PDA

View Full Version : Any exercises specific for BJJ?

sticky fingers
06-11-2004, 09:19 AM
I've only just started, and after my first BJJ lesson I had a sore neck for the next few days. So now I include bridges in my workouts.
Any other exercises good for BJJ?

Ford Prefect
06-11-2004, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't bridge unless you are looking to compete a lot. It isn't worth the risk otherwise. Just tap quicker when you're in a neck crank. That and do more BJJ. BJJ is the only specific exercise that will directly help with BJJ attributes.

SevenStar
06-13-2004, 10:55 PM
yeah, I agree with ford. you can do some exercises for your neck, but bjj itself is your best bet.

lay on your back. nod your head up and down for 50 reps, then look left to right, as if saying 'no' for 50, then move your head to your shoulder, then to the opposite (like when you're cracking your neck) we do these for warmup in bjj.

however, neck wrestling in muay thai still made my neck sore until I got used to it...

just keep training, and you'll be fine.

Toby
06-14-2004, 02:08 AM
Headstrap fit for Hercules (http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1232&variation=&aitem=7&mitem=15) maybe?

sticky fingers
06-14-2004, 06:08 AM
Unfortunately I can only train BJJ once a week , so I was looking for some exercises I could do at home. Our warmup in class are just pushups and situps. I'll start doing 7star's warmup.

Toby, is your brother in Canada by any chance?

Mr Punch
06-14-2004, 07:04 AM
oral

:D

Mr Punch
06-14-2004, 07:06 AM
BTW, why are bridges bad?

sticky fingers
06-14-2004, 08:11 AM
yeah, why are bridges bad?

Ford Prefect
06-14-2004, 10:56 AM
Stress on the neck vertebrae. It's not the most resilient part of your body and injuries don't heal well. It's not worth the risk unless you plan on making good $$, IMHO. There have been plenty of instances of both seasoned and rookie wrestlers breaking their neck while bridging. The Mayo clinic has put out warnings about this exercise from research they performed as have a group of people with pHd's in biomechenics of the spine.

Are you likely to break your neck while bridging? No.

Is it a distinct possibility? Yes.

Is escaping from the bottom that important that you want to risk paralysis on a regular basis? Guess only you can answer that question.

Toby
06-14-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by sticky fingers
Toby, is your brother in Canada by any chance? Yup. Lucky bugger.

IronFist
06-14-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Ford Prefect
There have been plenty of instances of both seasoned and rookie wrestlers breaking their neck while bridging. The Mayo clinic has put out warnings about this exercise from research they performed as have a group of people with pHd's in biomechenics of the spine.

Holy crap. Actually, tho, I see how that could happen. I'd draw one of my famous pictures in MS Paint to illustrate what I think could happen but I'm too lazy. Anyway, when I bridge, there's a certain angle that if someone were to apply force my head would roll back and my neck would snap. That's why I'm afraid to bridge too high when I grapple.

sticky fingers
06-14-2004, 10:43 PM
then what are some good , safe neck strengthening exercises?
Isn't it safer to have a strong neck while grappling than to be neck cranked while having a weak neck?

Toby- you're Andrew's bro! Now you know where I train WC:)

Toby
06-14-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by sticky fingers
Toby- you're Andrew's bro! Now you know where I train WC:) ;)

MasterKiller
06-16-2004, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by IronFist
Holy crap. Actually, tho, I see how that could happen. I'd draw one of my famous pictures in MS Paint to illustrate what I think could happen but I'm too lazy. Anyway, when I bridge, there's a certain angle that if someone were to apply force my head would roll back and my neck would snap. That's why I'm afraid to bridge too high when I grapple. It's the same reason NFL players that hit a lot wear neck braces on their shoulder pads. You can't break your neck by pushing it forwards (down), but you can break it pushing it backwards. We learned that in jr. high.

sticky fingers
06-16-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Toby
;)

Done

Meat Shake
06-17-2004, 10:46 AM
A good BJJ specific excersize is to lay a heavy bag on the ground, and put your hands behind your back. Lay on top of the heavy bag(stomach down) and work your positions around it.

sticky fingers
06-18-2004, 07:24 AM
Thanks Meat shake that's the kind of solo training that I need to do.

Now I just have to make sure nobody's watching me while I sodomize a punch bag.