Out of all the Ma's I researched when i retire at

60 I would choosee bagua to master\

reality speaking if you run circles around your oppoent

theres not a whole lot he can do eventually he will probably
get dizzy

unless you get tripped or something

Ray Pina
06-18-2004, 11:34 AM
Well, your research has already led you to the largest misconception about Ba Gua .... you don't run, pace, walk around the apponant. Unlike the photos in the magazines your apponant can move, too.

The idea is to make the other guy give you his back, or you turn him .... This is my favorite use of the 1st palm.

Tak
06-18-2004, 12:20 PM
I saw a clip of a supposed bagua guy fighting in a full contact tournament. And he actually did walk the circle around his opponent. He lost, although he did get in some decent hits and I think a throw or two.

Ray Pina
06-18-2004, 12:42 PM
I've seen a lot of things. I've seen people swing the bat all the way through and miss and hit the ball as the bat came back around behind them.

8gua
06-18-2004, 06:16 PM
to think you actually try to circle your opponent while fighting because you use bagua is looking at the finger and missing the moon. yes you want there back and are always moving, as evolution stated you are going for there back, but they can move too. Turning is a developmental practice, not a techinique.

Thundermudd
06-22-2004, 05:36 AM
There is a difference between training methods and fighting methods. You need to learn to impart methods and concepts of your training into your fighting. Concepts like moving and turning are learned on the circle, but I would think that it is rare and uneducated that a fighter would walk in circles around their opponent.
What happens when the circle is cut off? Turn...
But, what happens when that cut off is so close you have nowhere to turn to?

Peace

Chris

Ford Prefect
06-30-2004, 08:22 AM
"I've seen a lot of things. I've seen people swing the bat all the way through and miss and hit the ball as the bat came back around behind them"

That must have been one incredibly slow pitch combined with one incredably early swing. In short, it must have been one horrible baseball game considering it's basically impossible for that to happen.

omarthefish
07-04-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Thundermudd
But, what happens when that cut off is so close you have nowhere to turn to?

Peace

Chris [/B]

There's always somewhere to turn to.

Ford,

it must have been one horrible baseball game...

I saw the footage. It was pretty bad.

SPJ
07-05-2004, 07:31 AM
When you pratice 8 Gua walk, you may do 8 steps or more.

When in fight, you walk 1, 2 steps. The trick is in the Bai Bu (Swing step) and Guo Bu (Button step).

Your defensive manuever is to move to the opponent's side and use your forearm to contact or neutralize. (Avoid the front)

Your attack move from the other hand is still going to the opponent's front.

Xie Zhu Zhen Ru.

This is an oversimplification. There are many more ways to neutralize and counterattack.

You spin/spiral (your body, your forearm, etc) like a reel.

Tzuan Zhang (penetrating palm) is the most common defensive hand form.

Zhuong Zhang (hitting palm) is the most common offensive hand form.

Of course, you may throw (Shuai), tripping to fall (Dei). kao, kicks Qin and Na, etc.

:)

Ford Prefect
07-05-2004, 08:12 AM
Omar,

Who was it? I'd be interested in seeing it considering it's nearly impossible. I say nearly because it's as likely to happen as driving you car directly into a brick wall but just warping right through it due to a quantum fulctuation.

Ya figure even in little league an average speed pitch which was somewhat on the slow side was 70 mph. That's over 100 ft/sec. Considering in the MLB distance from mound to plate is 60' 6" and the little league is 45', then the ball will be arriving at the plate in a fraction of a second. The area to hit a ball in any way is about 3 feet. That wouldn't make for a very long window considering the ball is moving at over 100 feet/second. In this fraction of a second it takes the ball to travel to home plate somebody had swung completely around and hit the ball on their follow through? Crazy. Nevermind the fact the any televized baseball game will have people throwing well over 70 mph thus further reducing the time to swing at the ball. I was considered a slow pitcher in high school and I threw 75+. Ya figure a pro or even good amateur throwing at 85 mph which is 125 ft/sec... That's less than 0.5 sec to get from the picthers hand to the catchers mitt... I gotta see it to believe it.