PDA

View Full Version : fun cardio

stubbs
06-15-2004, 01:37 PM
summers pretty much here and its time to shed the pounds. i normally find cardio pretty boring but today i mixed in rope jumping with practicing some forms. i did about 2 mins rope jump followed by going through a form or two then rope jump again when i felt my heart rate lowering a fair bit and i've got my breath back. i did this for about 40 mins and it felt pretty good. low impact as well which is something im after as i tend to get knee problems and shin splints pretty easily with running etc.

has anyone got any other ideas for a mixed up low impact cardio session?
________
Ffm Busty (http://www.****tube.com/categories/537/busty/videos/1)

Serpent
06-15-2004, 04:25 PM
Bagwork, bagwork, bagwork.

Not exactly low impact in some ways, but you know what I mean!

norther practitioner
06-15-2004, 04:30 PM
When there isn't like uber people on the local trails, I'll mtn. bike to the top, find a cool spot, do a form or two, then go bombing back down the trail. I'm going to look into rehanging a bag tonight (I have most of them from my old school) in one of the garages at my house (we have 3, one isn't really used).

CaptinPickAxe
06-15-2004, 07:20 PM
Cardio I find fun:

Bagwork, Rowing, and jumping rope.

I can see how others would find it boring though.

Vash
06-15-2004, 07:29 PM
Ironfist read this thread and had to go lay down.

FooFighter
06-15-2004, 08:18 PM
When I am in the gym I used different Cardio Machines and my favorite are machines with Polar Heart Monitors such as EFX Precore Machines and Life Fitness Treadmills/Bikes. Any non-Polar Heart Monitor machines is truly inferior from my experience. It must be said that knowing your target heart zone is like knowing how much load in weight lifting. Many people in the gym are clueless in either case. Knowing your THRZ, is vital and effective in cardiovascular training. When I am not in the gym, I love jogging, bike riding, and jump roping in the park. So far, I the treadmill is my main tool for my cardio work.

Serpent
06-15-2004, 10:27 PM
If Ironfist read this thread he'd consider it his month's cardio work all done and dusted.

IronFist
06-15-2004, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
If Ironfist read this thread he'd consider it his month's cardio work all done and dusted.

You need to read rtb's sig :)

Serpent
06-15-2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by IronFist

You need to read rtb's sig :)

"Just like Michelangelo saw the angel in the stone, I can look at a guy like Kevin Costner and see a giant peach grub who can **** 'The Blue Danube.'" -- Elijah C. Skuggs

:confused:

rubthebuddha
06-16-2004, 12:42 AM
sorry, ironfist, but randy quaid's quote from "freaked" has your ass beat. :D

stubbs
06-16-2004, 03:31 AM
i would do bag work but my shoulders only just started getting better. my shoulders even ache a bit when i rope jump but its bearable. i could always just focus on kicking the bag i guess.

i found a good rowing circuit which i might try:

row 1 min, rest 1 min,
row 2 min, rest 2min,
row 3 min, rest 3 min,
row 4 min, rest 4 min, and then piramid back down to row 1 min, rest 1 min.

i'll probably stretch or find something else to do in the rest periods. gonna give it a shot tmrw
________
Website Design (http://hostndesign.com)

inic
06-16-2004, 02:51 PM
Don't know why so many people try to avoid running. I got knee probs too, and to compensate, run on grass. Makes a HUGE difference. I literally feel the difference instantly on my knees when I switch from running on pavement to grass. Running is THE best cardio, no way around it.
Could try swimming to, I personally think that's 3rd best.
for me, I get the biggest sweat from
1) running
2) boxing, IF the room is rather hot, don't use a cool room.
3) swimming

Never got a big sweat from jumproping, don't know how these other people are doing it...

But seriously, try running on grass for a few days. Another thing I never understood is why do so many guys hate running when it's where all the girls are? I see so many freakin hot girls when running. I see maybe 2 or 3 in the gym.

Toby
06-16-2004, 08:38 PM
Yeah, running kills me too. But over winter I'm doing the rowing ergo. If you have access to an ergo, you might like to try HIIT (http://www.trainforstrength.com/Endurance1.shtml). Over and done with quickly and you'll do wonders for your endurance.

IronFist
06-16-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by Serpent

"Just like Michelangelo saw the angel in the stone, I can look at a guy like Kevin Costner and see a giant peach grub who can **** 'The Blue Danube.'" -- Elijah C. Skuggs

:confused:

Oh. His sig used to be a quote from me that said "Thinking about all that cardio made me tired," or something like that. Maybe it was "All that thinking about cardio made me tired."

Serpent
06-16-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by inic
2) boxing, IF the room is rather hot, don't use a cool room.

Why? You don't warm up when you box?

Pork Chop
06-17-2004, 07:28 AM
running the best cardio ever?

I'd love to see the studies that prove such a bold statement.

I mean I know Rocky Marciano had the best conditioning and endurance of any heavyweight EVER- and ran 10 miles a day; but other fighters with great conditioning (like Frank Shamrock) would beg to differ.

In Rock's own words, one of the reason he got out of boxing was because his back was almost gone.

I've run on grass before and no, it's no better- but then I don't just have bad knees, my structural problems extend a lot further.

Swimming shouldn't even be on that list; unless you're doing butterfly stroke the whole time, or don't know how to swim.

Say what you want about elliptical crosstrainers, stairmasters, and rowers- but I think you're being a bit biased if you don't even leave them open as an option.

That being said, my dad's rower usually messes up my knee- just to the inside of the patella.

the elliptical cross trainer works the best for me and with the interval training mode on level 19 (out of 20) it's a killer workout.

Meat Shake
06-17-2004, 10:39 AM
I actually really enjoy the HIIT program Im doing right now... The excercise I use is a variation on greenbays from football... I work a combo on the heavy bag, drop to my stomach on the ground (push up position) and get back up as fast as I can and work the combo, drop to the ground, get back up... ect....
Its fun. :)

stubbs
06-17-2004, 11:54 AM
do you actuallly do push ups at the bottom or is it more like a burpee?
________
Teen vids (http://teenvid.org)

Toby
06-17-2004, 07:24 PM
BMB, I did sprinting for about 6mths on the HIIT program, twice a week. Now I do it on a rowing ergo over the Oz winter. I found that the sprinting works my heart rate a lot more than the rowing. I don't prefer one over the other - HIIT sucks regardless :p - but I would feel that sprinting worked me harder.

A couple of other things I'd do if I had the room: sled or tyre dragging and tractor tyre flipping. Dragging a tyre at the beach would be fun because you could progress up tyre sizes for different difficulties of workout. E.g. compact car for easy, SUV or truck for difficult. Flipping tractor tyres would be an awesome workout IMHO. Strongest man style.

Pork Chop
06-21-2004, 07:19 AM
Toby

It'd be nice if there were some kind of forward pressing resistance that they could add to the rowing machine, because (from my experience) it only feels like you're working half the time; so I can understand the lower heart rate.

I have a feeling that whatever exercise you do, it all really just boils down to heart rate and number of muscles used.

abobo
06-21-2004, 09:17 AM
I've been jumping rope lately. I like it because it's much more convenient to get in a workout compared to when I use to drive over to the track to run 400s.

I also went for a bike ride yesterday. It's pretty hilly around where I live so it was intense.

mickey
06-21-2004, 03:47 PM
Hi stubbs,

I used to do something similar to what you are doing and plan to get back to.

I would alternate jumping rope with bodyweight squats: this was way before I ever heard of Matt furey. The carry over is that it makes form practice a breeze. You can also include pushups and ab work with the squat interval. Including bagwork as an interval is cool, too.

Here's another I would do: bodyweight squats and horse stance. do not overdo this one!!

mickey

Toby
06-21-2004, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by BMore Banga
It'd be nice if there were some kind of forward pressing resistance that they could add to the rowing machine, because (from my experience) it only feels like you're working half the time; so I can understand the lower heart rate.When I'm in an interval and going flat out, I definitely pull myself forward quite strongly. So I am using (prob.) hamstrings, hip flexors and "core" to do that. But yeah, it's nowhere near the effort of the "row". On the "row" stroke, it's pretty much full body.

Originally posted by BMore Banga
I have a feeling that whatever exercise you do, it all really just boils down to heart rate and number of muscles used. I agree. Especially when the legs are heavily used.