PDA

View Full Version : What got you interested in Ma

TheBlackDragons
06-16-2004, 01:19 PM
When I was 5 my first introduction the ma Was Kung fu Theatre

I was Intrigued from a very young age

I seen Shaolin Mantis and ater that I was obsessed with Praying mantis Kung fu and I always tried to imitate the mantis Techiniques It was magical to me from that point on i knew what i wanted for the rest of my Life

1.How did martial arts Touch you
What are Your stories?

The Black Dragon Society

Thank you for all replies

Starchaser107
06-16-2004, 01:35 PM
revenge

and then i became enlightened.
it's been fun.

norther practitioner
06-16-2004, 02:17 PM
A friend in college....

Becca
06-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Was bored. I like to keep busy and I love challenging myself.

Dim Wit Mak
06-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Self defense skills, Count Dante, Bruce Lee, David Carradine.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-16-2004, 04:06 PM
i watched a kid break his arm while skateboarding, and when his face squinted up and he let out a high pitched squeel, i knew that i had to learn to do that to people.

Vash
06-16-2004, 04:29 PM
I was doing karate in the womb.

Unfortunately, once I made it to kindergarten, there was only an ATA school around (momma thought. Turns out, my currect school was up and running then) never really quit doing ma since then

my story: got my fu(king chest busted up something fierce at my Shodan test, STILL waiting for that b.tch to fu(king heal.

I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza.

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-16-2004, 10:00 PM
I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza.

thats ****in sig worthy. i wish i werent still using the same sig for the past 4 years and all attached to it and ****.

shaolin kungfu
06-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Sig snagged

Serpent
06-16-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity

thats ****in sig worthy. i wish i werent still using the same sig for the past 4 years and all attached to it and ****.
You can have more than one sig line, you know. I wouldn't, because it's tacky and amatuerish. But you could.

dodger87
06-17-2004, 07:27 AM
Because my mom had an affair with the Karate instructor. j/k.

SPJ
06-17-2004, 07:38 AM
Health, fitness, ch'an meditation, legends, histories, and ethics.

Self-defense.

MA in broader sense is the art of fighting and military. I like the personal stories.

Song emperor and Tai Tzu Chang Quan.

General Han Tong and Tong Bei Quan.

Wang Lang was defeated all the time. One day he discovered Praying Mantis fighting methods, took notes, studied and created PM.

General Yuet Fei and Xing Yi.

General Chen Wang Ting and Tai Ji Quan.

Hong Xi Guan and Hung Gar/tiger crane.

Shaolin nun and Wing Chun.

Da Mo and Ch'an, Yi Jing Jing.

Zhang San Feng, theory of Nei Jia & Tai Ji Quan, and Wu Dang Wushu.

Er-mei Daoist Nun and EM Wushu.

Military history:

US militia, David Crockett and Alamo.

US marine in Iwo Jima.

US navy in the battle of Midway.

British RAF in the battle of Britain.

German Afrika Korp/desert fox General Rommel.

On and on

Suntzu
06-17-2004, 09:09 AM
Black Belt theater and an a$$ whoopin i got at somewhere around 11 or 12......

TheBlackDragons
06-17-2004, 05:07 PM
I love the stories to

there ,,,,awesome

Oso
06-17-2004, 07:11 PM
Thank you, Serpent. I haven't laughed that hard in weeks.

SPJ
01-22-2005, 06:58 PM
I saw people practicing CMA in Taipei parks early in the morning.

I asked what are they doing?

My father said Da Quan Tou. Practice boxing.

What was that guy doing?

Tang Tui (bounce leg).

What was he doing?

Yang Tai Ji.

And this.

Seven star Tang Lang.

And this.

White Ape Tong Bei.

And this.

Yi Fu Ba Gua Zhang from Gong Bao Tien.

Who are they?

They are students and teachers.

I said Oh.

I was only 6 years old.

Hua Lin Laoshi
01-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Watching Green Hornet on TV. Yea I'm that old.

SPJ
Rub it in why don't ya.

Edit:
Bought a Judo book when I was about 10 and practiced on my sister. At about 15 a Ju Jitsu school opened nearby but I couldn't get the parents to spring for lessons. Didn't get any formal training until age 21 when a Kenpo school opened a few towns away and I was working so I could afford the $20 a month.

Didn't hit Kung Fu until I was over 30 then Wah Lum at about 35. You're never too old.

Actually I did get some Kung Fu from my first Kenpo teacher. He started driving up to Moy Yat's in NY once a month and teach his senior guys what he was learning. He also brought in Dennis Decker to teach a few times.

MoreMisfortune
01-22-2005, 08:11 PM
it was Rurouni Kenshin's fault

BM2
01-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Watching "Kung Fu" before it was in re-runs. Thought that it was so cool.
I was so fired up after one episode that I snuck up behind my older sister while she was reading and got her in a head lock. Couldn't get the choke so I cranked her neck. She ended up having to go the chiropractor and when she got back I had to run for my 11 year old life.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-23-2005, 02:26 AM
i wasn't interested in sports period and my dad wasnt gonna raise no ***get god bless his soul.

that's the truth.

[eidt] my sister says he would of loved me even though i did turn out to be a ***get, and the real reason he got me into martial arts is he knew that i was small of stature and large of mouth.

David Jamieson
01-23-2005, 08:29 AM
Ali

SPJ
01-23-2005, 09:22 AM
I barely remembered some scenes in "Green Hornet".

I remember the tune of hornet buzzing well.

Bruce Lee kicked high and moved too fast for the camera.

Meat Shake
01-23-2005, 09:40 AM
Hmmm...
Kung fu the series
Bruce Lee
Ninja Turtles

I started TKD at age nine, found my way through various others... Did a lot of reading one year and decided I wanted to learn kung fu, and unknowingly wound up in Shaolin-Do.
I did enjoy it in all honesty, until being dismantled by kirk.

Now I am here in the great white north with neither the time nor money to properly train. Only time to workout and go over various drills... soon enough Ill have time to get back into it.

David Jamieson
01-23-2005, 09:42 AM
yer in Canada?

Radhnoti
01-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Kung fu theatre and ninja flicks in the 80's had me wishing I could learn as a kid. Dabbled here and there with seminars and individual classes.
Highlander: The Series piqued my interest enough by the late 90s to warrant buying a book that looked interesting. "Living The Martial Way", by Forrest Morgan was the book and it was fantastic. Inspired, I went out and joined a local jujitsu school. My (serious) training has been on and off since, depending upon my family/work life (both of which come first) but my interest level has always been high since starting.

GunnedDownAtrocity
01-23-2005, 11:06 AM
highlander the series rocked.

much better than the movies.

anyone remember if tess was as hot as i thought she was? id check imdb, but these things are harder than you think when connected at 28.8. still wish i would break into the hospitals network.

blake
01-23-2005, 11:19 AM
Saw a Shaolin demonstration, promised myself i would take that, now i do .

Meat Shake
01-23-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Kung Lek
yer in Canada?

Close enough... Minneapolis.

CaptinPickAxe
01-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Land of the Cunaricans

Vash
01-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Lessee . . .

An ATA demo at my school when I was in 1st grade. Did that for about 5 years.

Just been interested ever since.

SimonM
01-24-2005, 07:59 AM
An early love of M.A. TV shows like Kung Fu: The Legend Continues combined with the desire to be able to "stick up for yourself" that fat, intelligent children frequently get when thrust into a world of fit and stupid children.

But I never stuck with it as a kid. I developed a true love for Martial Arts only by doing them - as an adult.

Nice Avatar Wolfen - Gangrel?

Reggie1
01-24-2005, 08:44 AM
I was looking for something that was interesting and would keep me in great shape. Ever since I was a kid I was always interested in martial arts, but I never did anything about it. Did a bunch of research and joined a school.

Now I think I've found a hobby that will have me hooked for life.

Ming Yue
01-24-2005, 10:56 AM
as a kid I was a huge fan of women in sports -- loved watching the olympics and was really inspired by it. Also when I was young, my uncle Steve was into boxing and I used to really like to watch it with him - that lead to watching any fighting I could find on TV.

Started training TKD and had a great teacher—a really traditional approach yet an open mind. He'd invite other teachers to come into the school and work with us on different styles and weapons. I was exposed to lots of stuff in those years.

Started kung fu just a couple years ago and my only regret is not starting it sooner.

PangQuan
01-24-2005, 02:41 PM
I would be lying if I said Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan didnt have an influence when it came to my first being interested in TCMA. But for real, once the art was shown to me, it was the good that comes out practicing and studying that really drew me in. Once I realized what was truly important in life, that would be to live and live well mentally as well as physically, I then realized that TCMA promotes and polishes these unique and valuable qualities of life. Once that was out of the way, it was just a matter of carrying on, and it still is, and it always will be.

Oso
01-24-2005, 10:04 PM
well, I started wrestling in 8th grade simply because it was cool and I thought it would **** my mother off.

It was.

It did.

Starship Troopers. (that lends more to an avatar i used for a while)

"....Starship Troopers...."

"Hey, that's a cool book"

"You mean it's a book? It's a game I play"

"A game? hmmm, I play D&D. Is it like that?"

"Sorta, I think...I've heard of D&D but have never played it"

"Well, I can teach you how to play"

"Cool"

weeks later....

"kung fu...what's that?"

Goldenmane
01-25-2005, 06:50 AM
Old TV show, Monkey (later called Monkey Magic) that played on the ABC (Australian) back in the late 70's/early 80's.

*Note*: this was a Japanese show based on Journey to the West, the classic Chinese buddhist tale about the Monkey King and his enforced accompaniment of the monk Tripitaka on a journey to India to retrieve some Sutras or some such. Lots of cool stuff like flying on clouds, beating the crud out of demons with a magic staff, and turning your chest hair into an army to do your bidding. Oddly, I became a Daoist. :)

Combined with my father's appreciation of being able to hold one's own in a fight, and a little bit of teaching from him (mainly Judo-based stuff, some small striking).

It's all good.

Hua Lin Laoshi
01-25-2005, 07:07 AM
Thinking back on the influence of TV on my interest in MA I just remembered Ultraman (not the cartoon). Anybody ever watch that show?

HearWa
01-25-2005, 03:31 PM
- The Ninja Turtles, Highlander, Mortal Combat, Walker Texas Ranger and Kung Fu: The Legend Continues.
- An early butt-whoopin' by a bunch of young "gangsters." If only I could find them now! :D

All though I never did get the chance to crank my sisters neck, I have fond memories of pummeling into walls and breaking a window/mirror with my fist. Those were in my early Karate days (10-12 years old). Oh, I smacked my mother in the nose once back in the Karate days when I was working on my technique... yup, I was a little warrior.

BM2
01-25-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Hua Lin Laoshi
Thinking back on the influence of TV on my interest in MA I just remembered Ultraman (not the cartoon). Anybody ever watch that show?

C'mon on now, who would be that stupid to admit watching a Japanese show about an alien sharing the body of the JAF pilot whom he nearly killed? I mean, really. I don't know anything about the newsreporter or the blinking light on his chest when he was down to his last 30 seconds of strength. And those poor fitting outfits that he wore and the crappy props.
I even remember some of the episodes of the monsters he fought and that godzilla looking one that kicked his butt and another more powerfull one came and replaced Ultraman while Ultraman healed up. The Japanese at work even made fun of me for watching that crap. If I wanted to hear someone talk smack to me I would have called home and talked to my wife! I'm sooooo glad she never reads this stuff
:D