PDA

View Full Version : What really irks me about martial arts is.....vent here!!

Fu-Pow
06-08-2004, 04:34 PM
Your post must take this format:

What really irks me off about [martial arts/my kwoon/kung fu culture/kung fu movies/anything martial arts related] is....

...blankety blank blank!!!

Ok...I'll start....

What really irks me about beginner asian students....

.... is that they think they know more kung fu than me by virtue of being asian.. :mad:

What really irks me about beginner white students....

...is that they think the beginner asian students know more kung fu than me by virtue of being asian. :mad:

ARRGGHHH!!! GRRRRR!!! :p

rubthebuddha
06-08-2004, 04:48 PM
what really irks me about fu-pow is that he thinks we care. :D

ok ok ok. i'll play nice ...

what really irks me about many martial artists is that they use it as a form of identification. they're similar to a the little boy who, having just recently hit his third birthday, must notify EVERYONE in sight that he's "tree yeas ol."

"it's a pleasure to meet you."
"i'm john and i do kung fu."

"would you like fries with that?"
"yes, large, and i do karate."

"so, handsome, what do you say we go back to my place and get comfortable?"
"i think that's a great idea, because i, as a tae-kwon-do student, find you attractive."*

* note -- this is just hypothetical. i don't know any tkd person who would actually get picked up by a chick. ;)

KC Elbows
06-08-2004, 05:02 PM
When new people won't try a technical improvement to a technique to see how it works, instead just asking for explanations that one try would prove, about kung fu, that irks me.

Ha! Totally snubbed your little format.

Okay, the next group needs to phrase it in some variation of a quote from a Schwartzenegger movie. The others must guess which movie and suggest what training problem the first person has.

"New guy, you gave away your position. You do that again, I'll bleed you. I'll bleed you real good."

The winner owns Fu Pow's little thread.:D

Shaolinlueb
06-08-2004, 05:51 PM
things that irk me about marial arts is people doing all these flips, throwing 2 kicks in their and calling it martial arts or karate or tae kwan do. f that go put on some skibbies and join the gymnastics team. nothing wrong with it.

people that are 5 years experience, dont know how to punch or any of the applications behind their moves and they think they're good and thier school flurishes adn all the students are like that.

Ming Yue
06-08-2004, 08:04 PM
"New guy, you gave away your position. You do that again, I'll bleed you. I'll bleed you real good."

Predator?

Opponent tries first butterfly kick while sparring and you have to wait while he gets back up?

MARTIALLY IRKED: Working a 2-man set with a guy who can't train for 10 seconds in a row without stopping to suggest alternate techniques.

"well, I suppose you could use a spinning backfist there :rolleyes: , but can we work THIS set now?"

a very funny Schwarzenegger quote

"I saw a woman wearing a sweatshirt with Guess on it.
I said, Thyroid problem?"
---A.S.

Akhilleus
06-08-2004, 08:07 PM
.... is that they think they know more kung fu than me by virtue of being asian..

Really? I have never had this happen before...I've had pletny of students of all races think they know more than me but it was never based on their race...

SPJ
06-08-2004, 08:19 PM
What irrated me? too many to mention.

My Chinese was never good enough, try to recite and understand 400 year old or 3000 year old text.

I saw my Tai Ji teacher demonstrating 13 moves the first time. I said how hard that is gonna be. I felt sorry right away. It took me almost a year to do everything right. After 25 years, I am still studying them.

General Chen Wang Ting retired around 1670's and summarized all his military learning and created Tai Ji Quan. That is it took him a lifetime to do it.

What I am trying to say, all Kung fu took several hundreds years and some 1000's years to evolve and develop by many great minds and diligent practitioners.

For some one comes in and learns some moves based on books and video and calls himself Grande Meister. That irks more than anything else.

Do you think you know everything you are doing?

SPJ
06-08-2004, 08:30 PM
I have to stand in posture for 45 min or longer.

I have to do everything over and over.

Once I learned some basic moves. The teacher expects more.

They would show me a sequence once. And expect me to meomorize it right way. Well I started it.

My steps are wrong. My breathing is wrong. The timing is off. I am not in balance.

Too high. Too low. Too fast. Too slow. Not enough force. Too soft. Too hard.

On and on.

My shoulder hurts. My knee hurts. I am too tired. What! one more time.

I do not get it. I gave up. The teacher said, you did, I do not.

Nowadays. I am too old for this. I am too busy for this.

On and on

joedoe
06-08-2004, 08:34 PM
What irks me about MA:

1) The amount of ego involved, when so many TMAs espouse higher virtues such as humility.

2) The number of people who claim expertise when clearly they have no claim on it.

Chang Style Novice
06-08-2004, 08:40 PM
The usual ridiculousness, unscientificness, credulousness, gulliability, and lack of critical thinking tht irks me in all other areas of life.

David Jamieson
06-09-2004, 05:40 AM
hmmm, nothing really irks me about it.

I kind of expect the ludicrous to be on an even plane with the sane.

But... I do have a pet peeve for people who co-opt legitimate arts to sell some levitation tricks or puny magic tricks. It takes away from the value of the underlying practice.

So, charlatans bug me.

Oh yeah, and people who have superiority complexes because they think that their knowledge of martial arts supercedes any other field of knowledge...

hmmm what else is there... lol, there's lot's more, but some of it is likely just a reflection of my negative attitudes towards others...so I'll keep that to myself!

cheers

Nick Forrer
06-09-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by Fu-Pow
Your post must take this format:

What really irks me off about [martial arts/my kwoon/kung fu culture/kung fu movies/anything martial arts related] is....

...blankety blank blank!!!

People who spend more time talking then training

People who dont accept a legitimate hit (in touch sparring) and keep coming as if nothing has happened.

People who think that touching you automatically constitutes a legitimate hit

People who have made such an investment (time/money/effort/emotion) in their current method of training that they cant countenance any other approach for fear that it may render their current approach invalid.

People who cant differentiate between fighting and training (i.e. people who have to turn everything into a fight)

er............. the list goes on

dodger87
06-09-2004, 06:58 AM
what irks me is that ever since we had these MA sessions at our high school people suddenly think they know whats better than what.

One guy said "Tai chi is very dangerous, and it takes 4 to 5 years to master".

Another said "Man guys who learn jiu jitsu are so powerful they can punch through walls".

unkokusai
06-09-2004, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
i don't know any tkd person who would actually get picked up by a chick. ;)

Picked up and thrown across the room maybe.

unkokusai
06-09-2004, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by SPJ
My Chinese was never good enough, try to recite and understand 400 year old or 3000 year old text.

You're not reading any 3000 year old Chinese text, champ.

Akhilleus
06-09-2004, 07:25 AM
Things don't irk me too much in MA, I guess I've gotten use to the things that used to...I still get a little irked at the extent of the sifu jock-riding that I see...when people treat their teacher like more than a human being and would do anything he tells them to...that is sad...

Fu-Pow
06-09-2004, 09:25 AM
Great replies so far!!

You guys brought up a lot of stuff that bugs me that I hadn't even thought of!!

Keep it up!:D

yutyeesam
06-09-2004, 09:37 AM
What irks me most is that even though I started at a young age, I still have to practice! **** it!

Seriously tho, what irks me most is when kwoons/dojos/dojangs turn into makeshift churches on Sundays.

Vash
06-09-2004, 10:14 AM
I hate, abhore, loathe, and generally dislike politics, and those who advocate them.

I also hate governmental politics, but that's neither here nore there.

Far too often, great people abandon the martial arts because of undesireable dealings with those who are "in power," or "have influence" with those who have the "power."

It all flows to that, power. And power is derived from the money a body can make from this great stuff.

Will I practice martial arts forever? Probably. So long as I am able. Will I ever be a member of an organization, or have any avoidable dealings with such? Hell no. Perhaps they started out with a good agenda, but this stuff turns into a money mill and ego stroker.

I just wanna work out. I don't care if stuff is "official," "recognized," "authentic," or "accepted." If it works, if I get from it what I need, then it's fugging good.

I'll post a link to my Politics, Politics thread later. I've got a headache and a chestache, gonna go lay down on the muscle stimulator.

Ray Pina
06-09-2004, 10:32 AM
The vast claiming of "martial artist" by practioners who, if honest with themself, will admit that they have no faith in their technique and thus their fear to test it. AND, knowing this,do nothing about it but keep claiming "martial artist" anyway.

Martial opinions by the people above based on what they have read or heard.

Holding a strike out of kindness only to eat a strike by someone with a bruised ego who knew they would have been struck but still wants to "win."

When the little runt at the TKD school up the block tells me he's a third degree black belt when I told him I was a second degree black belt when I saw him doing something rediculous outside the school and wanted to show him a better way and yet the school has turned down my offer to "friedly spar and compare technique" for two years running. (see complaint No. 1)

norther practitioner
06-09-2004, 11:23 AM
I hate getting bashed because I'm a hobbyist.

SifuAbel
06-09-2004, 12:05 PM
Sappy little mice online asking the lion to prove that he has teeth.

Ray Pina
06-09-2004, 12:05 PM
It depends by what you mean my hobbyist. I would think that 95% of martial artists -- including myself without a doubt -- are hobbyists.

I am also a hobbyist surfer, in that I am not pro and have a real job and can only surf when I can. But with that said I do actually get on a surfboard and get in the ocean and ride waves. From time to time I'll even push my luck and travel somewhere and ride real waves and really reveal my hobbyist status.

This is completely different than the guys that buy Quicksilver T-shirts and pukka shell necklaces and get tribal tattooes and say, "dude" and "tottaly" and have surfing posters on their wall in Nebraska.

On one hand, that's tottaly cool. It's great that someone can apreciate some aspect of life. But they are not surfers.

Someone who loves Shaw Brother films and doing Gunji Fook Foo and wearing iron rings on their forearms and ordering a wushu steal sword from the magazine and swinging it while doing tornado kicks is great!!!!!! But that doesn't make them a martial artist. That's Chinese opera.

The thing I don't understand, is why not just got for the real thing if someone is putting in that much time training? It's a hell of a lot harder to master a jumping, spinning tornado kick with perfect form than it is to understand how to protect your chin and the side of your head with your elbow while throwing a right cross.

But to each their own and none of this is directed towards you anyway because I read your posts .... but you know what I mean. Just trying to improve the standard and return some value to "MARTIAL artis."

Tak
06-09-2004, 01:19 PM
Is there a companion thread to this for listing all the things people love about MA?

Starchaser107
06-09-2004, 01:50 PM
that fighting is illegal in most places. :(
so there are lots of consequenses to consider...

SPJ
06-10-2004, 06:30 AM
Sensei U;

Gomenasai.

I am familar only with the "modern" fonts of Chinese characters (Hanzi). Any texts in older fonts (there are many of them), I have to second guess. Of course, a lot of books were burned by the first Emperor of Qin Si Huan.

Luckily, most old books such as Yi Jing/I Ching (over 3000 years) have been converted to modern font. Sun Tzu, Lao Tzu (2600 years old), Lun Yu (2200 years old) on and on.

Not only I have to recite, I have to understand.

There are a lot of people practice Tai Ji. How many people may recite Tai Ji classics, theory of Tai Ji Quan, Xin Fa of Tai Ji Quan and understand in Chinese or in English.

Tai Ji Zer Yin Yang Tzi Mu---

Domo!

Akhilleus
06-10-2004, 07:21 AM
Oh I hate "continuous sparring" and many of the people that do it...and I hate people that enter "light-contact" competitions and then hurt the other guy...and I hate the refs that reward them, rather than punish them...yeah the state of the non-full contact sparring scene is what I hate the most in martial arts (other than sifu jock riding)...I think light contact could be great but these guys get in there with this killer mentality and the refs accept it and let it slide...

Tak
06-10-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Akhilleus
Oh I hate "continuous sparring" and many of the people that do it...

Please expound. What do you hate about "continuous sparring"? The fact that it's supposed to be light contact but often isn't?

Kristoffer
06-10-2004, 10:11 AM
I'm annoyed at the attitude most TMA has. There's always people with attitude.

That, and people who has to turn every training/sparring into a bloody fight. Just coz you train fullcontact don't mean we have to rip eachoters heads of all the time. You lean less if you just do that.

That TMA/CMA is usually more expensive than modern arts.

PHILBERT
06-10-2004, 10:47 AM
Schools that do nothing but forms, yet think they can dominate in a fight.

TKD people (or anyone for that matter) who do light/no contact sparring, and think they can dominate in a fight.

Schools that refuse to accept new methods of training and are so stuck in tradition, if you so much as show a sign of being from the 21st century, you get kicked out.

unkokusai
06-11-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by SifuAbel
Sappy little mice online asking the lion to prove that he has teeth.

LOL
Which one are you?

SifuAbel
06-11-2004, 01:20 PM
I dunno, mr. mouse, thats up to you.

Jet Johnson
06-11-2004, 01:31 PM
What really irks me:

Lineage freaks.
"My Hung gar style and teacher can be traced all the way back to Wong Fei Hung." How many times have I had to listen to that silliness...

Really? Big effing deal! Guess what? On the mat or on the street, your lineage means squat!

unkokusai
06-11-2004, 02:00 PM
I dunno, mr. mouse, thats up to you.

You hope not! :p

SifuAbel
06-11-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by unkokusai

You hope not! :p

I hope what? I hope you are not a mouse?

What irks me about martial arts are all the ignorant people parroting what someone else says without knowing whether or not its just propaganda.

CaptinPickAxe
06-11-2004, 02:22 PM
-beligerant ****ers who when discussing martial arts want to fight you right then and there.

-Armchair Sifus of Internet Fu who talk mad sht on forums.

-people who jump to conclusions about fighters because of their art without watching them perform.

Gangsterfist
06-11-2004, 02:23 PM
I get some "irkage" out of people telling me to do stuff wrong. When a junior comes up and tries to correct me, and I know they are wrong.

I also don't like lineage arguments, and I don't like people tossing around the term dim mak.

unkokusai
06-11-2004, 03:48 PM

I hope what?

You hope its not up to me.

(calling yourself a 'lion', that's rich!)

SifuAbel
06-11-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by CaptinPickAxe

people who jump to conclusions about fighters because of their art without watching them perform.

Oh! this is so true.

well, mr. mouse, wouldn't you be surprised...............

and how do you know i'm not?

Then again, I could just be a monkey with really big teeth.

Fu-Pow
06-11-2004, 04:00 PM
....lame insults lobbed back and forth on internet discussion forums by people who have never and probably will never ever meet each other in real life... :rolleyes: ;)

SifuAbel
06-11-2004, 04:08 PM
so true.............

CaptinPickAxe
06-11-2004, 06:16 PM
For real though, even mice act like lions when theres thousands of miles inbetween them;)

SifuAbel
06-11-2004, 06:21 PM
Iits funny how its the mice the make most of the noise.

SPJ
06-11-2004, 06:55 PM
Linage is important in the old time.

If you are from a good linage, that does not necessary mean you are good fighter. It just means you have a good teacher. You have to prove yourself if you are a good student or not.

Why it is important in the old time?

Linage means you belong to a bigger group or family. If somebody picks on you, your fellow students, your teacher, your teacher's teacher, your teacher's fellow class mates on and on will avenge for you. Sort of group "security".

Nowadays, student and teacher relationship is fleeting. Honesty and loyalty are rare finds.

That saddens me a lot.

Be a good student. Belonging to a good linage does not garantie you success in your study.

unkokusai
06-11-2004, 09:53 PM
Iits funny how its the mice the make most of the noise.

Keep it down, will ya?

SifuAbel
06-11-2004, 10:44 PM
Whatever dude, its your issue.

I'm sorry if all the mice out there have taken offense to my comments.

bunchastuff style, interesting.

omarthefish
06-11-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Jet Johnson
What really irks me:

Lineage freaks.
"My Hung gar style and teacher can be traced all the way back to Wong Fei Hung." How many times have I had to listen to that silliness...

Really? Big effing deal! Guess what? On the mat or on the street, your lineage means squat!

here it comes again.....

"All the way back....."? You don't have to go that far.

My Hung Gar teacher is only 3 generations down from Huang Fei Hung. :p

SPJ
06-12-2004, 05:57 AM
I have seen thousands of Chinese and Japanese MA (chienbara) movies and novels.

I have seen hundreds of American western and war movies.

Usually they all have good ethical stories to tell.

The French aided US in independece war. The US went to aid British and French in WWI and WWII.

Saving private Ryan. It is practically not possible for 10 infantrymen to hold a bridge against a battalion armed with a tank and 88. Grossly outnumbered and outgunned.

I love the ethics, heroism, and bravery.

On the other hand. Kill B. I vomitted and shocked. Good movie but dun like the ethics.

The husband killed wife. The wife killed husband. Because of misunderstanding of loyalty and wanting to leave. Not telling husband having his baby (honesty).

The teacher gouged the student's eyeball, because she looked straight into teacher's eyes.

The student poisoned the teacher. What a karma.

Master U killed associates. They are following the boss's order. Why family fued involved a third party. When fighting a war, do you seize the generals who gave orders or kill all the soldiers that followed orders. Or they deserved to dye, because they are loyal to her hubby. hum, what a reward.

Several young girls witnessed parent(s) morders. They are future breed of more U's. Kids survived the worst nitemares only to become more nitemares. There is no end down the revenge lane. Is it?

On and on.

No ethic expert. Just seen lots of good ethic MA movies. Some bad ones.

Have peace.

unkokusai
06-12-2004, 06:04 AM
Whatever dude, its your issue.

I'm sorry if all the mice out there have taken offense to my comments.

AAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!! The lion roars!:rolleyes:

unkokusai
06-12-2004, 06:06 AM

Oh! this is so true.

well, mr. mouse, wouldn't you be surprised...............

and how do you know i'm not?

Then again, I could just be a monkey with really big teeth.

Or you could just be the ******* you appear to be.

SPJ
06-12-2004, 06:25 AM
Linage means respect for teacher and teacher's teacher.

Everybody has linage. We are from our parents.

Unless of course, you gave birth to yourself and teach yourself MA. Then you are nonlinaged. Wouldn't you be a total "freek"!

There are many students, schools and fans of Huang Fei Hung. You offended one, you have to endure the fury of many. So linage rules.

:)

SPJ
06-12-2004, 06:28 AM
Sensei U and sifu A.

Have peanut together.

Have a cup of tea.

Have peace.

Liokault
06-12-2004, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by SPJ
Sensei U and sifu A.

Have peanut together.

Have a cup of tea.

Have peace.

This is what I hate about MA the most, people who think that internet grumbling about MA matters or is more than a bit of fun.

unkokusai
06-12-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by SPJ
Sensei U and sifu A.

Have peanut together.

Have a cup of tea.

Have peace.

LOL

Why a peanut?

SPJ
06-12-2004, 07:31 AM
Both monkey and mouse like peanuts.

My point is that we may disagree on a lot of things.

But we must agree on something?

Try to find a common ground that both parties agree on.

It is always easy to beg to differ.

It is usually not as hard to please to concur.

It is a fine art to find peace amid disaccord.

You take both routes (yin-yang). You have a balance view or Tai Ji.

:cool:

unkokusai
06-12-2004, 08:07 AM
Do mice like peanuts? I didn't know that.

Learn something new everyday!

SifuAbel
06-12-2004, 08:33 AM
....there ain't no cure for the summertime noobs......

I wonder if uncokusai is the alter ego of one of my prior victims.

There is too much venom here for someone I've never talked too before now.

ey, mr. mouse, do I know you?

unkokusai
06-12-2004, 11:04 AM
....there ain't no cure for the summertime noobs......

I wonder if uncokusai is the alter ego of one of my prior victims.

Your only victim would be your own dignity, o mighty lion! Rooooaaarrr!

Dance some more, clown!

SifuAbel
06-12-2004, 11:24 AM
Uh, you didn't answer my question, numbnutz.

Why is it ever summer a horde of kids get on here to BS and blah blah blah all over this forum?

Ey , mr. mouse, are you some disgruntled kawrotty man that can't seem to find meaning through a severe inferiority complex or are you some kid full of pizz and vinager that just wants to mouth off in the relative safety of the internet to satisfy a teenage angst and a microscopic member?

Only the mouse would disagree with my comment. The comment was about powderpuff teenage wannbe yet nobody kids that come on to rattle off inane stupidities until school starts again.

If you were the lion you would just understand and move on.

CaptinPickAxe
06-12-2004, 12:15 PM
no he just enjoys finding 'flaws' in others posts without adding any of his on opinions to the thread...

A troll at its finest...Keep it up, Unkokusai, maybe well have a "Unkokusai vs. Blooming Lotus" thread.

SifuAbel
06-12-2004, 12:17 PM
So then uncokineye is ...

"some kid full of pizz and vinager that just wants to mouth off in the relative safety of the internet to satisfy a teenage angst and a microscopic member?"

CaptinPickAxe
06-12-2004, 12:20 PM
I guess so or...

"an oldman who has too much free time on his hands and a head full of PCP":D

unkokusai
06-12-2004, 04:00 PM

If you were the lion you would just understand and move on.

And if you were not so monumentally impressed with yourself, you would be appropriately embarrassed by your ****-ass stupid remarks. Talk about over the top...

btw, I don't recall having occasion to point out your stupidity prior to this, but I wouldn't be surprised.

unkokusai
06-12-2004, 04:01 PM
mouth off in the relative safety of the internet

Hmmmmmmmmmm

SifuAbel
06-12-2004, 05:10 PM
I guess we can conclude that unkokulo is
JAFO.

SifuAbel
06-12-2004, 05:15 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmm

hey, lets compare.
I post my name, location, style, sample clips. I even posted a location where I can be located several times a week. People know what I'm about. I have nothing to hide.

There are several lions on this board that even If I don't agree with them they are still lions.

And you, mr. mouse, post nothing............ except garbage.

So lets see something, put up or shut up.

unkokusai
06-12-2004, 07:59 PM

So lets see something, put up or shut up.

Oh, is this where you start a 6 page thread on where we can get together to fight? :rolleyes: That's great. Let's do some empty posturing for entertainment. That'll be fun.

I must say, your farcically inflated sense of self-importance is following the standard model. What a joke.

If you are looking for home address, phone, ssn, and blood type, you are going to be disappointed lion-boy.

SifuAbel
06-12-2004, 08:13 PM
a video clip or web page would do, azzwipe.

unkokusai
06-12-2004, 09:05 PM
a video clip or web page would do, azzwipe.

I don't know about you, but I don't video tape myself wiping my ass.

I'm sure the results look a lot like you, though.

CaptinPickAxe
06-12-2004, 09:15 PM
what do you study, unkokusai?

unkokusai
06-12-2004, 09:26 PM
what do you study, unkokusai?

For the most part, I'm a semi-retired wrestler.

CaptinPickAxe
06-12-2004, 09:29 PM
high school or WWF?

unkokusai
06-12-2004, 09:34 PM
high school or WWF?

LOL

High School was a looooooooooooong time ago.

And I've never worked for the World Wildlife Foundation

CaptinPickAxe
06-12-2004, 09:39 PM
good, good. I thought you were goin' to miss the sarcasm. So Greco-Roman?

unkokusai
06-12-2004, 10:55 PM
good, good. I thought you were goin' to miss the sarcasm. So Greco-Roman?

Folkstyle

neit
06-12-2004, 11:06 PM
what irks me? hmmmm, my own wanderlust?

SifuAbel
06-13-2004, 12:12 AM

I don't know about you, but I don't video tape myself wiping my ass.
I'm sure the results look a lot like you, though.

Figures, anonymous to the end.

He must be pee wee herman with all this "I know you are but what am I.." banter.

I guess the world will never know...........

GOD! What a la-who/za-her. The big L baby!!

Wow, so how's the weather in blah blah land?

Wait, don't tell me, its just blah.

Yawn-----------
Next, he'll tell us that he was on T.V.

Wait, don't tell me, you're stone cold steve austin, or the ultimate warrior. Superfly Jimmy Snuka? Oh wait he's my age(what a sad fact for him). He's Chavo Guerrero Jr. !!!! Or maybe spike dudley. Oh well, he's too much of a chicken**** to actually give us any clues.

Kristoffer
06-13-2004, 04:51 AM
Don't mind him. He's a troll. He used to post under a different name on ORA.

Banjos_dad
06-13-2004, 04:52 AM
What Irks Me About Martial Arts Is...
1.. Some corn fed heifer putting on a fierce face. doing a chudan uke (mid level karate block) & 2 straight punches, then spraying the front row w/a gallon of spit during her [one-one-thousand, two-one-thousand, three-one-thousand, four-one-thousand] five second "kiai," doing another little move, more of the same. The only thing worse than witnessing such a spectacle would be having to judge at the tournament.

2.. My friends & people whose opinion I care about taking all this in via ESPN's "karate finals" coverage thinking that this is what martial arts is all about, and that they are witnessing the very pinnacle of martial skill.

3.. A Chinese guy in bright red silk pajamas winning the "karate finals" with a kung fu form :cool: Kung fu is cool but wtf, it's a KARATE tournament. Now the whole thing is completely dyslexic. I mean, I love it that the kung fu guy wins (ahem//fish in a barrel//) but what's the point.

The whole sporting martial arts thing for the most part. How the f*ck is the world in general supposed to have a clue about what is what within MA when you have competitors on major sports networks, competing with "forms" they made up themselves, never mind authentic karate forms even, and then the last guy whips them all: with a freaking kung fu form, how did the guy even get past the sign-up table :rolleyes:
The lights are one but the house is empty...

They should have forced them ["high level martial arts experts"]to spar. The screamin' heifer's about 1/24th of the way through her initial kiai when she goes down from a front kick to the guts...
I guess screaming is good self defense, when my ex wife used to start in, I'd open up the gap about as far as my Fairmont would take me.

I'm about sick of it yeah.

unkokusai
06-13-2004, 08:35 AM

Figures, anonymous to the end.

Oh no! The lion is displeased! Help!

Sorry if my own narcissism isn't up to your standards, but I don't have the monuments to my own glory that you seem to consider standard.

How can that be? Isn't everyone as self-obsessed as the mighty lion?

SPJ
06-13-2004, 10:15 AM
High School was a looooooooooooong time ago.

Mine was in the 70's.

I remember watching President Nixon waved goodbye on Whitehouse lawn after Watergate on my family first color TV.

Watching a US helicopter buzzing atop the American Embassy in Saigon, Fall of Saigon.

I cried for weeks that NASA cancelled Apollo man on moon project.

My sweet heart "Lotus Blossom" since childhood left me. Because I spent more time on MA training than with her.

I was studying Mantis, Tai Tzu Chang Quan, Tong Bei Quan and Shaolin Quan. I practiced for hours everyday.

So either her or MA.

Does this count as irking or just regrets?

I am in my mid-40. I still keep a training schedule. Most of my teachers passed away in the 90's.

High school is indeed a looooong time ago.

Mouse may not like peanuts. But it likes a lot of things including nuts and all.

Lion is the king of the jungle. But it sleeps all the time. It hunts when hungry. sort of LAZY.

Mouse is the king of ---. It works diligently and saves food for rainy days.

Lion roaring or yawning in MGM movies.

Mickey Mouse is everykid's favorite.

I remember watching the flying mighty mouse and popeye in black and white TV in the 60's.

Have peace.

Liokault
06-13-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by SPJ

Mickey Mouse is everykid's favorite.

Mickey Mouse sucks, Bugs Bunny rules.

BM2
06-13-2004, 11:07 AM
Mickey Mouse sucks, Bugs Bunny rules. [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, but he is a drag queen/cross-dresser.

SifuAbel
06-13-2004, 11:43 AM

..... I don't have the monuments to my own glory that you seem to consider standard.

You don't have to have a monument made of gold, dippy. You do have to have at least ONE thing that sets you apart from all the other trolls. ONE thing that makes you something other that a snotty geek at the far end of a terminal.

Why are you here? Why do you even care about me? And what do you pretend you are going to do about it?

Is your name neal?

CaptinPickAxe
06-13-2004, 11:56 AM
Its Chingei!!!!

SifuAbel
06-13-2004, 12:06 PM
Its Chingei!!!!

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! No wonder!!!

Kristoffer
06-13-2004, 12:35 PM
I've pointed this out before :)

SifuAbel
06-13-2004, 12:41 PM
Not by name.

I don't got to the ORA forum much, so I wouldn't know which trolls are current.

Its sad to be banned from KFM. Few get that "honor".

CaptinPickAxe
06-13-2004, 12:56 PM
Its bad enough getting banned when you only post in the ORA...its like the land of the lawless...and you get BANNED? from the ORA? That deserves some sort of gum wrapper pendant.

"Congrats! Your a F#@$in' Moron!"

Kristoffer
06-13-2004, 01:17 PM
I didn't know he was banned, just that he started this alter ego. His writing style is easy to recognise.

unkokusai
06-13-2004, 01:28 PM

You don't have to have a monument made of gold, dippy. You do have to have at least ONE thing that sets you apart from all the other trolls. ONE thing that makes you something other that a snotty geek at the far end of a terminal.

Why are you here? Why do you even care about me? And what do you pretend you are going to do about it?

Is your name neal?

Is the lion seeking justification for the presence of 'lesser beings'? Who could live up to the lion's standard?

I can only hope you are kidding. No one could be such an *******.

unkokusai
06-13-2004, 01:30 PM

"Congrats! Your a F#@$in' Moron!"

"You're"

Now, that's embarrassing.:rolleyes:

CaptinPickAxe
06-13-2004, 03:25 PM
whats embarrasing is that's the only comeback you could come up with, chingei.;)

SifuAbel
06-13-2004, 03:27 PM

Is the lion seeking justification for the presence of 'lesser beings'? Who could live up to the lion's standard?

I can only hope you are kidding. No one could be such an *******.

Spoken like a true loser.

So instead of showing us something of merit that would at least demonstrate where you are coming from, you instead hide behind the veil of uncertainty. Even the most basic level practitioner would say what influences they had. Or, at least add something of value other than verbal diareah.

Which means only one thing, you have nothing to show. That your opinions come strickly out of your main expulsory orifice.

unkokusai
06-13-2004, 03:30 PM

Spoken like a true loser.

So instead of showing us something of merit that would at least demonstrate where you are coming from, you instead hide behind the veil of uncertainty. Even the most basic level practitioner would say what influences they had. Or, at least add something of value other than verbal diareah.

Which means only one thing, you have nothing to show. That your opinions come strickly out of your main expulsory orifice.

O great lion! What doth thou require? O mighty lion!

CaptinPickAxe
06-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Or, at least add something of value other than verbal diareah.

LOL! thats the phrase I've been looking for! Thanks SifuAbel, you've supplied me with another zinger.

David Jamieson
06-13-2004, 04:03 PM
the four demons that enslave men are:

fear

doubt

corruption

deceit

unkokusai
06-13-2004, 04:29 PM

LOL! thats the phrase I've been looking for! Thanks SifuAbel, you've supplied me with another zinger.

It might be a better 'zinger' if spelled correctly!

SifuAbel
06-13-2004, 04:39 PM
Oh whatever, you've been exposed as yet another known boring troll.
And a whiny lame one at that.

I see you as a poor unfortunate gasfaced dweeb. Snot running down his nose, pee spots and skid marks line the underwear you haven't changed in weeks. Its just so sad. Wondering if girls will ever get over their disgust of your presence. If your mommy will ever stop telling you what to do.

so so sad. I feel sorry for you. I really do.

My comment has struck a nerve in you simply because your inferiority complex won't allow for any one else to make a statement that reminds you of your status as a mouse.

You need not reply..............

unkokusai
06-13-2004, 04:59 PM

I see you as a poor unfortunate gasfaced dweeb. Snot running down his nose, pee spots and skid marks line the underwear you haven't changed in weeks. Its just so sad. Wondering if girls will ever get over their disgust of your presence. If your mommy will ever stop telling you what to do.

so so sad. I feel sorry for you. I really do.

Oh my goodness, that sounds pretty bad. I'll bet you had to go all the way to your local grade school to put together that list of stinging barbs.

I appreciate your feeling bad for me, though. such care from the great lion!:rolleyes:

CaptinPickAxe
06-13-2004, 06:27 PM
oh sh!t, I had no idea you were a human Spell-Checker. How exactly do you spell 'zinger' ol' smart one?

I noticed you've been following SifuAbel around the forum spewing your bullsh!t...how mature and insightful of you. Here's an idea! Get a girlfriend, a life, and start practicing something besides your crappy brand of Internet-Fu.

Royal Dragon
06-13-2004, 07:02 PM
This guy reminds me of when David Kash's goons were stalking me around all the forums a few years ago. VERY Similar MO.

unkokusai
06-13-2004, 07:28 PM

I noticed you've been following SifuAbel around the forum .

Really? Following around where?

CaptinPickAxe
06-13-2004, 07:46 PM
:rolleyes:
also, you still haven't provide correct spelling for 'zinger'

unkokusai
06-13-2004, 08:06 PM
:rolleyes:
also, you still haven't provide correct spelling for 'zinger'

LOL

The target word was "diarrhea".

Although I admit that is a tough word to spell.

David Jamieson
06-13-2004, 08:07 PM
please don't feed the trolls. :D

CaptinPickAxe
06-13-2004, 08:09 PM
oops! Here I'll stick my hand down his throat and get the food back...I just hope I don't lose my watch:D

Ming Yue
06-13-2004, 08:11 PM
it is cute how they'll eat right out of your hand...

;)

CaptinPickAxe
06-13-2004, 08:14 PM
it is cute how they'll eat right out of your hand...

Yeah, it is kinda cute...untill they start vomiting all over the place:D

SifuAbel
06-13-2004, 11:09 PM

LOL

The target word was "diarrhea".

Although I admit that is a tough word to spell.

you forgot to add the "snort, chortle chortle, weaze" that makes you're laugh so distinctive.

Need a tissue?

Everybody knows, when the grammar posts start coming, thats a sure sign that our fine feathered friend is grasping in desperation.

unkokusai
06-14-2004, 04:33 AM

Everybody knows, when the grammar posts start coming, thats a sure sign that our fine feathered friend is grasping in desperation.

Everybody? Or just the 'Lions'?

Kristoffer
06-14-2004, 05:58 AM

I appreciate your feeling bad for me, though. such care from the great lion!

Such...

Ray Pina
06-14-2004, 06:54 AM
The last 4 or 5 pages of posts!

Pointless drivel that adds nothing. Who's tough? Who's tougher? Let's spend 5 pages and write about it.

There was one post though that I thought was interesting. Someone didn't like it when martial artist got together and wanted to fight to prove their point, but at the same time dislikes armchair, internet mouth boxers. In today's world you can't really have it both ways.

Look at the last 4 pages. I have a feeling some of these mouths would be a lot quieter, certainly more polite, if we were all in a padded room with boxing gloves hanging on the wall. Some would be very interested in proving their point. Some would keep excusing themselves to go pee, or check their e-mail or share with us how they only use their art to defend the honor of virgins, ect.

Goldenmane
06-14-2004, 07:11 AM
Everybody knows, when the grammar posts start coming,

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded
Everybody rolls with their fingers crossed...

No point to this at all except that the first two words in the quote reminded me of a Leonard Cohen song.

Sorry about that... but it's almost got more point to it than half of the silly excrement in this thread. So, like, I had to do it.

Ten beers will have that kind of effect.

Akhilleus
06-14-2004, 07:21 AM
Quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh I hate "continuous sparring" and many of the people that do it...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please expound. What do you hate about "continuous sparring"? The fact that it's supposed to be light contact but often isn't?

Well at the tournaments I have been lately too it seems like it is pretty much accepted by all that the continuous sparring will be full contact, albeit with very short rounds...so that's one thing, and I have a few problems with that...but my real problem is, yes, when they say in the rules that it is suppose to be light contact and then the guys try to kill eachother and the refs, rather than penalizing them, reward this cowardly behavior (if you want to do full contact, do it, don't enter light contact and try to knock guys out)...to get disqualified in the continuous tourneys that I have seen, you have to pretty much pull out a baseball bat and start beating the guy, twice (first you'll just get a warning).

As far as the rules and the format, I'm not complaining about those, I don't like them (I don't think it makes the fight very interesting or realistic) but if that's the way they want to do things, fine....what I am complaining about is how after they have set everything up they do not enforce those rules...

The example I always use is some poor unsuspecting father of three who has trained for a couple years and wants to test his skills in a safe but competitive atmosphere...across the ring you have some 21 year old punk who wants to show how tough he is, opting to do so in continuous sparring b/c he's scared of full contact...father of three comes in, excited about this fun experience, tries to do a move from his form, punk throws high roundhouse kick, now you have three orphans and who is going to raise them, the tournament promoter? HA! OK so I don't think anyone has or will die due to continuous sparring but it still sux...

EDIT:

Re-reading my post, I see I made some insinuations like: "you SHOULDN'T do this" I would like to change this to: "Such behavior violates my own personal code of ethics". Didn't want to come off as a self righteous schmuck.

unkokusai
06-14-2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Kristoffer

Such...

Thank you.

unkokusai
06-14-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by EvolutionFist
or share with us how they only use their art to defend the honor of virgins, ect.

To defend SifuAbel?

bodhitree
06-14-2004, 08:27 AM
Sweaty smelly old men!

sticky fingers
06-14-2004, 08:54 AM
I thought I'd seen Kung Lek somewhere before...

Tak
06-14-2004, 09:21 AM
but my real problem is, yes, when they say in the rules that it is suppose to be light contact and then the guys try to kill eachother and the refs, rather than penalizing them, reward this cowardly behavior

Fair enough, thanks.

Tak
06-14-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
the four demons that enslave men are:

fear

doubt

corruption

deceit

What about:

woman

Akhilleus
06-14-2004, 11:00 AM
No prob...but having said all of that, I must confess that I am a bit of a hypocrit here...I myself have done continuous sparring many times (though it was 2 years ago since I last did it) and I let my students do it for one reason:
I think it can help them make the transition from light to full contact

Heck, I might even do it again one day, but I would have to be really hard up for a match and be unable to find any full contact...

I also understand that due to insurance and other factors it is very hard to get full-contact at a tournament, so by calling it continuous the promoter can still offer some fighting...but then again they don't explain to all competitors that the rules will not really be enforced and full contact on a gym floor is crazy, even w/o throws (which are often used anyway)...but like I said I don't want to sit here and say "That's wrong" or "They SHOULDN'T do this" what I mean is "I don't like it" and I probably wouldn't do it again...

Tak
06-14-2004, 11:49 AM
I agree about it being a potential bridge to full contact.

I agree too that rules should be enforced as stated. IMO teachers also have a responsibility to their students to explain to them that it can sometimes be otherwise, so they're not caught completely off guard.