest you follow most certified kb instructors and keep your first few weeks focused on swings. they're easy to do decently, and will lead to great gains elsewhere if you get them down solidly.

also, for cardio, doing several long sets of swings make lungs happy. for me, i do sets of 30-40 per arm after a shoulder or leg workout. i'm not captain cardio over here, so these sets of swings do nice things for my diminishing lovehandles.

Toby
06-08-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by bungle
Firstly. My primary goal is fat loss and my secondary goal is increased muscle mass.

So basically i wll sacrifice muscle for fat loss but i'd prefer to build muscle simultaneously.
Very difficult to do unless you're untrained. Answer? Diet. It's a huge topic so you'll have to do your own research. Basically you want to burn more than you put in, but what you put in makes a difference too. So you can either burn more or put in less or both. I'm currently right into protein. You might like to check that out too. Premise being that even if you put less overall stuff in, as long as you're still putting in lots of protein your muscles won't atrophy. How much protein? Lots. I want to be taking about 1g/lb bodyweight which is a bit more than recommended (IIRC 0.8g/lb bodyweight). Christian Thibaudeau was taking up to 350g a day on his diet article on the T-mag site :eek:. Also, excess protein won't be stored anywhere like excess carbohydrates will -> more work for your liver (?) and kidneys if you take too much (I'm talking Thibaudeau amounts), but no fat storage. That's my limited understanding of some issues to get you started, anyway.

As to the burn more side of things, that's probably more what you're interested in. If it were me, I'd be doing HIIT 5 times a week. Not going to do anything to help maintain muscle mass, though. At the moment I do HIIT twice a week because I'm more interested in maintaining muscle than fat loss but that'll probably change over the next few months.

bungle
06-09-2004, 04:18 AM
Thanks for the replies guys

I think i'd really like to concentrate on cardio i think.

I'm a lucky in that genetically i'm highly geared towards muscle gain. I find muscle gains effortless. I can do the minimum of exercise and yet still gain muscle. Unfortunately, this anabolic state also seems to mean i have trouble staying lean.

I think i'll give the swings a go. I'm really looking for some sort of KB cardio/ swing routine that has been used and is effective.

I'll take a look at the HIIT but i'd preferably like to give kettle bells a go.

THanks again for the help and advice.