Check this out... Master Chris Chan

WWWW.http://USwingchun.com

old jong
05-31-2001, 04:11 AM
Not "the" secret techniques!!!!!Somebody have to stop him! :D

C'est la vie!

Wei Sui
05-31-2001, 07:25 AM
Ummmm, no disrespect, but can someone enlighten me on this?

I hate these types of claims...anything with "secret" in it is just marketing, IMHO.

:)

Dai yut tow dai :)

S.Teebas
05-31-2001, 02:12 PM
lol... go old jong!

JasBourne
05-31-2001, 04:21 PM
what is this fool babbling about. There are no 'secret internal techniques', the whole freaking system is internal. It's only external if your are doing it incorrectly. Like any clean, simple idea, it takes hard work to master because our minds are so cluttered. That's what the forms are for, to train you so that all your power, speed and accuracy comes from the inside. Forms and sparring are not fighting techniques, they are training aids. "No mind", that's the goal.

This pretty much sums up this guy's approach to Wing Chun :"Sifu Chris Chan heads all classes and teaches the true definition of the Wing Chun art form....At our academy we teach anybody who is interesting in becoming the most powerful person in the world". Oh, cool. :rolleyes:

Pardon me. I just have a bug up my caboose around people who claim 'secret techniques' and 'true ways'. That's the surest indicator that they really don't get Wing Chun. It's a conceptual system with personal expression, not a choreographed style.

peace,
Jas

Big Vern
05-31-2001, 04:46 PM
chris chan, the man behind the myth rears his formidable presence once more. promoted once again by his sycophant "handsome". chris must know the secrets to the great goblet because he says so, and that is enough for me. i heard that he destroyed a whole town with the aftershock of just one of his punches. he the man!!!

wujidude
05-31-2001, 05:43 PM
. . . or at least your expressions. "Bug up my caboose" . . . is that copyrighted?

Very nicely put, about the reason for practicing forms and sparring, and how the art is "external" only if it's not being practiced correctly. The more I practice, the more I think you're right about that (internal v. external).

Highlander
05-31-2001, 05:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>There are no 'secret internal techniques'[/quote]

Sure....and next you'll be saying 'there is no secret hand shake'.

Watchman
05-31-2001, 05:56 PM
"For the first time in history, Sifu Chris Chan and his senior students will publicly demonstrate the ENTIRE Wing Chun kung fu system."

I wonder how long that's going to take. Secret techniques revealed in 12 to 15 minutes? :confused: :D

Watchman &reg;

remo
05-31-2001, 06:12 PM
Laugh if you want, I'm booking a flight.

Reservation for two please, at the Far East Cafe.

I'll take the private mahagany paneled room, and start with an appetizer. Duck or beef? I can't make up my mind...

origenx
05-31-2001, 07:08 PM
handsome - that website didnt work - can u check & repost it please?

Chum Kil
05-31-2001, 07:17 PM
C'mon people are you telling me that you could not learn something new from his demo or from him personally? Not any secret technique, but something. All WC/VT/WT have something to offer. Sometimes I read some of the stupides posts. No other WC/VT/WT is better than another. It's what suits you and what you do with it.

John

Have little and gain;
Have much and be confused.

Watchman
05-31-2001, 07:49 PM
>>>C'mon people are you telling me that you could not learn something new from his demo or from him personally?<<<

I'm sure you can. The part we're findinig questionable/funny is the hype over "secret techniques". It's the marketing package we're discussing, not what Sifu Chan may actually be teaching.

>>>Sometimes I read some of the stupides posts.<<<

It's nice to know I've got fans. :D

Watchman &reg;

JasBourne
05-31-2001, 07:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> are you telling me that you could not learn something new from his demo or from him personally? [/quote]

Yip Man taught many students. Some students were skilled. Some of them opened their own schools and taught their expression of the concepts Yip Man taught. Other students were not skilled. Some of them likewise opened schools. That does not mean that they are good Wing Chun practicioners, or that they understand the concepts. All it means is they went to Yip Man's class.

This fellow is saying things like "teaches the true definition of the Wing Chun art form", when the concept states that there is no 'true definition', there is only personal expression of the concept. He says he will be "revealing the secret internal power techniques of the Wing Chun system taught to him by the late Grandmaster Yip Man". There are no such secrets. The system itself trains for that internalization of power. Nothing secret about it.

"For the first time in history, Sifu Chris Chan (direct disciple of the late Grandmaster Yip Man) and his senior students will publicly demonstrate the ENTIRE Wing Chun kung fu system." So everyone else in the world has no clue about the ENTIRE system, eh? The ENTIRE system comprises 3 open hand forms, 1 dummy form, chi sao sparring, and two weapons forms. The secret is doing all of these correctly with focused forward intention for a LONG time.

Can I learn anything from this guy? Quite frankly, it's going to take a much more open mind than I seem to possess. I would be much more receptive to his personal expression of Wing Chun if he didn't wrap it in "I am the Great and Powerful Oz!" hype.

Chum Kil
05-31-2001, 09:23 PM
I know what you are saying. I've read his website. He did catch your attention and probably alot of people that have no idea what wing chun is all about thats probably his intention. Until I meet someone in person I try to keep my judgements to myself.

Yes, Yip Man did teach a few people, who is to say Sifu Chan is not good. With all the bull****/politics going around in the WC/VT/WT world it's a wonder who is good and who is not.

John

Have little and gain;

handsome
05-31-2001, 09:31 PM
here is Master Chris Chan's website

http://uswingchun.com

Master Chris Chan and William Cheung are two of the most original students under Yip man, please dont miss this great oppt to meet him in person and to see the missing pieces of wing chun ... the Wing Chun Secret from Master Chris Chan. ;)

S.Teebas
05-31-2001, 09:37 PM
....are you really chris chan just trying to get some extra publicity??

Watchman
05-31-2001, 09:38 PM
>>>Chris Chan and William Cheung are two of the most original students under Yip man<<<

What does "most original" mean? :confused:

handsome
05-31-2001, 09:43 PM
Chris Chan is the most powerful wing chun master alive today, his fists is more deadly than Mike Tyson...

Mr Big Vern, please come to meet the great master Chris Chan if you still have something to say about this geart master, please say it in front of him ... I am sure Chris Chan more than happy to show you one or two moves ...

Sihing73
05-31-2001, 09:59 PM
Hello All,

Once again I am amused by some of the things that I read here. We have some who make claims to greatness and have the support of their followers. I find it a bit amusing that many of those "followers" or "advocates" do not include an email address. Kind of makes me wonder who is who and how many post under a different alias :p

Chris Chan has been around for a while. He does not have a very favorable reputation among most of the Wing Chun community. Still, there are those who admire, respect and adore him. Kind of like everyone else ;) I think that everyone can find at least one person within their lineage like Chris, liked by some hated by others.

The only thing to be gained here is to decide whether or not you want to take the opportunity to attend this event. If you do then go and I wish you well. However, it is unlikely that anyone will change anyone elses mind in this forum. I believe that many misconceptions are the result of not meeting in person. I am sure that many of us would find we are closer than we think if we met and practiced. Maybe the same could be said for Chris Chan as well(?)

As to the idea of secret techniques etc. Let me let everyone in on the ONE TRUE SECRET!!!!

Ready? Are you listening? Maybe you better sit down for this!

Drumroll Please............................

The TRUE SECRET is.............PRACTICE!!!!!!!!!

Thats it, practice and train hard and spend less time looking for the magic pill and you might get somewhere.

Peace,

Dave

Chum Kil
05-31-2001, 10:10 PM
Sihing73

Words well spoken.

John

Have little and gain;

wingchun.com
06-01-2001, 12:38 AM
Bruce Lee for one. He showed up at Chan's school, did chi sau with him and told him not to use the name Wing Chun for his system as his kung fu was not good enough to represent Yip Man.

Therefore, Chan for a while named his school something like Lightening Hands.

Want a confirmation of this? Just ask Leo T. Fong, who know Bruce Lee well and even dedicated his Choy Lay Fut book to Bruce.

Big Vern
06-01-2001, 06:45 PM
dear handsome, u have once again convinced me that chan be the man, i'm sure he can out punch tyson, ali and holyfield. i should think that in your imagination chris chan could probably take on thor and most of the titans.
i wont be coming to the demo due to travel costs but will be happy to take on any chris chan reps in the U.K.
good luck with the medication.

mun hung
06-01-2001, 07:52 PM
Don't know much about Chris Chan or his kung fu, but I did speak at length to one of his more senior students not long ago. This student now lives in NYC and told me he had problems finding a good school over here. He will be visiting our school soon. He told me Chris Chan's guy's are pretty tough and how they do lots of fighting drills in their school. For all we know they might be pretty good. I'm anxious to see the skill of his student once he comes to visit. Does anyone else have any firsthand experience with Chris Chan or any of his students besides "Handsome?"(sorry Handsome, no insult to you) Just curious.

unclaimed effort
06-02-2001, 03:56 AM
Wing Chun secrets???LOL, LOL. closest to a secret is sil lum tao and chi sau. :)

If two tigers fight, the result will be one injured tiger.

Stillness in stillness is not real stillness. Stillness in motion is real stillness.

unclaimed effort
06-02-2001, 03:59 AM
first you have to stick to the guy's hand to beat bruce lee's speed. but if he is faster than you how can you stick to him in a real fight? :)

If two tigers fight, the result will be one injured tiger.

Stillness in stillness is not real stillness. Stillness in motion is real stillness.

DrunkMonkeyFist1
06-02-2001, 04:37 AM
I used to train with Sifu Chris Chan in San Francisco, now I am in Va and I train under Sifu Tony Massengill, under the Ip Ching lineage.
The two styles of Wing Chun I've done are completely different.
There are alot of and differences in the way the power is gathered in the two different styles...While now I'm learning to do the Siu Nim Tao relaxed and with light flow, Chris always instructed us to do it with Dynamic Tension/Chi Gung being applied throughout the whole form..
As far as being the strongest man in the world , well he's quite a strange man, I've never seen anyone do some of the things he's done..For example while we were training in class, doing siu nim tao he used to go around and do a Hark choy( bird beak?) or whatever to peoples arms..he wouldnt hit anyone hard or anything but as soon as he did it it felt like a **** cigarette burn and the blood would start swelling toward the surface of the skin.The Part that he touched with the ends of his fingertips (3/4 inches in radius) would turn purplish black then in concentric circles the blood would be in lighter shades of purple to finally a green tinge at the outer parts of the affected area (2-4inches in radius). As far as his 1 inch punch goes I've seen him send 300 pound guys off of Market St. back literally 10-15 feet..So as far as power goes it I wouldn't underestimate him. But thats not the REAL question here ..I think the real question is : is it WING CHUN?
Chris never has proclaimed that he teaches the forms exactly as Ip Man thought him, he'll tell you that right away, he says he's modified the system to expand on what he was thought..
while I was training under him I've seen a few things that I have never heard of in Wing Chun , (not that I've been studying it for decades , but when your as interested in the system as i am , you try to learn as much as you can)
one of them being the heavy hands set on the dummy
which I've never heard of in wing chun forms, and another closely kept secret which is the small handknife set , which I've only seen applications of, never a form..Another part of the cirriculum was the Golden Bell set which was another dynamic tension set used to build Iron Shirt which was done a couple of times a month..
The style of wing chun Im doing now is totally different, The power comes literally from the structure , not from Chi gung/ Hei gung , which is what I think what he's talking about when he says internal..
I now practice the style in its purest form , the way it was passed on from Great Grandmaster Ip Man to his son Ip Ching, without any external engineering done to it, the way it was intended to be passed on I'm sure.
But don't pass judgement on Chan Sifu either, cause even if it isn't in its original form it works very well
Anyway like anything in this world Im just saying dont knock it till you've tryed it, if you think he's a bunch of B.S go out there and ask him or one of his senior students for a little challenge or demonstration . I'm sure , knowing the man for a few years, I can tell you he'll welcome the challenge.
My intention is not to offend , Im much more about finding out the truth of what actually works then arguing about politics. To me learning two different styles of W.C don't necesarrily mean they contridict each other, as a matter of fact its helped me learn more effective ways of using certain tools that this art has to offer..
Peace

Watchman
06-02-2001, 05:19 AM
Welcome to the Family, and give my regards to Sifu Tony.

Ars vitae
06-02-2001, 06:35 AM
Thank you for your post. I was wondering when another perspective was to be posted. It's been said over and over, that MA has far to much internal politics. Regardless of which style of Wing Tsun you do, over the years I've come to the conclussion, that The Art of Wing Tsun, is that; an Art. So expect to see different expressions of Wing Tsun and appreciate it for how the practioner displays their art, for the important consideration to take into, is that the underlying philosphies, principals and techniques are adhere too, it is still Wing Tsun. If however it goes against the prinicipals it is not. It becomes another art. I have not met Chris, only heard of him. Therefore I do not wish to argue for or agianst his teaching's or school. Simply appreciate his expression and others.

jameswebsteruk
06-02-2001, 11:30 AM
Could you explain the meaning behind the quotation in your signature?

If two tigers fight, you may end up with two dead tigers, two injured tigers, or one dead tiger, or one dead tiger and one injured tiger, or two unharmed tigers, or .. . . ..

Im sure there is a deeper meaning to it, I just dont get it. :)

WongFeHung
06-06-2001, 07:48 PM
"when two tigers fight, one dies, the other is mauled" is the way I heard it. The meaning is, there is no victor.

sifuironfist
06-06-2001, 09:35 PM
Chris Chan may have admitted to his students that he has MODIFIED the wing chun system. But his web site would lead one to believe that he teaches Yip Man's wing chun. This is very misleading. He may be good, but he should name his MODIFIED system something other than just Wing Chun.

Americans are so smart, they can put a man on the moon, but they still study Karate!!!

Sihing73
06-07-2001, 11:03 PM
Hello,

Once again I am amused by some of the things I read. Here we have an assertion that Chris Chan should call his method "modified". My question is why? If you take all of Yip Mans students and have them work out I would be willing to bet each one would do things differently. So then, who has the true method and who does a modified version?
To be totally frank, everyone who trains in Wing Chun "modifies" it to some degree as they tailor it to their body type and their needs. It is the concepts which they incorporate to their own mentality and need. Thus, each and every one of us is guilty of "modifying" our art to some extent. I doubt anyone practices Wing Chun the same way as those who founded the art did many years ago ;)

If you can't internalize the art for you then you need to rethink your method of practice, IMHO :o

Peace,

Dave

sifuironfist
06-08-2001, 02:10 AM
While I agree with you about everyone doing their Wing Chun slightly different, this is not the case with Sifu Chan. His "Wing Chun" is totally different than that taught by Yip Man, but he still uses Yip Man's name in order to sell his teaching. This is not a case of a different hand position, foot position, or some such minor variation of the Yip man method. This guys "Wing Chun" is a totally different creature.

Americans are so smart, they can put a man on the moon, but they still study Karate!!!

Sihing73
06-08-2001, 10:48 PM
Hello SifuIronFist,

I understand what you are saying and you are welcome to your opinion. I am kind of playing Devils Advocate since I have heard nothing really good about Sifu Chan. Still, having never met him, it is a bit unfair to speak poorly of him.

My point is that nobody does Wing Chun the same way Yip Man did. Out of Yip Mans lineage we have a variety of people advocating different methods. Some more traditional some very different. For example: William Cheung, Leung Ting, Augustine Fong/via Hok Kam Ming, as well as Duncun Leung and Yip Mans sons.

Some of these people advocate using a bit of strength and some are softer :) Some have incorporated other things, such as Chi Gung, into the art. Francis Fong has explored the art of Kali and this has benefitied both himself and his students.

My point is that just about everyone would need to say they teach "modified" Wing Chun as no one, not even Yip Mans sons teach exactly as Yip Man did. However, I can respect your feelings and your position.

Peace,

Dave

jameswebsteruk
06-09-2001, 01:11 PM
Sure, everyone has to interpret WC in their own way. Wong Shun Leung always used to have a "disclaimer" at the start of his seminars (ever the diplomat), where he would state that the following was his personal interpretation of wing chun, this was so that no one could so he was claiming his method was "right" and everyone elses "wrong".

He also used to say to make Wing chun your own, be its master, not its slave.

However, this only goes so far, if as you adapt wc you find that you are going against the basic principles of wc (simplicity, attack not defend, directness), then it is no longer wc. If you incorporate rounded attacks from Choy lei fut, say, no matter how effective they may be, is it wc anymore? I would say not.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running
around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." ;)