PDA

View Full Version : Physiology of gassing out?

sticky fingers
06-17-2004, 08:52 AM
Like Ironfist, I absolutely hate cardio.
Tonight, 1 hour boxing (skipping, focus mitts, shadow boxing, pushups, situps,drills - 3 min rounds with very little rest) and 1 hour BJJ (techs and free wrestling) , almost killed me. This is my 3rd lesson in 3 weeks.

I had to wait 15mins in the carpark before I could drive and almost threw up cos I was feeling light headed

What's the physiology behind this?
I had my breath back , but why was I feeling dizzy and nauseous?

rubthebuddha
06-17-2004, 09:20 AM
my guess is that lack of oxygen in muscles implies a lack of oxygen and/or sugar everywhere. your muscles need it to rehab quick, and your brain and other parts of your body have to sacrifice for a little bit. i'm not sure what the numbers are on oxygen, but the brain uses up about a quarter of the body's glucose supply. it's a huge liability in comparison to other animals and energy levels, but the advantage it gives us has compensated in its own way. i may not be fast or grippy enough to catch fish efficiently, but i'm smArt enough to use a hook and a nightcrawler.

regardless, if you're about ready to yarf, you know you had a good workout. :)

Meat Shake
06-17-2004, 10:35 AM
Next time that happens just drink some room temperature water and grub a protein bar. The protein bar will give you much needed carbs, protein, and sugar. Steer clear of cold water as it causes your veins to contract, slowing the flow of blood.
Heed my warning however... downing the water and protein bar too quick and youll end up yelling at the ground anyways.

FooFighter
06-17-2004, 11:21 AM
You gassed out because you are cardiovascular weak or you are not cardiovascular ready to meet the demand impose on yourself. I suggest you sincerely need to look into cardiovascular training and do it regularly because what we often hate in physical training is what we need to get done. Think about it.

IronFist
06-17-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Meat Shake
The protein bar will give you much needed carbs, protein, and sugar.

Unless it's one of those low carb protein bars.

FooFighter
06-17-2004, 04:58 PM
NitroTech is awesome. I love the new the low carb/high protien drink. The chocolate swirl drink flavor taste great! I have tried many protien drinks, and nitrotech is the best in my opinion.

Toby
06-17-2004, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by rubthebuddha
i may not be fast or grippy enough to catch fish efficiently, but i'm smArt enough to use a hook and a nightcrawler.But not skilled enough to use a fly evidently :p.

sticky fingers
06-18-2004, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by FooFighter
You gassed out because you are cardiovascular weak or you are not cardiovascular ready to meet the demand impose on yourself. I suggest you sincerely need to look into cardiovascular training and do it regularly because what we often hate in physical training is what we need to get done. Think about it.

Apart from stating the obvious, I am looking for a more scientific answer.

mortal
06-18-2004, 07:23 AM
lolol How could a kungfu person hate cardio.

That says much about a persons training.

You have to love cardio to increase the ability to pull off your moves over and over on multiple oponents.

Nobody likes training until their heart beats out of their chests. We do it because it is a major part of kung fu training no matter what the school. Also it is the part that takes the most time and effort.

I here talk of the weight lifting routines people are doing on this site. With out cardio the big muscles and fancy moves mean nothing. I haven't lifted a weight in years but I could fight or do my useless fancy shaolin monk wushu forms for hours.

Again suprised to here that on this site.

sticky fingers
06-18-2004, 07:32 AM
well, I do wing chun and yes it is not as aerobically challenging as wushu. I wouldn't be doing it if it was.

I can easily pull off wing chun moves on multiple opponents. BJJ is a different story altogether:(

and I can't think of one move considered as fancy in wing chun.

Are you surprised that kung fu is more than just wushu?

mortal
06-18-2004, 07:46 AM
I too take wing chun. Just had a class last night.

My teacher makes me fight several students in a row over and over. You need cardio to make your muscles respond better.

I love to spar people with no cardio. I'll take them on 2 at a time.

stubbs
06-18-2004, 08:58 AM
i think cardio's important for health and allowing you to train for longer but i consider my weight training more valuable - each to their own but in reality im not going to be fighting one person for very long. i get a lot of my cardio from weight training too if i training hard enough, a few hard and fast sets of deadlifts and my heart feels like its gonna jump out of my chest!
________
Honda Ra***a history (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_Ra***a)

FooFighter
06-20-2004, 02:08 PM
sticky fingers

My simple answer "might" be the answer or maybe not? Sometimes scientific answers doesnt by itself do anything but validate experience. Since you lack experience, go experience and then analyze later. Believe me. Theoretical talks goes only so far in the martial arts, usually in circles without much head way, as well in other physical disciplines. Just do it and you will understand. Sometimes simple common sense solutions speaks more clearly and loudly than fancy degree answers. If you are weak, then train to be stronger. If you're strong, then train even more powerful. If you are cardiovascular weak, then get stronger by doing cardio work, plain and simple. I am sure the fitness scientists here in this forum sounds better than me, but am I wrong in my simple answer? For my wing chun brothers here in NYC, who is your sifu?

FooFighter
06-20-2004, 06:01 PM
inic,

We all should be as blessed as you since you have "such a high vo2 level" and "seem to always have energy". I'm sure I will do my best to get my Vo2 progressively up to your level and try my darnest to have your great level of energy. God willing, yes! By the way, thank you for sharing your story about how when you worked out your partners, who are clearly Vo2 inferior than you, punked out while you are all Vo2 up. You must be envied by many of your mates, huh? Best Cheers and Keep Up your Vo2 thing thing.

inic
06-20-2004, 07:08 PM
thanks for the sarcasm!
seriously though, try breathing exercises and anything cardio like running, basketball, soccer, etc.

mortal
06-21-2004, 08:07 AM
If you are training kungfu you shouldn't need to play other sports for cardio. As a matter of fact kungfu has improved my cardio to be able to play other sports.

Toby
06-21-2004, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by mortal
If you are training kungfu you shouldn't need to play other sports for cardio.That's the best news Ironfist has ever heard! Seriously, why shouldn't you need to develop your cardio system on top of MA? I go to class to learn skills, not to train cardio. I mean, it's hard and all, but it's not interval training or distance running.

sticky fingers
06-23-2004, 11:35 PM
Foo: I see where you're coming from and totally agree, but it is a degree answer I'm looking for (don't ask me why). I already know what to do to improve my cardio - more cardio!
I live in Perth, Australia, so my sifu would be unknown to you .

Like Toby, I go to class to learn skills. I can skip rope at home. I'm only doing the boxing class because my mates who I car pool with are doing it and it's at a convenient time just before the BJJ class.

Unfortunately for me, I can only spare so much time a week for MA training and I'd rather improve my skills than waste valuable class time doing jumping jacks.