PDA

View Full Version : Someone explain VO2 Max

IronFist
06-17-2004, 04:38 PM
I always hear this term but I've never bothered to learn what it means. Someone give me the Cliffs Notes.

Thanks.

Toby
06-17-2004, 07:29 PM
Volume of Oxygen Max. The maximum volume of oxygen that your lungs can fit? Or can use? Don't remember. It's a cardio thing - that's why you're not familiar with it :D.

Serpent
06-17-2004, 07:42 PM
VO2Max is the maximum amount of oxygen that your lungs can get into your blood and then to your muscles to continually power your workout. The higher the VO2Max, the more oxygen you can process. CV exercise increases your VO2Max and your lactate threshold, thereby increasing your overall fitness (CV related).

And yes, Ironfist, yours would be somewhere close to that of an emphysemic 92 year old woman with bad breath.

For some reason I just assume you have bad breath.

inic
06-18-2004, 09:41 AM
All you need to know is that my level is awesom:cool: :D

19 away from N. Armstrong baby!

Oh, question: You think the more oxygen the muscle can use, maybe the greater density of strength it can have? I'm wondering if my high VO2Max level has something to do with my rather odd high level of strength considering my size. And the fact I really don't train for strength, but for speed/endurance.
I just get a lot of people telling me "I don't think you should be using that much weight man", even though it will seem not that difficult to me.

stubbs
06-18-2004, 12:36 PM
i think the amount of blood in your system can increase your VO2 max too. i remember reading something about athletes (sprinters i think) who injected blood from their team mates into their own system to increase their performance. plus it doesn't show up in drugs tests
________
OG KUSH PICTURES (http://trichomes.org/marijuana-strains/og-kush)

Vash
06-18-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by stubbs
i think the amount of blood in your system can increase your VO2 max too. i remember reading something about athletes (sprinters i think) who injected blood from their team mates into their own system to increase their performance. plus it doesn't show up in drugs tests

holy ****ing **** :eek:

IronFist
06-18-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by inic
All you need to know is that my level is awesom:cool: :D

19 away from N. Armstrong baby!

The astronaut? Do you mean Lance Armstrong?

rubthebuddha
06-18-2004, 02:27 PM
****, nic, your approaching the V02 max of a 73-year-old? impressive. :D

Serpent
06-19-2004, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by stubbs
No, you're talking about blood doping (or loading, etc. - it has various names). The oxygen is carried by red blood cells. The more red blood cells you have, the more O2 you can get to your muscles, so that's where those stories come from.

Serpent
06-19-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by inic
Oh, question: You think the more oxygen the muscle can use, maybe the greater density of strength it can have? I'm wondering if my high VO2Max level has something to do with my rather odd high level of strength considering my size. And the fact I really don't train for strength, but for speed/endurance.
I just get a lot of people telling me "I don't think you should be using that much weight man", even though it will seem not that difficult to me.
No. Look at the most powerful lifters and imagine their VO2Max! Getting oxygen to the muscle is to keep it working longer. Strength is not directly related to endurance that way.

stubbs
06-19-2004, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by Serpent

No, you're talking about blood doping (or loading, etc. - it has various names). The oxygen is carried by red blood cells. The more red blood cells you have, the more O2 you can get to your muscles, so that's where those stories come from.

so is VO2 max just to do with the volume of oxygen you can hold in your lungs or the amount of oxygen you can hold in your system? if its the latter then surely the more red blood cells you have in your system then the higher your VO2 max (?). what happens to the extra blood when its injected? does it eventually return to normal level like if you gave blood your body makes up the shortfall or does it just stay around in your system?
________
Shower Xxx (http://www.****tube.com/categories/37/shower/videos/1)

IronFist
06-19-2004, 10:26 AM
How do they test it? Is it an easy test you can do yourself, or does it involve machines or going some place to have it done?

inic
06-20-2004, 07:13 PM
for me, they had me run on a treadmill for as long as I could at about 90% (that means 90% of the fastest I can go) with a bunch of stuff hooked up to me. Had to breathe in a big tube and they plugged my nose, which made it very difficult to breathe since I usually breathe in through the nose.
I ran for like 13 min I think. It's not a lot of fun.

Serpent
06-20-2004, 11:07 PM
Yeah, a full VO2Max test will come close to killing you. You can estimate a close VO2Max with things like step tests and beep tests. Not good enough for professional athletes, but OK for Joe Public.

VO2Max is the amount of O2 that you blood can carry to the working muscles. Therefore, as O2 is carried by red blood cells, then the more red blood cells, the more O2 your blood can carry. Lung capacity has no direct relationship to VO2Max.

IronFist
06-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Holy crap I don't even think I could run for 13 minutes straight, much less 13 minutes straight @ 90% of my max!

inic
06-20-2004, 11:46 PM
well it starts out at 70%, then increase 10% every 3 min. so it was really 7 mins running 90%.

Mika
06-29-2004, 01:48 AM
As Serpent said, strength (or power) has very little to do with cardiovascular endurance, or VO2max. Lactate threshold was also mentioned, but that doesn't directly have much to do with VO2max, either. 400 meter hurdlers have much higher lactate thresholds (as well as much faster lactate clearance rates) as do marathon runners. Marathon runners, then again, have much higher VO2maxs.

So, for a martial artist it is a win-win situation: you need a little of everything, so no matter how you practice, it's all good...:cool:

(Okay, if you really want to improve, it gets very tricky and is dependent on a multitude of factors (age, injuries, goals, which art, experience, etc.)).

By the way, Polar (from Finland, baby!) has a heart rate monitor with which you can estimate your VO2max as reliably as with any other means of submaximal testing. This is good for everyone, but especially for those who cannot perform (due to injuries, obesity, etc.) any physical tests.

http://www.polar.fi/polar/channels/eng/segments/products/M61_M62.html

Mika

Toby
06-29-2004, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by Mika
By the way, Polar (from Finland, baby!) has a heart rate monitor with which you can estimate your VO2max as reliably as with any other means of submaximal testing. This is good for everyone, but especially for those who cannot perform (due to injuries, obesity, etc.) any physical tests.Yeah, my Polar S610 estimates mine. I can do it lying in bed - much better than inic's treadmill! Especially since I'm so obese :D.

Mika
06-29-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Toby
Yeah, my Polar S610 estimates mine. I can do it lying in bed - much better than inic's treadmill! Especially since I'm so obese :D.

:D

Just out of curiosity, how different have the results been [Polar vs. any submax tests]? Have the circumstances been similar? How far apart in time have these tests been?

And you could share the results, too, so we can praise you...;)

//mika

Toby
06-29-2004, 02:14 AM
Uhh, did you read the braggart thread? I got in trouble from Foo for posting numbers ;).

I haven't done the proper inic-style testing so I've got nothing to compare to. I too was interested in the accuracy of the Polars.

Anyway, I haven't done it for a long time, but I got 51 units*. I was at 50 for a long while before that and spent like 3mths of HIIT to get up to 51, so I was kind of put off doing it. I might try it again when I remember. I just have to remember to put it near my bed the night before so I can put the band and watch on before I do anything else in the morning. You're also not supposed to exert yourself for a period before, like 48hrs or something. That's not possible for me, so that may skew the results.

I can tell you Ironfist's VO2Max results too if you like. He gets 3 units*. :D

*I forget what the units are.

Mika
06-29-2004, 02:26 AM
No matter how young you are, 50 is good! :)

When I was still testing collegiate athletes, outside of the endurance training folks, the results were in the 50s and 60s mostly. You're in good company ;)

The units are milliliters per kilogram (of bodyweight) in one minute. That's how much you can utilize O2.

No, I have not read that thread. Maybe I shouldn't, either...;)

Toby
06-29-2004, 02:32 AM
I'm 31. I'm happy with 51mm/kg.min, but it's not as good as inic by a long shot. Braggart :mad: :D.

No, I have not read that thread. Maybe I shouldn't, either...;) It's good for a laugh. The one that's still there was in response to another deleted thread.

Mika
06-29-2004, 03:00 AM
Read it, it is funnee...:D
Sounds like the guy is trolling. Don't know him, haven't seen his posts before, so if you guys didn't think he was trolling, guess he wasn't...

Didn't see Inic's numbers, but I guess I can still do some math...;)
83.8-19=64.8 => awesome :cool:
Unless he really meant that "other" Armstrong :D

Here are Lance's stats. He IS an animal...

Resting heart rate: 32-34
VO2ml/kg: 83.8
Max power at VO2: 600 watts
Max heart rate: 201
Lactate Threshold HR: 178
Time Trial HR: 188-192
Pedal rpm's during TT: 95-100
Climbing rpm's: 80-85, sometimes faster when attacking
Average HR during endurance rides (4-6 hrs): 124-128
Average watts during endurance rides: 245-280 watts
Training miles/hours, endurance rides: 5- 6 hrs / 100-130miles

//mika

inic
06-29-2004, 03:47 PM
http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=30719
:cool:
I think my stats are getting better by the day since I'm exercising like a madman. And eating a lot better.

I'm doing a ton of weapon sparring, mostly olympic fencing, medieval fencing and some iaido. so much fun.

Serpent
06-29-2004, 04:36 PM

Here are Lance's stats. He IS an animal...

Resting heart rate: 32-34
VO2ml/kg: 83.8

Holy sheeeet!

:eek:

inic
06-29-2004, 04:49 PM
And I thought my #'s were good with 45 and 62.x...
How the heck he get 33 on a heart beat!

IronFist
06-29-2004, 05:04 PM
Where can I get one of those things?

Toby
06-29-2004, 07:37 PM
Here are Lance's stats ...Jesus!

Iron, if you're talking about a Polar HR monitor, your local bike shop will have them. Also fitness type stores etc. But the cheapest is to search online for the model you want. Anyway, a HRM would be useless for you. Seriously. Unless you're gunna start doing some sort of cardio. It might be interesting to measure how your heart reacts to big lifts, but not worth owning a monitor over. Borrow one instead. Even here in the colonial outback they're pretty common. I often see people jogging with them on. If you wanna check out the models, go through the Polar (http://www.polar.fi) website. The Oz portal is very good. I presume the U.S. one is too.

blooming lotus
06-29-2004, 08:39 PM
I'm not sure I unerstand................

I get the whole v02 concept and beep tests ( navy stle) etc.but short of buying something, how exactly do I find this info out???........and how do you get your lactate threshold???.understand the concept , but ..........how does that work to measure???

inic
06-29-2004, 08:44 PM
Your "." button called me. It's going on strike from all the abuse you give it.

Toby
06-29-2004, 08:49 PM
Lol @ inic.

Eyebrows, you can either:
(i) Borrow a Polar HR monitor.
(ii) Find a university with a human movement/sports science/etc dept and try and get a free test done.
(iii) Pay a fortune to have it tested at a large sports place. E.g. AIS centres would have test facilities. Certain gyms in Perth would have them (Challenge Stadium). Large sports teams would have/have access to facilities (e.g. AFL/NRL teams).

Mika
06-29-2004, 11:00 PM
What he said. Start with the local university maybe. In the US that's usually your best bet (if they cannot perform the tests on you, they should be able to point you to a qualified professional).

By the way, Inic, whether that test was submax or not, you're in great cardiovascular shape. You're at collegiate athlete level (omitting the endurance athletes) :)

Remember y'all, resting heart rates are very personal and as such cannot be directly compared between two individuals. Sure, if one marathon runner has a RHR of 30 and the other 90, you know which one to bet on...;)
But when it comes to martial arts, RHR is not a decisive factor. It can make a difference if you're a ring fighter, but then a lot of other things should fall in place too (like skill ;)). So, if your RHR is at 70, it's OK, just focus on your skills :)

//mika

Toby
06-29-2004, 11:08 PM
So, if your RHR is at 70, it's OK, just focus on your skills :)*Phew* Ironfist, you're still alright with your resting HR of 120. Your l33t skills will have to be your focus. Just hope you don't come up against any skilled 15yr olds :p :D.

Mika
06-29-2004, 11:12 PM
Lotus, I am not exactly sure if this is what you asked, but measuring your lactate threshold and the clearance rate can give you extremely valuable information about how well your training is going and how you should (if you should) change your program.
There are martial arts where lactate plays a small or no role at all (Kyudo, for example), however.

Iron, I bought my wife a Polar from a Wal-Mart. As it was on sale (hey, nothing wrong with that, she appreciated my financially sound decision ;)) it was a great deal :)

//mika

blooming lotus
06-30-2004, 10:19 PM
I don't mind spending $$$ , but you think it's worth buying???..............my bp and hr is always at a tranquil wtf low regardless of what I do......and I know my cardios well?????

Ps.toby.............my friend......I suggest posting some of your own pics , because for all your insults, you'd best be brad pitts' closest rival or I'll just accept appologies for conceited immaturity and arrogance right about now.................who cares if I'm unattractive.I got paid a bunch for my face and my body and got offered more I turned down...........so mother freakin what.!!!!????........who wants to be a supa-model anyway.........we're talking health and fitness..................

thx

BL

Toby
06-30-2004, 10:35 PM
Eyebrows, I am ugly as a hat full of *******s. But I never said I got paid $10,000 a week to model ;). Don't worry, I'm gunna put together a portfolio just for you and Foo. Squat, dead and bench. It'll take a fortnight (shaddup, Iron!) or so since DL is my next cycle.

Anyway, re the Polar, if you don't need it, you don't need it. I got my HRM to measure time intervals for HIIT more than anything. The HR stuff was a bonus.

This thread inspired me to check my VO2Max stats last night. Turned out I got 53 on 24/1/04. I did it again last night and got 53. But then I read the Polar manual and it said "based on height, weight, gender, etc". So I put in my new non-January weight and did it again and got a whopping 60! Yay, I'm catching you inic! I'll try again soon because it says don't do it for a day after exercising or drinking or this or that and I did it an hour after MA class. Polar calls the value OwnIndex and says it's "comparable to VO2Max" to deny accuracy I guess. I have no idea what algorithm it uses or how accurate it is. It also raised my max HR estimate from 182 to 186, although I'd struggle to ever get that high.

<edit>Fixed spelling mistake</edit>

blooming lotus
06-30-2004, 10:42 PM
hmph..

I didn't say I was beautiful .............only that i modelled.........you came up with that logic all on your lonesome................

let me be ugly..I need some rest ....................deal with it and so freakin what if I am???..the suckers still paid me.............

Toby
06-30-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by blooming lotus
I didn't say I was beautiful ...Neither did I ;). I only ever said you modelled. I always intentionally avoided personal remarks about your looks AFAIK (I may have slipped up on a bad day, but I don't think so ;)). I just said I didn't believe that you'd get paid $10,000 a week to model, much less by Ralph where sex sells and no offence, 41kg isn't sexy.

Ugly models aren't an exception, anyway. I don't know many model names (esp. the ugly ones ;)), but one I remember was Stella Tennant. She was a top model and ugly as sin.

blooming lotus
06-30-2004, 10:58 PM
go freakin figure????

anyway, my reg model weight is 46 ish..41 and I'm trouble and just ALITTLE SENSITIVE ABOUT IT IF YOU DON'T MIND!.............

anyway....

just yesterday did a crazy ab come cardio/ acro dance workout and today haemoraging like hell.....

guess I'll be able to take that contract after all....

u know what??..I'm going to send you some shots from my nxt contract and in return ,I want shopts of you eating your hat............

turkey :mad:

Serpent
06-30-2004, 11:03 PM
Gee, Eyebrows, if you're hemorraeging you'd better get to the doc.

Toby, be sure to post those pics she sends you. ;)

Toby
06-30-2004, 11:04 PM
anyway, my reg model weight is 46 ish..41 and I'm trouble and just ALITTLE SENSITIVE ABOUT IT IF YOU DON'T MIND!Then eat some carbs. You seem to know about diet, anyway. Eat, BL.

just yesterday did a crazy ab come cardio/ acro dance workout and today haemoraging like hell...Wtf? Don't you think you should be in hospital?

u know what??..I'm going to send you some shots from my nxt contract and in return ,I want shopts of you eating your hat...I'll eat a hat if you send me a contract showing $10,000 a week for at least 4 weeks. You're on.

blooming lotus
06-30-2004, 11:13 PM
HOSPITAL????

I dont even know how to say it let alone how to get there!.we're on summer break her for a week prior and a whole other day to come ( ie :- ghost town) and my pa is off doing promos..............

( sniff sniff)..I'll be right and yes I do..

as for carbs.I'm loving my peaches and jidanbi ing ( egg-white with veg omlette ).thank you very much...........

go figure china.I come here in the best of health and sturdily decline to .....................Idunno.

I'll be right and thx for the boost at such time of gravity.............

yah..feel bad.............you deserve it , and kiss your kids for me :eek: :eek:

Serpent
06-30-2004, 11:15 PM
Why don't you kiss your kid? Oh yeah, that's right...

blooming lotus
06-30-2004, 11:25 PM
ah ha.cause I lost one over night, and the other I won't see for another 8wks min .............

got it in one......

Ps..being really brave out here on my own!.what d'you want me to crY!!!!???

can ya just be gentle a moment......for sportsmanhip sake okay???........

dont make me cry now..handling this patt, really really well..........dammed lack 'o healthcare facilities........:( :) :cool:

blooming lotus
06-30-2004, 11:26 PM
ps..now can we return to the topic pls??????

Toby
06-30-2004, 11:33 PM
ah ha.cause I lost one over night ...So that's what the haemorrhaging was about? Like I said, shouldn't you be in hospital? Get ****ed, that'll help. Oh wait, you already are.

Thanks for the story, though.

blooming lotus
06-30-2004, 11:35 PM
:D :D :D

now there's a trouper!........

you use what available right;)

rodger wilko...getting ****ed and talkng five sir.......;)

ova and out

Toby
06-30-2004, 11:40 PM
You're in remarkably good spirits for someone discussing their miscarriage.

I could get mean, but I'll resist. We've been getting on so well lately ...

blooming lotus
06-30-2004, 11:45 PM
intention to kill kindly ..duely noted..

NOW LET ME DRINK MILK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...NEED NOURISHMENT MR. NEMISIS......

Toby
06-30-2004, 11:52 PM
NOW LET ME DRINK MILK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Why do we always get so off-topic when you join in?

VO2Max -> miscarriages -> milk :confused: :confused:

I like Pura Tone (http://www.natfoods.com.au/for_consumers/great_brands/Pura_Tone.stm).

blooming lotus
07-01-2004, 12:07 AM
speaking of getting side tracked, milk and the need to pee ( ie:- seroiusly last post of the day)

check out physical no-fat...........has like ..what is that protein content???.......can't remember but it's the highest on the market and they even throw in some bonus vits and mins.........70c a litre at your nearest bi-lo......

Ps.mixes well with goats milk and or protein powder........

" I could never be a model 'cause they'd just go" I'm sorry........too much personality........save it for yourself ha"...........

J- lo.......

Toby
07-01-2004, 12:17 AM
check out physical no-fat...........has like ..what is that protein content???.......can't remember but it's the highest on the market and they even throw in some bonus vits and mins.........70c a litre at your nearest bi-lo...More details. If there's a milk for 70c a litre, I need it. I'm drinking shiploads of the stuff at the moment and I pay more than double that for Tone.

" I could never be a model 'cause they'd just go" I'm sorry........too much personality........save it for yourself ha"...........

J- lo....... Or maybe because she's a bushpig. I hate J-Lo. *******. The only time I liked her is when she was getting slapped around by her daddy in U-Turn and got smacked down by Sean Penn at the end.

Serpent
07-01-2004, 12:41 AM
:confused:

Am I the only sober one here today?

Toby
07-01-2004, 01:09 AM
Do I not seem sober? I am, despite appearances. Funnily enough, Eyebrows' drunkenness seems to enhance her spelling. That last post only had one mistake and there were some >1 syllable words in there :confused:.

Mika
07-01-2004, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by Toby
Polar calls the value OwnIndex and says it's "comparable to VO2Max" to deny accuracy I guess. I have no idea what algorithm it uses or how accurate it is.

Polar's OwnIndex should be as accurate as any submax test. It has been compared and studied extensively. Professionals in the field all seem to agree (the ones who are experts in VO2 testing) on this.
The formula they use is a secret and it is patented. Raija Laukkanen surely knows (she's one of the main R and D people at Polar) what it is, but there really aren't many others. Competition is fierce.

As for this thread...:eek:
Wow, I have never at KFO felt so weird...maybe it's because I don't really know y'all, but man!...it's surreal...

Like that kid in the movie Super Troopers said:"I'm freaking out, man..."

:D

//mika

blooming lotus
07-01-2004, 07:38 PM
serpent.my guess is aha.yup.only sober player for da day.............

tobes......dude..wat hapened to getting on an al..can't even remember your post but ....

damm it .i had a really good come back and lost my place.........

anyway............having an emotional miscarriage today ?? and maybe just wanna be loved today.so Ill just say no'fo'alava..and check you in a bit....................

Toby
07-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Mika, good to know that my OwnIndex == VO2Max, then. The thing is, BL == Eyebrows == blooming lotus has quite a history on here. Mostly she and I fight, she and Serpent fight, she and ... well everyone fight. She has a habit of derailing threads and posting incomprehensible stuff (like the last post).

Serpent
07-01-2004, 10:13 PM
serpent.my guess is aha.yup.only sober player for da day.............

I knew you didn't have me ignore. You twat.

Toby
07-04-2004, 10:26 PM
Update - I sat down on the couch to watch football and my resting HR 1 1/2hrs after rowing ergo HIIT and 1/2hr after stomach/arms workout on Sunday. For the time I watched, not long after I sat down, my HR was between 39-41. It hit 38 twice for sustained periods (>5s). Lowest I've seen it. Previous lowest was 41.

blooming lotus
07-04-2004, 11:52 PM
serpent.......okay then...if it'll make you feel better :P

Serpent
07-05-2004, 12:03 AM
No. Just more proof that you're full of sh!t.

IronFist
07-07-2004, 09:02 PM
I have to read this thread some time when I have time, since I was the one who started it.

blooming lotus
07-07-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
No. Just more proof that you're full of sh!t.

serpent.I could've sworn I'd posted this comment before...but really.the funny thing about your comment is that, if I could figure out how to disable the function, I probably would...........only getting half posts ( as in when you open a post by an ignoree from your list).gets kinda tedious............

anyway ........TOBY : on physical milk ............by now you've no doubt done a grocery shop and had a look your self, but If I remember correctly , it's 12 ish gms protein per 200(?) mls and you get vit. D and A and possibley C + other extras............if you go to bilo supermarket it's very inexpensive........if I have nothing else in day, I will always have my physical...............

that sounds kinda like a promo ................lol...........maybe I could hit ( is it pauls???) the manufacturer up for an advert :P

Toby
07-07-2004, 09:28 PM
Re ignore - go to "User Control Panel" at the top left of the screen. Choose "Edit Ignore List" near the top right. Then edit the ignore list according to the instructions and your wishes. Dunno - I've never done it, but that's what the link says. I thought you were a genius? Surely you could figure that out for yourself.

Physical milk? So "Physical" is the brand name? I don't think we get that in Perth. I'll have a look, though. Don't have a Bi-lo near me anyway, although some of the other chains are probably affiliated with them. I really need to spend less on milk ...