PDA

View Full Version : Who would still practice

Chum Kil
05-31-2001, 07:00 PM
How many of you would/still are practice/practicing after you left your kwoon (for what ever reason)? Do you consider doing Wing Chun for the rest of your life?

John

Watchman
05-31-2001, 07:51 PM
Where do you train?

Johnny Hot Shot
05-31-2001, 08:47 PM
Read the book Zen and the martial arts.

"Life's a great adventure, mate."
Jacko Jackson

Abstract
05-31-2001, 08:50 PM
n/m :D :D

Chum Kil
05-31-2001, 09:05 PM
Watchman

I train at home now. Found a partner at my Tai Chi class. I trained at Shawn's school last year for a couple of months.

John

Have little and gain;
Have much and be confused.

Watchman
05-31-2001, 09:16 PM
Cool, Shawn's a good guy. I still have yet to make it up north to see his school. I'm such a slacker.

Chum Kil
05-31-2001, 09:38 PM
Watchman

I enjoyed his classes alot, but I've been doing Cheung's lineage for almost 5 years now and like the footwork better. I'm glad I found a partner to train with. He seems to enjoy it also. The only regret I have at present is I'm not able to continue with the system. When I get some money together I will be heading back to my old school for some private lessons from Sifu.

John

Have little and gain;

Watchman
05-31-2001, 09:41 PM
You're not going to experience much footwork after only having trained with him for 2 months.

Where is your old school and where did you train before?

Chum Kil
05-31-2001, 09:57 PM
That's probably right, but I don't care for the 100/0 stances. My old school was in Sacramento, CA. American Family Martial Arts Center, Sifu Carlan Stewart. Sifu Stewart studied with Sifu Cheung and also with another Sifu from a different lineage. He was also a Sabom (4th Dan) in Tang Soo Do. He is the one who helped me to not use the word "modified". He's always there teaching 5 days a week. The guy never missed a class even when he had rotor cuff surgery in both shoulders (one at a time).

John

Have little and gain;

Watchman
05-31-2001, 10:12 PM
>>>That's probably right, but I don't care for the 100/0 stances.<<<

I understand -- it comes down to personal preference sometimes.

Good luck on your continuing training, and to answer your original question: I sold my soul to Wing Chun a long time ago. There is no way I would ever stop training, for whatever reason, kwoon or no kwoon.

http://www.wckfc.com/masters/man/Sec2-1.GIF

Sunt hic etiam sua praemia laveli
"Here too virtue has its due reward."

BeiKongHui
05-31-2001, 10:28 PM
That's one of the many beauties of Wing Chun-you can practice it at any age. It's a life long thing for me and if I didn't have a place to go I'd teach some people just to have training partners.

"Gong Sao Mo Gong Ching Sao"
- When you talk with the hands,
best not to speak of polite hands.

Chum Kil
05-31-2001, 10:31 PM
Watchman

Thanks

It's been my experience that most people that get into the Martial Arts drop it after a while and never get back into it. To me this does not make to much sense. Some spend alot of time and energy (years) and never train again either at home or at a kwoon. Could it be a matter of space to perform Forms, a partner, a guide (instructor) or could it be a physical thing (Flexibility) to perform certain techniques. To me Wing Chun is the perfect Martial Art. I get better as I grow older, what more could I ask for. I wish everyone who does WC/VT/WT still trains after they leave their kwoons for what ever reasons. Don't give it up.

John

Have little and gain;

mikey
06-01-2001, 05:35 AM
I would say definitely yes.I had trained at
my old kwoon for about 4 years,5 to 6 times a week.I lost my job,and was forced to stop going,
and also had to relocate halfway across the country.I found another job,but it required such long hours and travel( 70-90 hour weeks were common),that it prohibited practice.after almost 5 years,I have taken to practicing again,and have
been back at it for almost a year.
Perhaps my story doesn't portray the ideal you were probably looking to see,but at least in my case,the desire to carry on training has endured.
My love of wing chun has never gone away, and my devotion to it is as strong now as it has ever been.

whippinghand
06-15-2001, 09:56 PM
3 years ago, I wouldn't. Now I would. It's not an art that I practice. It's a journey I live.