PDA

View Full Version : Kickboxing shorts (or something)

IronFist
06-15-2004, 03:16 PM
Ok so the only shorts I own for working out is my bathing suit. I always work out in long pants and I always wore my old martial arts pants to mma class. But it was really hot yesterday and I was like "****, I wish I had some shorts to train in (not for grappling)."

So what are some good kickboxing shorts? I see cheap ones on eBay... are they good? Altho they look cool, I don't think I want ones with "muay thai" letters on it because my old gym (Straight Blast Gym) had a rule that you couldn't wear Thai shorts to class until you had fought in at least one Muay Thai fight, and I'm too much of a ***** to actually do that. And I don't want anyone seeing me thinking I'm a total bad ass or something.

So make some cheap recommendations.

Thanks.

norther practitioner
06-15-2004, 04:00 PM
Go to wallmart, buy shorts, problem solved

Meat Shake
06-15-2004, 04:04 PM
I own 1 pair of shorts. They are more like swimming trunks. I swim in them and I train kung fu in them.
They were yellow, but now they are yellow with several different colored stains.

lkfmdc
06-15-2004, 05:03 PM
www.venturaboxing.com/storefront.htm
Ventura Fighting Gear

cool san da shorts :D

GeneChing
06-15-2004, 05:26 PM
Buy your shorts at martialartsmart.com (http://store.martialartsmart.net/kicboxshor.html)

Now back to our regular programming.

IronFist
06-15-2004, 06:03 PM
What's up with all these Red Bull shorts I see? Is that like the drink? Are they sponsoring Muay Thai now?

Chang Style Novice
06-15-2004, 07:32 PM
Real men train in sarongs.

SevenStar
06-15-2004, 09:34 PM
thaismai (http://www.thaicollectible.com/thaismaireadymade.htm)

fairtex (http://www.fairtexgear.com/html_documents/gear/gear_products.asp?cat_id=5)

DISCLAIMER: the shorts on their website are out of date, and they are phasing them out, so they are on backorder. However, they do have a pdf of the new catalog available, and they have some AWESOME looking shorts in it. I got a pair last week. If you wan't I'll get you a link to the pdf.

twins (http://www.twinsthaiboxing.com/twbosh20.html)

As far as the bull thing goes, I heard somewhere that red bull was a big supporter of muay thai, but I dunno if it's the energy drink company or not.

Do you ever intend on competing?

SevenStar
06-15-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice

better sarongs than thongs...

IronFist
06-15-2004, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
Do you ever intend on competing?

No, cuz:

1. I'm too old. I'm 23 now and would get schooled by people who are my age and height and weight who have been doing it their whole lives.

2. As mentioned above, I'm a p.ussy. I don't like pain and I have very little, um, "protection" over sensitive places like floating ribs. I'd take one kick or knee and drop with broken ribs. I don't want that.

3. I have a full time job already.

But otherwise I might. Especially if it weren't for #2 :p

The only thing I'd ever even consider competing in would be a BJJ tournament, and I'd still need a ton of training for that cuz I could only go to my school for like 2 months before I had to move and start my job. And there's no schools around here other than like TKD and Karate and cardio kung fu.

Thanks for the links.

IronFist
06-15-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by norther practitioner
Go to wallmart, buy shorts, problem solved

I think I may do that. I just thought it might be harder to kick in regular shorts. But some of these kick boxing shorts look a little short for me.

SevenStar
06-15-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by IronFist

No, cuz:

1. I'm too old. I'm 23 now and would get schooled by people who are my age and height and weight who have been doing it their whole lives.

2. As mentioned above, I'm a p.ussy. I don't like pain and I have very little, um, "protection" over sensitive places like floating ribs. I'd take one kick or knee and drop with broken ribs. I don't want that.

3. I have a full time job already.

But otherwise I might. Especially if it weren't for #2 :p

The only thing I'd ever even consider competing in would be a BJJ tournament, and I'd still need a ton of training for that cuz I could only go to my school for like 2 months before I had to move and start my job. And there's no schools around here other than like TKD and Karate and cardio kung fu.

Thanks for the links.

too old? dude, I'm 26, have a family and a full time job. my muay thai coach is 29. my bjj coach is 28. we all compete. my judo coaches are 38, 31 and 74. the two younger ones compete internationally in judo, and one of them also in bjj. He and my bjj coach medal at like every event they go to... trust me, you're not too old.

Oso is in his 30's and was trying out for a national jujutsu team.

IronFist
06-15-2004, 10:20 PM
Which is better, nylon or satin?

SevenStar
06-15-2004, 10:40 PM
I've never work satin ones, our of fear of them tearing easily. I've heard people recommend against them, and I've heard others say that they hold up just fine.

EDIT: nice attempt to get back on topic, btw.

Toby
06-15-2004, 10:46 PM
*Steers off-topic again*
Back in the day I spent a lot of time in Austria (1987-1996). In those days, the only two countries in the world (apparently) where you could get Red Bull were Austria and Thailand.

Serpent
06-15-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
I thought real men trained naked.

Have I been led along a garden path all these years? I'm not in some kind of naked cult am I!?

Suntzu
06-16-2004, 06:46 AM
nylon to workout in..... the satin ones are more for show... like in the ring....... LOL @ 23 being too old...... had my 1st fight at 26.... so just accept being pu$$y and stop with the other excuses :p

Khun Kao Charuad
06-16-2004, 09:37 AM
Red Bull has been sponsoring Muay Thai for as long as I can remember. They used to sponsor fighters and events as far back as '92, when I started training in Muay Thai. I got my first Red Bull trunks in '95....

Tak
06-16-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar
better sarongs than thongs...
But think how much heat the shorts keep in compared to a thong....

IronFist
06-16-2004, 01:43 PM
Ok what size should I get? My natural waist (thinnest point on my waist) is about 30-31". I see that XXL shorts will fit 30-36", and XL will fit 28-34". Now, XL sounds like it would fit better, but this guy is selling some XXLs that I like for really cheap, so I was wondering if they would fit or not.

Oh, I generally wear pants with a 32" waist, and its kinda baggy and sits below my natural waist (not super low gangsta style, tho). Of course, I don't want my shorts to fit like that.

So the 30-36" shorts sound too big, right?

How about this. What size waist do you have, and what size shorts do you wear?

edit - how tiny are Thai people that an XXL fits a 30" waist?!

SevenStar
06-16-2004, 02:18 PM
which company are you buying from? my fairtex ones are an XL.

IronFist
06-16-2004, 03:57 PM
Um they look to be "Thai Boxing" brand. What size waist do you have, 7?

rubthebuddha
06-16-2004, 04:06 PM
be careful on sizes -- thai shorts seem to follow the size discrepancies of chinese slippers, which means an xl might fit around your thigh.

IronFist
06-16-2004, 09:29 PM
Well looks like I'm probably not going to be getting them cuz Mr. eBay doesn't want to answer his emails. Oh well.

Or maybe he's just busy and hasn't gotten around to it. But I wanted to buy from him cuz he's in USA and I won't have to wait 2 weeks for them to get here from Thailand or UK.

DragonzRage
06-16-2004, 10:36 PM
www.vutmuaythai.com

check it out.

"my old gym (Straight Blast Gym) had a rule that you couldn't wear Thai shorts to class until you had fought in at least one Muay Thai fight"

LOL, thats one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

IronFist
06-16-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by DragonzRage
www.vutmuaythai.com

check it out.

Kind of expensive. And short.

"my old gym (Straight Blast Gym) had a rule that you couldn't wear Thai shorts to class until you had fought in at least one Muay Thai fight"

LOL, thats one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.

I think that's what they said. I don't remember. Anyway, I guess they're just saying that the shorts aren't a fashion statement.

Now if I was all traditional here I'd challenge you to a dual for mocking my school :p

Serpent
06-16-2004, 10:44 PM
Yeah, but at 23 you're too old to fight.

DragonzRage
06-16-2004, 11:16 PM
oh well...I was trained under Master Vut's school, so I just had to plug his stuff. And while I'd agree with SBG's sentiments about thai shorts and the "fashion statement" (yes, it is ridiculous to see goofballs who couldn't bust eggs with their thai kick sporting a bunch of muay thai apparel), making it a rule like that just seems petty and excessive. Thai shorts are comfortable and very practical to train in. All I ever wear when I train is thai shorts, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to deprive other people of wearing them. Besides, fighting should be about individual challenge and commitment...not about "earning your thai shorts". By implementing a rule like that, they are pretty much making it a fashion statement for their competitors to strut around the gym sporting thai shorts so they can advertise it as their badge of courage or something like that. It just sounds pretty dumb to me is all. I have a reasonable degree of combined fighting experience in modified muay thai, san shou, and friendly MMA challenge duels. Funny thing is I don't even remotely consider myself a "real fighter" and even if I did, I sure wouldn't see any need to make a point of it with my thai shorts. But whatever, I'm don't want to go too far on a tangent here. I just wanted to express a thought on this, cuz I found it pretty funny.