PDA

View Full Version : Teaching ethics

Starchaser107
06-18-2004, 09:29 PM
(1) If you have a student you suspect is involved with illegal activity, or if you believe they're using thier martial arts for bad purposes, but
you have no proof of this. As a teacher what would be the correct thing to do?

(2) Would you teach someone who has a criminal history ?

(3) Would you teach someone u knew was involved in drugs or crime?

TenTigers
06-19-2004, 09:42 AM
If you teach someone, and they misuse the art too harm members of society, you are directly responsible, morally, ethically, and spiritually as well. Besides what it will do to your reputation. Some people like to teach ruffians and thugs so that their school seems tough, therefore their art is superior. Bottom line is..I had a student in our school who was in hos teens. He was well behaved in class, but other students told me that he was constantly starting fights in school, acted tough, and cursed out his teachers. "How can you teach him?" Some people we can turn around, others don't want to turn around. He was expelled.
I don't need parents pulling their kids out of the school. I provide a healthy enviornment, and good peer group, and role models for young adults. For older students, they don't want to be around these types either. I'd rather not have them in my school.
About ten years ago, I was approached by some members of a local outlaw motorcycle club to teach their members. After calling up some other instructors, one of whom was a former "patch-holder", I was advised that this will cause the demise of my school. I passed on the "opportunity".

Vash
06-19-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Starchaser107
(1) If you have a student you suspect is involved with illegal activity, or if you believe they're using thier martial arts for bad purposes, but you have no proof of this. As a teacher what would be the correct thing to do?

It would be most wise to confront the student and decide for yourself whether or not this student needs to continue under your tutelage.

(2) Would you teach someone who has a criminal history ?

If I was convinced they were no longer involved in an activity which was immoral or illegal, then yes.

(3) Would you teach someone u knew was involved in drugs or crime?

If, after having talked with the prospective student at great length, and after a good bit of prayer and thought, then it is a possibility, IF and only IF they student had the wish and the drive and the ability to separate him/her/self from said activities.

SPJ
06-19-2004, 07:12 PM
In the old time;

Q.1. The student will be suspended pending investigation.

Q.2. nope.

Q3. nope.

I think the question is always asked in the beginning, why or what is the student's intent to study with the teacher.

If the student's goal or intent justifies?

If the student's character and integrity worthy of the art?

If the student responsible enough?

If the student physically or mentally "fit" for the lessons?

Even after passing the initial screening, the conducts of the students are "monitored" constantly.

There are codes of ethics and even disciplines for misconduct.

The elders will decide, from punishments, labors, suspensions to being kicked out. These are all publicly announced.

In the Shaolin temple, there is a Chamber of Laws. (Jie Lui Yuan).

There were laws/rules in the family, in the school, in the company, in any group, etc.

These were the old ways. I was brought up the old way.

Modern time, I have no clue.

If it is your school, you set rules for your class. 10 of them or more. You also assign a good student to police or enforce. It is up to you. As long as everybody is aware in the first place. discredit, fine or whatever. A concil of five, public hearing of the case and votes from the students, etc.

I was subjected to tons of rules. I always live by them closely.

In the old time, people would even identify the conduct of the schools.

MA is not only about how to fight. It is every bit about ethics that come with knowing how to fight. We have to have both. This was the old way I was taught. We may be poor fighters. We will not lose or be second in ethics.

No ethics. Everything is in vain.

IronFist
06-20-2004, 12:23 AM
Can you legally discriminate like that?

SPJ
06-20-2004, 08:13 AM
Good point.

Ethics is not about favorism.

It is just a set of rules that applies to all equally.

For Shaolin monks, no drinking wine, no women, no greed for wealth, etc. Drinking monks or meat-eating monks had to work in hard labor in Gardening, cooking, picking firewoods, laundry etc. No MA lessons.

Sort of no drink and drive. no drink and MA.