PDA

View Full Version : ATTN Vash:

Ray Pina
06-16-2004, 08:15 AM
Hey man, I was thinking about you while heading into Chinatown last night.

I was thinking my two favorite Isshin-Ryu forms.

The forst one is like high purple, low brown belt level, where you come out of the traditional low cross hand block and double tension pushout out and step into a low horse and do the double high block with tension and breathing and then bring them down and do the double block to the side all in low horse .... you do this three time and them come out of it with a right hand hammer blow into your left hand? Do you know this form? There is also a higher ranked form with sai's based off of it?

Also, the one where you come out of the same opening but do a double low knife hand to the groin and then come up with it to the throat and then the hands go out to the side with the crane beak strikes? Then you step out into the three blocks, ect.?

Do you at least have the names to these forms and know where I can get video of them?

If not, I guess I can go back to Newark and pay a visit to my old teacher. Just that they were such a part of my life, and I'd like to do them again at least once with my knew understandings aplied to them.

Thanks
Ray

Ray Pina
06-18-2004, 11:55 AM
bumpity bump bump .... .... hey Vash, this is important! Well, not realy. But it would be fun to do.

Vash
06-18-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by EvolutionFist
The forst one is like high purple, low brown belt level, where you come out of the traditional low cross hand block and double tension pushout out and step into a low horse and do the double high block with tension and breathing and then bring them down and do the double block to the side all in low horse .... you do this three time and them come out of it with a right hand hammer blow into your left hand? Do you know this form? There is also a higher ranked form with sai's based off of it?

Also, the one where you come out of the same opening but do a double low knife hand to the groin and then come up with it to the throat and then the hands go out to the side with the crane beak strikes? Then you step out into the three blocks, ect.?

Do you at least have the names to these forms and know where I can get video of them?

The first set you mentioned, technique-wise, sounds like Seiunchin. However, it's a lower-rank set (awesome grappling stuff, though). But, after reading your second description, the second sounds like Kusanku, which is a purple or brown belt set, and has a sai set, Kusanku Sai.

So, to repeat myself, the form with the dynamic tension/horse stances is Seiunchin, the other form is Kusanku.

I've been gunning to get some videos from http://advinculavideos.com/products.html but he only sells the whole empty hand system as a set ($197.00!!). You might try http://isshprod.nxs.net/Sale.htm the Harold Long videos. I have yet to see them, so I can't give them a rating.

Funny, I figgered I'd've seen something with my name in it earlier. Hope you get this soon enough.

peace

YinYangDagger
06-18-2004, 10:57 PM
Naihanchi is the best kata. :D

Vash
06-19-2004, 07:15 AM
2nd best. Between Sunsu and Sanchin.

YinYangDagger
06-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Never got to Sunsu :(

Actually, I think that ALL the Isshinryu kata are sound and great for fighting in their own individual right.

If I could pick just two to continue training with, it would be Naihanchi and Chinto. I may actually get back to Isshinryu someday, I really enjoyed it.

Vash
06-19-2004, 04:40 PM
Chinto's my fourth favorite. It, and the three I mentioned, are the sets I really work for training applications.

At least, when i can train :(

YinYangDagger
06-19-2004, 05:09 PM
Hey Vash - you know of any good Isshinryu Naihanchi videos out there on the market? Kata breakdowns, bunkai, etc...

Vash
06-19-2004, 05:32 PM
Honestly, just the stuff I linked in response to E-Fist. The Advincula videos, of which I've seen a few clips of each, are about the best Isshinryu stuff you can buy, regardless of lineage.

YinYangDagger
06-19-2004, 10:17 PM
Lineage? LOL, it's beginning to sound like kung fu :D

Vash
06-19-2004, 10:25 PM
Indeed. There's also about as much bickering over who has the "real Isshinryu."

My school was once accused of doing "non-traditional" Isshinryu. I had to ask: what is traditional Isshinryu? Technically, it isn't even 50 years old yet! Plus, it was changed from previous traditions to what it is now. But, I digress.

Also, you might check out www.isshinryu.com

The book "The Isshinryu System" is pretty good. And the guy was taught by one of the instructors on my lineage ;)

YinYangDagger
06-19-2004, 10:45 PM
Didn't know it had gotten that bad :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link! I'll also look for the videos by Advincula, he was a helluva escrima guy as well.

IronFist
06-19-2004, 11:48 PM
I took Isshinryu when I was a little kid (2nd grade). It was awesome :)

We started with empei kata, but I don't think a lot of schools have that one. It's really simple. I don't really remember it, but I remember a bunch of elbowing techniques.

PS dude you put commas at the ends of those URLs so they don't work right unless you remove the comma.

YinYangDagger
06-20-2004, 01:02 AM
hey Vash - shouldn't you be using something like this?

Vash
06-20-2004, 06:51 AM
:eek: :D

Naw, we prefer these. (http://advinculavideos.com/images/megami.jpg) I have one of those special megami from Advincula. Hafta say, I prefer it to the standard design.

IF:

My Post Te is strong, but my Link Fu is weak.