PDA

View Full Version : Meat Shake

Water Dragon
06-15-2004, 10:10 AM
Got a job for ya Bro. The wife is moving down around July 1, and we need to find her a good Boxing/Muay Thai program. She is not interested in sparring, but basically wants a fighters workout minus the glove work.

Looking for lots of cardio, BW exercises, and pad work.

She knows her baisc punches, kicks, and combos. She's also a good pad holder. She doesn't hold Thai Pads well, but she does know how to work off of them.

Oh, and no shady spots. Just a good serious gym that will train her hard, but not push sparring.

Meat Shake
06-15-2004, 10:39 AM
Ahh... Good thing she is comming to a martial arts mecca.
:rolleyes:

Ill start checking around, but I cant make any promises... I think there are only like 2 muay thai schools around.
Is she willing to make a drive to austin once or twice a week?
Or does it necessarily need to be muay thai? I know there are a TON of tkd/kickboxing schools around here that train cardio and bag work pretty hard....
Also, if you need help moving in, feel free to drop me a message.

Water Dragon
06-15-2004, 10:46 AM
kickboxing is cool. All she needs is an intense workout, good people, and decent technique.

YinYangDagger
06-16-2004, 12:27 AM
The guy I roll with in BJJ speaks highly of this group:

http://home.earthlink.net/~sinlapa-muay/

They had some full contact fights at this years Asian Festival, they seemed pretty tough. I went by to check them out, very tough workout from what I saw - heavy work on the pads, a lot of calisthenics, Thai music blaring, guys working on the Wai Kru etc. Seemed like fun. They have a full fighting ring, and the instructor seemed cool. They also don't push for competition, but one guy had just gotten back from MT fight in Houston and won by knockout in the 1st round - in seconds.

Water Dragon
06-16-2004, 08:11 AM
YinYangDagger, thanks for the info. I spoke with Pete (head instructor) and he was real cool. I'm gonna have my wife check the school out.

I might end up there as well if I don't do my stand up exclusively with Kirk.

Where do you train BJJ? I'm looking for a place to roll in San An as well.

Water Dragon
06-16-2004, 08:58 AM
Anyone got the story on Mike Rangel's Vale Tudo club?

YinYangDagger
06-16-2004, 09:20 AM
WD - Since I work stupid hours right now, I train with an Air Force guy that has a Purple Belt in BJJ. It's on and off since he's an AF Police Officer and his hours are weird too. However, there's a BJJ school here in SA as well. I just can't attend anything with my work hours, or I'd be there training with Kirk as well. Soon I hope...

As far as the Rangel VT Team is concerned, I really haven't seen them. A while back when I first moved here, I tried to contact them several times but never received a call back. Sorry can't help you out there.

Yeah, Pete is a cool guy. Apparently he's a real big Bruce Lee fan as well. When you first enter the school there's like BL posters everywhere, which kinda set me back, BUT the training was good. We sat down and chatted for a few minutes and from what I gather this is his philosophy: the first few months is nothing but conditioning - calsithenics, bag work, shadow sparring. Before he starts teaching the goods he really wants your body prepared for it. Which you'd probably thank him in the long run once the "real" training begins :)

Meat Shake
06-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
Anyone got the story on Mike Rangel's Vale Tudo club?

Eeeh... Not so hot. They fight a little bit, buy last I heard one of his boys was running his mouth and got his ass handed to him by a TKD red belt.... real bad.

And yes, if I ever get my ass kicked by a TKD red belt, one of you can shoot me in the face with my full consent.

As for the muay thai... The coach is a pretty nice man, and they have a pretty nice set up at their gym. Im not sure what kind of experience he has though... Hes teaching a "wing chun" curriculum as part of "shadow fist".... He has 3 year in wing chun... Get from that what you will.... CPA used to work with his older brother, said that he had some pretty nasty shins and knew a good deal about fighting, so they may have a pretty long standing muay thai background... Im not sure, havent gotten the whole story. I watched the full contact fights at the asian new year festival... They were ok. Not amazing, not bad.