PDA

View Full Version : record inflation?

WanderingMonk
06-16-2004, 07:35 PM
saw this in another forum and decide to cut-n-paste. don't know how true it is. but, 400 wins? I do wonder where he keeps the list of all the guys he beat.

SOURCE:
Gracie Jiu-jitsu Advanced
Volume 4.
An interview with Helio Gracie

"Well, I would say that I have had about 50 professional fights in my life in both Brazil and the few times Japan. I know Rickson likes to say he has a record of 400 fights, but if you go by the way he counts I would have a million fights.

He had 2 fights in Brazil and then maybe 4 or 5 matches in Japan.

Amateur fights, tournament matches, tapping out your students in class, little kids playing... who counts that stuff? Rickson maybe, but I would never count that towards my record.

What am I going to do? Count the 20 or 30 students in my class that lost to me each day like Rickson did? That would be silly. I would have well over a million fights then. The truth was that Rickson was a good fighter but he was also beaten many times."

Starchaser107
06-16-2004, 07:41 PM
hahahaha :D

cool.

joedoe
06-16-2004, 08:06 PM
And here was I thinking that this thread would be about the state of some economy :D

WanderingMonk
06-16-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
And here was I thinking that this thread would be about the state of some economy :D

old chum, it is. it is about record inflation which was used to promote certain art and its financial viability (albit only its early days). In this case, it would be the gjj economy.

Chang Style Novice
06-16-2004, 09:37 PM
If you bought a 45 of "Anarchy in the UK" for 50 cents in 1977, it would be worth hundreds of dollars now.

shaolin kungfu
06-16-2004, 09:45 PM
if you bought a pet rock 30 years ago, you'd still have a gay ass rock today

Chang Style Novice
06-16-2004, 09:55 PM
Further proof (if any where needed) that Sex Pistols is superior to pet rocks.

joedoe
06-16-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by WanderingMonk

old chum, it is. it is about record inflation which was used to promote certain art and its financial viability (albit only its early days). In this case, it would be the gjj economy.

I don't know if Rickson BS'd about his fight record or not, but he wouldn't have been the first and he certainly will not be the last to do so. At least he did have the balls to step into the ring - not everyone can say the same.

Serpent
06-16-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
If you bought a 45 of "Anarchy in the UK" for 50 cents in 1977, it would be worth hundreds of dollars now.
Really?! I have that record! Wicked. I might go and get it valued at a record store. eBay here I come!

(Hmmm... although, I'm not sure I could part with it...)

:mad: :( :confused:

PHILBERT
06-16-2004, 10:56 PM
I read in an interview with Rickson that he lost a match to someone back when he was a young teenager, like 13 or so. The opponent was also around his age as well.

DragonzRage
06-16-2004, 11:33 PM
This has been talked about and debated in MMA circles for sooooo long now that you're kicking a horse that's been dead and buried for years.

For the benefit of those who don't follow MMA gossip, I'll put it this way: Rickson Gracie is undoubtedly one of the most respected Bjj technicians in the history of the art, and tons of great fighters have attested to his skill level. That being said, he is not the god of fighting that people used to hype him as. His actual documented professional MMA record is laughable compared to today's top fighters. I would go as far as to say that Royce is a more accomplished MMA fighter than him. Altho his record as a fighter is often blown up by the Gracie jockriders, Rickson is an amazing martial artist and a tough guy. He definitely ain't a Frank Dux or anything like that.

Tak
06-17-2004, 07:57 AM
Discussed at length:
http://www.adcombat.com/ubbADCC_Forum/ubb/Forum1/HTML/027180.html