PDA

View Full Version : Tibetan White Crane

cerebus
06-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Hello. I remember having read (many years ago) that there was a push to condense the traditional forms in TWC to make the system quicker and easier to learn. Of course, the more traditional-minded Sifu were against this, but many others saw it as necessary to avoid the extinction of the system.

Does anyone know what the outcome of this was (I know that this "condensation" took place, but was it accepted throughout the system)? I thought it sounded like a good idea myself, basically making the system a bit "leaner & meaner" so to speak.

TWC is one of the arts I've always been interested in and wanted to learn (maybe after I've gained a decent amount of skill in the Hsing-I and Bagua I'm currently learning).

Also, does anyone know the names of some of the sifu teaching the "condensed" form of TWC both in the U.S. and abroad?

Thanks! T.

cerebus
06-15-2004, 11:56 PM
No TWC practitioners here? :confused:

TheBlackDragons
06-16-2004, 01:18 PM
Kung fu is hard work

forget about short cuts

The great master of Whie crane knew the whole system

if you want just focus on empty hand sets
though there are many

WanderingMonk
06-16-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by cerebus
No TWC practitioners here? :confused:
TWC guys probably all taking a break for the summer. look up lkfmdc in the main forum. I am sure he would know the answer for this questiion. he is part of lama pai after all.

Just a Guy
06-17-2004, 09:46 AM
Cerebus,

Which condensation of TWC are you talking about? The one in the early 1800s, where the Tibetan material was streamlined into a more characteristic Chinese style? Or the further distillation of Fukien White Crane in the mid-1800s, which dispensed with much of the long range material and incorporated lots of southern short hand work? Or something much later?

Chinese typically refined Tibetan arts to increase combat efficacy, since the Chinese were actually using the material for combat on a more frequent basis.

David Jamieson
06-18-2004, 12:13 PM
ask David Ross the san shou promoter on the main board.

apparently he has trained Tibetan white crane a.k.a Lama Pai a.k.a Lions Roar Kungfu for years.

Don't say anything about tinfoil hats, black helicopters, jews vs nazis' or anything else like that though. He'll take offense and go off in a huffy rage! LOL

ding ding

cerebus
06-18-2004, 05:18 PM
Hello. Thanks for the replies. The reformation I'm referring to was being discussed in the 1970s. I'm not sure when it was actually implemented. Yeah, I'll check with Mr. Ross and see if he knows anything about it. Take care. T.

TenTigers
06-18-2004, 06:17 PM
cerebus,
when you find out, would you please post your findings here? Sounds interesting

cerebus
06-19-2004, 12:01 PM
I'll do that. I just posted the question on the main forum, so it may take awhile to receive a response.

jo
06-22-2004, 10:23 PM
http://p067.ezboard.com/bsouthernprayingmantiskungfu

Tell Steven T. Richards that the Chinese refined the Tibetan Arts.

See what he says...or does NOT say.

cerebus
06-23-2004, 01:29 AM
Well I asked David Ross about this and he said the shortening of the forms to make them more "economical" and easier to learn was spearheaded by Ngai Yoh Tong and the Hong Kong White Crane Athletic Association.

Apparently each TWC group has various differences whether in their forms or footwork.

Mr. Ross was kind of non-commital about his thoughts on the pros and cons of this. He's also been away from the traditional scene for quite awhile so he wasn't sure about who might be teaching this material.

Oh well, maybe some day I'll get to Hong Kong! :D

HopGar
06-26-2004, 07:39 PM
I dunno if this fit's your bill, in Atlanta there is a Hop Gar School (I'm a student there, well, was until I ran out of cash.)

www.hopgar.com is the site with information. Not sure what you're talking about though.

Peace

cerebus
06-26-2004, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the link. Yeah, I've checked this site out before. It looks pretty good, but they seem to charge separately for everything (separate course for iron palm, separate course for sword form, etc.). Strikes me as odd. Thanks anyway though!

HopGar
06-27-2004, 08:50 AM
Actually they don't, but whatever floats your boat.

peace

cerebus
06-27-2004, 03:40 PM
Oh. Sorry. I just saw several things being offered as separate courses so that's what I thought. That's much cooler if it's all-inclusive. Later. T.