PDA

View Full Version : What got you Interested in Martial arts

TheBlackDragons
06-16-2004, 12:10 PM
When I was 5 my first introduction the ma Was Kung fu Theatre

I was Intrigued from a very young age

I seen Shaolin Mantis and ater that I was obsessed with Praying mantis Kung fu and I always tried to imitate the mantis Techiniques It was magical to me from that point on i knew what i wanted for the rest of my Life

1.How did martial arts Touch you
What are Your stories?

The Black Dragon Society

Thank you for all replies

Shaolinlueb
06-16-2004, 07:08 PM
well my dad would always record those american ninja movies for me, the old karate movies and old kung fu movies for me that were on at 1/2am in the morn. i used to watch em and love em. and i was always a fan of action movies. i started to get back into kung fu movies in high school a lot, watching more hk movies and stuff and searching down jackie chan movies. but one day i was like I'mm gonna sign up, and I did. since then, i got rid of (sort of) my surfer dude attitude, i have become more patient and jsut overall a better person.

Brad
06-16-2004, 08:58 PM
My dad was a TKD blackbelt(old school!) and I thought it was pretty cool. My middle name(Kane) was inspired by the Kung Fu tv series :p

GeneChing
06-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Although my parents never practiced (unless you count my mom's Tai Chi), my grandfather did. He was a Chinese sailor. The only things I know about him was that he allegedly had a second wife and family in China, and that he could sit in horse stance for an hour. That's it. Not even a picture. Many of my cousins practiced and they were a more direct source of inspiration for me. And on my mother's side, I come from Samurai lineage. One of my distant relatives left Japan and the Samurai way when they converted to Christianity. So it was fate, I suppose.

Royal Dragon
06-17-2004, 04:33 PM
I have no idea. I've been doing this stuff so long now it's a part of me. To ask the question would be to ask me why I have arms.

TheBlackDragons
06-17-2004, 05:13 PM
I to use to love Ninja movies when they hit the 80's like a wave

Sho Kosugi was rad,, also after Blood sport came out i watched that movie like 100 times

Banjos_dad
06-19-2004, 03:16 AM
Surrounded by Asian culture as little boy in Hawaii. Then, later on : Kung Fu Theatre, San Francisco's KTVU Channel 2, Saturday mornings (think it was Saturdays...lot of weekends have passed since those days!). We lived in the forest near Nevada City and only 3 channles came in. My dad lives there still.
Introduced to Shorin-ryu by co-workers. Joined their dojo. Later switched to kung fu.

Shaolindynasty
06-19-2004, 12:15 PM
wu-tang clan + shaw brothers movies + Street fighter arcade games= me training

bungle
06-20-2004, 01:50 PM
Jackie Chan films! Van damme films!

Plus one childhood friend who dragged me along to a kung fu class.