PDA

View Full Version : seminars/get togethers in NYC area

travelsbyknight
06-14-2004, 10:47 AM
It's summer time! So that means we should all plan an east coast get togther(not sure if that's one word).

Ultimatewingchun
06-14-2004, 10:50 AM
travelsbynight:

If you come up with enough interested people who might actually show up - pm me about it.

VingDragon
06-14-2004, 10:57 AM
Let's meet guys! I live in Brooklyn, a Sunset Park area. I need somebody to practice chisao with and other staff. Just tell when and where

Ultimatewingchun
06-14-2004, 11:13 AM
VingDragon:

Are you aware of the fact that there is a Ving Tsun school right there in Sunset Park?

It's run by Sifu Miguel Hernandez. He was a student of Moy Yat. Let me know if you want his phone #....He's a friend of mine.

VingDragon
06-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Yes, my Friend,
I know that school :) I was there, once
I live pretty close to that school, but I don't think they are interested to trening with other Weng Chun lineage instructor like me :(
but who knows, all is changing

I'm open mind person and I'm looking for friends in Yong Chun community - not enemies

so, please let's meet all somewhere and let's practise together

kj
06-14-2004, 12:28 PM
I know it's a bit of a hike for you NYC folks, but please know that you are also welcome and encouraged to join us for the East Coast Gathering in the Greater Rochester area July 17th.

I just posted the info on a previous gathering thread, and will update with a few additional details soon.

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

Tom Kagan
06-14-2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by VingDragon
[B]I live pretty close to that school, but I don't think they are interested to trening with other Weng Chun lineage instructor like me :(
but who knows, all is changing

That has to be the most incongruous statement ever said about Miguel.

Are you absolutely, positively, sure you went there to learn? ;)

VingDragon
06-14-2004, 01:11 PM
:) maybe I'm wrong but I had that kind of feeling :)

anyway, can we meet all together now?

travelsbyknight
06-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Rochester is a lot more than a little hike.

I have an idea. Why don't all of you Rochester people move the gathering to NYC. Then we can all be happy.

There are more wing chun people here anyway.

Jason Bourne

Ultimatewingchun
06-14-2004, 07:34 PM
VingDragon:

You mentioned that you do Weng Chun....Can I assume then - that you know who Holger Eckert is?

VingDragon
06-14-2004, 08:21 PM
off course I know Holger :D why you ask?

I know all members of German Weng Chun Team

Ultimatewingchun
06-14-2004, 08:48 PM
I mention Holger because about 4 months ago - as a result of some nice previous interaction via email between myself and Andreas Hoffman....

Andreas informed me that his student, Holger, would be in NYC for a weekend.

I picked him up at the Plaza Hotel on a Sunday...and as my school was not available that day for a workout - I called Miguel...

and the three of us worked out at Miguel's school for a few hours...had a late lunch...and I drove Holger back to the hotel.

I had never met him before - he's a good guy.

VingDragon
06-15-2004, 06:55 AM
:) Greetings for all American Yong Chun Practitioners :) especially NYC area

Matrix
06-15-2004, 06:56 AM
Nice work Sandman2. :cool:

VingDragon
06-15-2004, 07:12 AM
I guess that is the price you pay for getting a little bit famous... I don't care to be a famous, I just want to meet some normal people in my area to trening with - that's it

VingDragon
06-15-2004, 09:11 AM
so, when and where we can arrange an meeting? any ideas? guys...

Ultimatewingchun
06-15-2004, 11:16 AM
What is Yong Chun?
What's all this about somebody being famous?

VingDragon
06-15-2004, 11:44 AM
ooo, I'm sorry for that term :)

'YongChun' is a name of all VT,WCh, WT, etc... Community, I use to name in different Polish forums. I don't confuse myself and others to separate different lineages, and that's why I call it with one word. I hope you'll understand it

being famous? ha, it's a long story

Sandman2[Wing Chun]
06-15-2004, 12:19 PM
I've seen YongChunChuan as a romanization of the Mandarin pronunciation of WingChunKuen, which is the Cantonese way of saying it.

Ultimatewingchun
06-15-2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks, Sandman...
----------------------------------------------------------

As to the get-together:

I would suggest a park - preferably on a Sunday afternoon.

1ft choice) Prospect Park (Brooklyn)

2nd choice) Central Park (Manhattan)

Or some other park?

VingDragon
06-15-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Sandman2[Wing Chun]
I've seen YongChunChuan as a romanization of the Mandarin pronunciation of WingChunKuen, which is the Cantonese way of saying it. Yes, it is but I meaned of all branches as a one family

Originally posted by Ultimatewingchun I would suggest a park - preferably on a Sunday afternoon.
1ft choice) Prospect Park (Brooklyn)
As for me Prospect Park sounds good but also Battery Park in Manhattan is OK

Who'll join us ?

mortal
06-15-2004, 03:30 PM
Name the day and the time. Make it official.

VingDragon
06-15-2004, 03:42 PM
Prospect Park,

Sunday, June 20

7 PM (because of humid) I'm dying :(

I wiil be there

(just in case) my phone is 718-809-2033

Ultimatewingchun
06-15-2004, 07:20 PM
7:00 PM is a bit late...I wouldn't be getting home until at least 9:30. Will have things to do around the house and still try to get to bed at a reasonable hour (have to get up early Monday morning).

I suggest 5:00 PM...The sun won't be as strong as it was all afternoon; and besides, there are plenty of big trees to have a workout under in Prospect Park - they'll block the sun.

Who else is interested?

So far:

VingDragon
mortal
Ultimatewingchun

kj
06-15-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by travelsbyknight
Rochester is a lot more than a little hike.

I have an idea. Why don't all of you Rochester people move the gathering to NYC. Then we can all be happy.

There are more wing chun people here anyway.

Jason Bourne

:D

Well ....

We're combining it with our annual Rochester area picnic, so it's a confirmed event anyway with a typically good turnout (30+ last year)
I'm not in a good position to do the planning for an event of that nature or magnitude in the NYC area (out of my "range" so to speak)
Even though the density of WC people in NYC is greater, there are lots of WC people in areas surrounding us such that Rochester is a central hub for many (Canadian metropolitan areas, PA, Albany, some areas of the midwest; adding just a few more hours to the drive, and we're central to some "stretch" areas as well)
Western NY is a great place for a short summer get away. By July, we'll even have the Fast Ferry to Toronto up and running ... they call it "The Breeze". :)
More (rather than less) WC/MA exchange events is a good thing in its way, so ....

You all are still welcome to join us if you can, in addition to your local gathering which seems to be shaping up. Similarly if you keep us informed of details, I'll gladly pass the word around in our neck of the woods about your NYC shindig. We're just a train ride, bus ride, short Jet Blue hop, or over-night road trip away. :)

Regards,
- Kathy Jo

travelsbyknight
06-15-2004, 10:35 PM
I'm the one who started this thread so I should get a say in what day this falls on and the time.

7pm is waaaaaaaayyyyyyy too late. Are you kidding? It will still be hot and humid at that time. It's called "the summer." This Sunday is a bit too soon. Let's make it later so more people have a chance to take off from work, like me. I just started my job and its a bit too soon to ask for a Sunday off. How about a Friday morning???

VingDragon
06-16-2004, 04:30 AM
OK, let it be:

Prospect Park

option to choose:

Saturday or Sunday June, 19 or 20

5.30 PM

PS. Friday? Morning? People usually work on Fridays at that time

Ultimatewingchun
06-16-2004, 10:56 AM
travelsbynight:

I agree that this Sunday is too soon - not enough advance notice...and I definitely agree that 7:00 is way too late.

Friday mornings and Saturday afternoons are no good for me.

And you're right - it's your thread.

So you work it out with those who are interested - and get back to me.

mortal
06-16-2004, 02:14 PM
I'm flexible. Weekends are best. I usually ride my bike to prospect park anyway.

VingDragon
06-16-2004, 03:02 PM
Hey guys! It's a first time meeting, so don't worry. I'm flexible, too. We can arrange also future/next meetings in NY.

VingDragon
06-19-2004, 10:59 AM
...so,

to be or not to be

that's the question :)

VingDragon
06-20-2004, 04:14 PM
:) niiiicee
I spent weekend in Prospect Park with my family (Father's Day) hoping someone of you will be there too. We had BBQ, a lot of beer, sun and big fun... but no one came :p