PDA

View Full Version : Learning Kung Fu Online?

06-16-2004, 09:31 AM
Can it be done? The nearest temple is a 75 mile drive for me, to far away to attend regular class. I have found a variety of websites that claim to be able to teach you online for fees ranging from $15.00 per month to $100.00 per month. Anyone have any experiance with this or can you provide me with any guidance?

Chang Style Novice
06-16-2004, 09:48 AM
There is no such thing as training kungfu without a teacher constantly watching you and guiding you, at least not for a beginner. And probably not for anyone but the very most advanced.

No_Know
06-16-2004, 09:51 AM
Without video, helping you might be other than most easy. You can get guidence and concepts and direction. It might have a certificate at some point. You do not necessarily rank easily with those who attend a physical class also to those who see and are seen by (direct vision) a sifu or instructor or instructor's assistant in the same room.

Until you get same room training, you can gain by distance learning. But perhaps take it as information not as gospel.

MasterKiller
06-16-2004, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
There is no such thing as training kungfu without a teacher constantly watching you and guiding you, at least not for a beginner. And probably not for anyone but the very most advanced. Well.......,..........while it is not the best option, and really, learning online should be your last resort, I wouldn't say it's impossible. If you can gain a decent proficiency in grappling by getting The Fighter's Notebook and trying the moves with a friend, you can certainly learn to punch and kick the same way.

I've used techniques from http://www.jiu-jitsu.net during sparring, and after some trial and error I figured them out without any official jiu-jitsu training.

However, if you are learning online, be aware that your learning curve is steep, that you still need a practice buddy to gain a decent proficiency, and that you are missing out on one of the best things about going to class----other people motivating you to become better.

06-16-2004, 11:38 AM
I believe all of you are correct, your answers are pretty much what I expected. My wife and I do have 3 years experiance in TKD but wanted to branch off into the traditional chinese styles. What about a week long seminar type program?

MasterKiller
06-16-2004, 11:59 AM
Seminars are cool, but they often cram a lot of information into a short program, so you wind up forgetting most of what you learned anyway. But live instruction is always best.

No_Know
06-16-2004, 05:37 PM
Seminar will give you some things to think about. If you screen the seminar contets you can find interesting subjects I would hope.

Be well you and yours.