PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Bone

Judge Pen
06-14-2004, 02:45 PM
It may be funny having a lawyer ask this question, but is it illegal to buy Tiger Bone in the States? I've found references to federal laws that prohibit the import of endangered specieis parts into the United States, but that law, from what I have read, does not specifically ban the sell (it encourages states and municipalities to do the banning on a local level). It also appears to only deal with the animals that were poached or illegally killed. What about animals that die from natural causes?

Judge Pen
06-15-2004, 12:08 PM
:confused:

*In best Ben Stein voice* Anyone? Anyone?

MasterKiller
06-15-2004, 01:07 PM
Why would you use animal parts from an animal that died of natural causes. Isn't the whole point to capture the 'living' essence?

You wouldn't accept a heart transplant from someone who died from a heart attack, would you?

Judge Pen
06-16-2004, 06:17 AM
I think the medicine grinds the bone to a powder. While an esoteric approach may be to capture the spirit, I think its just another type of supplement that could be replicated synthetically. But I know a guy who uses the stuff and said that it was legal IF the Tiger died naturally. My review is that it's illegal to import but not necessarily illegal to buy, sell or use (varies from locality to locality). I was hoping someone here had some more specific information about any limitation on uses.

BTW, anyone care to comment on the reputed benefits of Tiger Bone?

vikinggoddess
06-17-2004, 02:10 PM
It is illegal to hunt tigers in China according to my teachers. The name of the herb "Tiger Bone" is just a legacy. Bones from other animals are used as a replacement.

Judge Pen
06-21-2004, 06:28 AM
Thanks vikinggoddess. BTW, you have an informative site. I'm thinking of making a watermellon martini for my next cook-out! :D

Tak
06-21-2004, 08:50 AM
I dunno, but I've been hearing good things about "human horn" ....

Toby
06-21-2004, 07:22 PM
:( Why would you want to take tiger-based product anyway? Tigers have long been my favourite animal. Shame their future is limited. I'd be giving my friend a piece of my mind.

Judge Pen
06-23-2004, 06:46 AM
Yeah, he's a bit out there on esoteric training and herbal supplements. But he swears that it is only the bone from tigers that have died natually in captivity. How he can confirm this, or it's even Tiger Bone, I have no idea.

GeneChing
06-30-2004, 10:48 AM
You should boycott any product that claims to contain Tiger Bone, or any endangered species. Tigers are extremely endangered and the alledged effects of such products are so negligible. I did some work on Tiger preservation years ago with Asian Conservation Awareness Program (ACAP) which became Wild Aid (http://www.wildaid.org). Jackie Chan is a spokesperson. Definately give their site a look and find out more. Help spread the word.

"When I saw their video, tears came to my eyes and I said 'Yes, I must help!'" - Jackie Chan

Vajramusti
06-30-2004, 04:53 PM
The pursuit of the tiger bone has had its negative effects in my home state as well-Bengal. The tiger population is a dwindling one and as Gene pointed out- the harm far outweighs any good ny leaps and bounds.

The killing of a bear only for the small amounts of bear bile-
used for some arthritis potions/applications
is reprehensible too IMO.

herb ox
06-30-2004, 05:33 PM
It's an unfortunate situation - manufacturers may have stockpiles prior to the 1993 prohibition, and the black market for Os Tigris is flourishing.

Seems the only way to verify the tiger bone comes from a reliable source is to actually have been there to witness the tiger's natural passing. Otherwise, we have no way of verifying the truth.

Instead of continuing to serve the black market demand for such an item, we should instead spend our energies looking for a suitable replacement.

A document I was reading

http://commdocs.house.gov/committees/resources/hii46818.000/hii46818_0.HTM#24

suggests that research in China has found Pig Bone to be an effective substitute.

peace
herb ox