PDA

View Full Version : Hung Gar school in NYC

NYerRoman
06-14-2004, 03:13 PM
Hey.
I'm going to NY tomorrow...and although I'm a NYer, I live in Rome, and I don't know where the Hung Gar schools are in NYC.
Can anyone indicate a directory or web site or anything?
Thank you.
Rob

WanderingMonk
06-14-2004, 06:33 PM
http://www.yeeshung-ga.com/branches.htm

Akhilleus
06-14-2004, 07:13 PM
Quid Pro Quo, Mr. Rob <lifts finger to mouth, a la Dr. Evil>,you give me the names of some martial arts schools in Rome, and I'll direct you to one in NYC...

Seriously, I am going to Rome this fall for 4-5 months and am looking for somewhere to train...any ideas? I'm mostly interested in sports (boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, jujitsu) but am certainly open to any suggestions...And the place I was going to suggest in NYC was Yee's Hung Ga...thanks!

Ray Pina
06-15-2004, 09:21 AM
Definitely check out Mr. Yees. I trained with one of his old students a while back. Some good stuff, some not so good stuff but great as far as Hung Gar goes.

Are you heading into Chinatown today? I'm going to be right by his school to pick up a pole for a friend. I can take you there, we can get a bite to eat and than I can introduce you to my master if you like, see some internal boxing, ground work, ect.

NYerRoman
06-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Cool. I'll send you my number by email and call. I'd definately like to check out the school.
Email me at robertopurvis@hotmail.com and I'll send my cell number.

Shaolin Dude
06-17-2004, 09:58 PM
can someone tell me what kung fu schools are inside manhattan's chinatown?

Ray Pina
06-18-2004, 06:55 AM
It might be hard to come up with a definitive lists, because there's a lot of underground type of schools ... literally.

My master just pointed out to me that there's a Spanish-style fencing school on the same block as our school, but it's in the basement. I've been walking past it now for who knows how long its been there.

I spent about 8 months looking for my teacher because his student that I knew gave me a hard time and wanted to get to know me before he'd introduce me (I think he just liked being treated for dinner).

Turns out I walked past his school several times during my search, too and in the end the man is very welcoming ... none of that crap was necessary and now the other guy doesn't train there anymore and I'm a student for life.

It will be easier if you can express what you're looking for (Hung Gar, Wing Chun, Bak Mei, Internal)... then I can tell you the known-named schools and even some guys who don't teach formally but that are supposedly quite good. With all that said, I highly recomend checking out my master at 161 Bowery (7th floor) (212) 226-1792.

I'll bet you a dinner -- for real -- that you will like what you see ... be it stand up, ground, pole or sword. I was pretty happy doing what I was doing until I came across this. I also come across a lot and I LOVE martial arts ... I'm still here. I would leave if I saw something that blew me away.

But its really about finding what works for you. This place trains two things: health and fighting. Health is the primary aim but if you express an interest in fighting (the school is evolving with more students looking for this) you will be satisfied. My master is 63 and he nearly ripped my arm out of the socket rolling on Tues. He'll insist that you don't fool around. He prides himself on still being able "to do it.". I'm happy I'm training with him now because he has the experience but can still do it... 10 years from now new students will have to take his word on it ... but hopefully me and other students will acquire some of the good stuff by then. Little by little I guess.

I might be skipping class tonight -- arm hurts but might find a way to paddle into some waves -- but will head in on Tues if you want to meet up.

NYerRoman
06-21-2004, 10:59 PM
Akhilleus, I'll be glad to send you some school info as soon as I get there. I have a friend who is a martial artists who combat trains and others who train jj. You sure you don't want kf?
I'm back in Rome next week. I'll ask around. Send an email to mine (see one of my responses).

Thanks for your help. I'm heading to Chinatown with EvolutionFist tomorrow.
Thanks brothers.