PDA

View Full Version : Gene...about your sig tag...

richard sloan
06-08-2004, 09:33 AM
the divorce thing...I'm just wondering if that is an expression of how you feel about all the monks ditching their old masters to become YXs disciples and hopping around the poem...or does it refer to something else altogether and I'm just reading into it...?

GeneChing
06-08-2004, 04:28 PM
...that's me being quoted in some one else's sig tag. It's always an honor to be quoted in sig tags. The quote is from this thread (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=30119). I wouldn't read to much into it, since it was really an offhand comment like I toss out in so many posts, but it does make a good sig tag, yes?

Shaolinlueb
06-08-2004, 05:53 PM
man i wish i could remember whos is using it. :confused:

;)

richard sloan
06-08-2004, 11:08 PM
capisce.

GeneChing
06-09-2004, 10:17 AM
...I've been meaning to ask you - why are you using that one? What does it mean to you?

Shaolinlueb
06-09-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by GeneChing
...I've been meaning to ask you - why are you using that one? What does it mean to you?

i believe in it gene. if your gonna "divorce" there is never any honor. it moved me too.

freedom76
06-10-2004, 11:57 AM
How far does loyalty go? How far should it go? We can't control other people's action, but we can control ours. We can't control other's minds, but we can control ours. Absolute loyalty (no matter what!) seems an extreme to me. What happens when someone changes, changes in a way that you don't want to be associated with, cannot be associated with for moral reasons? Is there a line?

GeneChing
06-10-2004, 06:19 PM
...but the point it that you should make the choice to be a disciple intelligently. You shouldn't just say "I wanna be a disciple of a monk". You should know the person that you wish to be a disciple under very intimately. This way, you probably won't cross those lines. It's like marraige again, really.

Glad you found that moving, Shaolinlueb. I'm moved that you were moved. ;)

Serpent
06-12-2004, 05:05 AM
Why would anyone quote Gene Ching in their sig?

Banjos_dad
06-13-2004, 03:30 AM
"Associate with the good ones & you will become one of them"

(from 'La Vida De Un Picaro,' Lazarillo de Tormes)

GeneChing
06-15-2004, 09:51 AM
Serpent, I've been wondering that very thing for a long time.

Banjos_dad, you think way too highly of my work. I'm flattered, but to be honest, I got to where I am now by doing that very thing, associating with the 'good ones'. I still don't beleive that I've become one of them. And I've left plenty of notes on who those good ones are. So you can just associate with them and cut out the middle man. ;)

Banjos_dad
06-15-2004, 03:21 PM
Gene, sounds like I caused some discomfort there, didn't mean to.
You receive the knowledge from the 'good ones,' but by sharing it with us you take an active role. We all benefit in turn.
For those of us who can't tap the resource of Chinese language martial arts publications, or go chat with Venrable Abbot Yongxin :cool: and the monks who are the stewards of Shaolin kung fu, gleaning good solid info on Shaolin is more difficult. You're a conduit of knowledge to us whether you like it or not!

Or should I go study the extensive & voluminous works of De Masco & Mattera etc.?

(psssst--everyone: don't praise Gene, he won't accept it!)

About that quote from Lazarillo...self improvement by the association with 'the good ones.' It's like the hands of the clock. You can stare hard or just peek, from close or far & not see the movement, but the hands advance without rest whether or not you perceive it.

GeneChing
06-15-2004, 05:32 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm very flattered by your comment. It's encouraging, especially when I here so many comments like "your mag sux because you didn't cover me". :rolleyes:

Or should I go study the extensive & voluminous works of De Masco & Mattera etc.? :eek: