View Full Version : Spm Self defence question

TheBlackDragons
06-16-2004, 07:49 PM
I have a self defence question?
Lets say an Spm guy is defending himself against A northen
Praying mantis guy ,

1.Npm guy puches with a right straight punch

2.spm guy blocks

3.Before spm guy counters Npm guy grabs spms guys wrist with his right hand and pulling spm off balance and attempts to
right low kick knee and at the same time with inside left forarm
strikes spm guys elbow

To make this a shorter question
Can the spm guy counter wrist grabs
and pulls

Thank you for all serious replies
I know alot of factors come in to play
lets just assume the spm guys wrist get grabbed and pulled

David
06-17-2004, 01:48 AM
That's cool: the npm guy does the same as spm :).

There's no answer smaller than the universe for answering your scenario question but here's some notes on it, written before I realised I could never finish it.

It's quite likely that the spm and npm guys would have the same thought at the same time ie the spm guy would also go for move 3 from the simple 'block' you attribute to him though I'd not use my left inner forearm for the break.

An spm 'block' in move 2 would hopefully have been more than a strike with a blunt instrument. One possibility, assuming it was a right arm block, the right hand would seize, setting in motion a clawing motion up the npm right arm to gain outside position and access to the head.

The ability of the npm guy to overbalance the spm guy with a seize and pull like that is dependant on many variables. Equally likely is for the npm guy to propel himself at the rooted spm guy. Either way, spm thrives on this technique through much practice. If it was me being overbalanced, I'd turn that into a step or horse leap forward whilst going for an arm lock on that npm right hand, maybe via a thrusting yiu sao shaking off the bridge thrust. The npm elbow attack wouldn't occur and the low kick would be ill-advised due to the forward momentum of the spm guy.

Assuming it happens like you 1,2,3 then there are several answers depending on where the main force was being manifested...

This is where I gave up because I noticed you hadn't indicated which leg was forward :).

To make this a shorter question
Can the spm guy counter wrist grabs
and pulls
Yes :).
With the emphasis on short power and the primacy of the elbows and wrists in releasing these techniques, spm lives in the chin na dimension. spm contains the Shaolin chin na teachings.

Our long hours of sensitivity training makes us glad to be heavy or light as required in case of being pulled. We try not to commit our bodyweight unduly, desiring to remain free to move in any direction. We train pulling combined with 180 degree turns into attacks. Given the opportunity of being yanked forward, I'd often take that as a gift, depending.

Rgds,
David

5thBrother
06-17-2004, 05:10 AM
Lets say an Npm guy is defending himself against A southern Praying mantis guy ,

1.Spm guy puches with a right straight punch

2.Npm guy blocks

3.Before Npm guy counters Spm guy grabs spms guys wrist with his right hand and pulling Npm off balance and attempts to right low kick knee and at the same time with inside left forarm strikes spm guys elbow

To make this a shorter question Can the spm guy counter wrist grabs and pulls

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

u know apart from da stupidity of ur question SPM (well hell, prolly a majority of arts have this exact same usage so :confused:

Lets say an Npm guy is defending himself against A southern Praying mantis guy ,

1.Hung Gar guy puches with a right straight punch

2.Npm guy blocks

3.Before Npm guy counters HG (hung gar) guy grabs spms guys wrist with his right hand and pulling Npm off balance and attempts to right low kick knee and at the same time with inside left forarm strikes HG guys elbow

To make this a shorter question Can the HG guy counter wrist grabs and pulls

ROFLMAO

u need to get to a school and actually start training dude

TheBlackDragons
06-17-2004, 01:32 PM
Thank you for your informative answer

The black dragon Society

Just a Guy
06-17-2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by TheBlackDragons

2.spm guy blocks

Ummm...your question as put doesn't really have any answers. It is like asking, "When will cows stop producing orange juice?" The question is faulty, and doesn't have any sensical answer.

TheBlackDragons
06-17-2004, 04:55 PM
Thanks again for adding great info to this forum I'm sure every
member will greatly respect your great wisdom

your a genius ,,wow i feel so honored

I think i may just give up all ma training and my pursuit for more ma knowledge and become your personal disciple

great post keep up the genius replies

:cool:

Just a Guy
06-17-2004, 05:08 PM
Your sarcasm is misplaced. I am not attacking, or belittling, you. As written, your question makes no sense.

SPM does not counter/attack/counter/attack in the sense that you are thinking of. If your question is "How does a SPM stylist respond to a wrist grab?", you could have just asked that, instead of adding all this hokum about NPM vs. SPM.

I posted in the hope the you might consider your question more carefully, and so ask a better question, and so get useful answers.

Good luck in your studies.

TheBlackDragons
06-17-2004, 05:29 PM
I am satisfied with davids response

There no need to revise my question

i found the answer

guy incognito
06-18-2004, 07:37 PM
It would be like two SPM or two NPM people fighting. Whoever gets in first usually wins. I don't know how npm fights but i think what I said holds true. In chow gar we try to make our opponent react to us not the other way around. So we would wait to bloke a punch we would go in with a punch. I fthey don't block good they get hit. If they do block ever better we get to tie up their arms and then they get hit.