PDA

View Full Version : Northern and Southern Praying Mantis, a comparison

Sim Koning
06-15-2004, 12:29 PM
I’ve noticed there are a lot of threads on this board about southern praying mantis and how it compares or relates to northern. I’ve also noticed a few “which is better” threads as well, which kind of bugs me. So, I decided to write what I know about the subject, since I’ve had the benefit of learning a form from each system. But before I continue, I should probably introduce myself since I’m new.

I’m 22 yrs old and I started training in Jow Ga kung fu not long after I turned 18. I’ve also trained in Wing Chun off and on, but I guess I never really committed to it. My Sifu is Sam (Hing Fai) Chan. I’m currently ranked as an assistant instructor in my class.

Here is our school’s website http://chanskungfu.com, check out the video clips of the Jow gar system if you want to see parts of all our forms and weapons. The two mantis forms that I learned are also shown briefly in the clips. There is also a great San Shou fight clip.

Well on to the subject. My Sifu learned the bonk bo mantis form from the northern system, and flying mantis from the southern system. Though it is true that the northern style imitates the insect more “accurately”, the southern style imitates the insect to some extant as well. The major difference is that the southern style does not use the mantis claw, or diu sau. Instead, southern style uses a phoenix eye fist (ippon ken in karate). This fist technique is used like a mantis claw at times however, with a sharp hooking motion at the end of some of the strikes. This is done to dig the knuckle into the target, not unlike the way a mantis hooks its claws into the body of its prey.

The northern style seems to put more emphasis on grappling, with joints locks, trapping, sweeping and throwing techniques in the forms. Though there is plenty of chin na techniques southern style as well.

Oddly enough, the two styles greatest similarity seems to be the thing that people bring up as being their biggest difference. I am referring to the foot work of the two styles. Both styles use the same hopping and skipping style of foot work, and the same stances. They both use the “hooked leg stance” in which the heel touches the floor and the toes point up while the knee is straight.

Another common question I see on this board is “which is better, which would win”. This is a rather silly question, since that depends on the fighter, his teacher, how well rounded and experienced he is as a fighter etc… But I can tell you that southern style techniques are very effective and deadly. One of the instructors at our school has used the phoenix eye fist in tournaments to great effect. I’ve been shown how painful some of the techniques would be even with light contact.

I hope this has been at least somewhat informative to some of you

-Sim

guy incognito
06-18-2004, 07:49 PM
When we train spm we make contact to parts of the body as conditioning and it really hurts! Were tech. target the throat though we hit the chest for safety reasons and intead of hitting the head our opponent hold out his hand at head height. Note this is for training purposes. In a fight we would hit those tagets ( Throat and head)

Sam
06-20-2004, 07:16 PM
Fut Sao Wing Chun Kuen has many similarities to Southern Mantis. Check out James Cama Sifu http://futsaoyongchunkuen.com/

mantis-1
06-22-2004, 04:29 AM
Hi Sim,

I am not sure what branch of SPM you have learnt but the one you describe doesn't sound southern and I certainly have never heard of flying mantis form (not to say it doesnt exist but I have never heard it within SPM) and sorry to say there is no hopping skipping or hook stance in SPM well definately not in Chow Gar SPM. Are you sure you havent learn't two northern forms?

cheers

looking at those video clips the form labeled southern preying mantis looks nothing like the southern mantis I have seen, I know for sure its not Chow gar or Jooklum..... pretty sure its not Chu or Iron Ox either...... the moves seem way to flash to be southern mantis..... but I could be wrong. Can anyone else enlighten us?