PDA

View Full Version : taiji mei hua tang lang

Eddie
06-21-2004, 05:30 AM
any one who can redirect me to some more info on this style? I started learning the first summarised form from my one sifu's son, and was just looking to find some more info on this. Im a CLF guy by heart, but this new mantis stuff I learned really impressed me.
thanx

MantisifuFW
06-21-2004, 06:27 AM
Eddie,

Greetings from Texas. I am very curious about your part of the world Gongfu wise. I know of no mantis instructors at all there, unfortunately. I do Northern Mantis. What kind of Gongfu do you have there, (obviously CLF for a start).

Steve Cottrell

yu shan
06-21-2004, 06:45 AM
Do a google search for Ilya Profatilov.

MantisifuFW
06-21-2004, 07:05 AM
Eddie,

Yu Shan is quite right. Shifu Profatilov would be a great resource or along the same lines, Shifu Jake Burroughs could also be of a lot of help if you are looking for someone on this side of the globe!

Steve Cottrell

Shaolinlueb
06-21-2004, 07:08 AM
theres a taiji mantis clip on www.jiayo.com. i dont know if its mei hau though.

Eddie
06-22-2004, 05:05 AM
Hi Mr Cottrell,
There is a fair bit of kung fu in South Africa. The list would be way to long to write them all up here, so I could answer specific questions in private if you have some. I can sumarise some of the bigger schools. I do Choy Lay Fut (our url is www.choylayfut.co.za ) and we are part of the Lee Koon Hung Association. There is YMAA, Shaolin Temple (Shi Yang Ming), Wing Chun (various Masters- S Kwok, Yip Chun, WT, Randy Williams and a few others) and then your usual bit of different mixed kung fu schools. We have hung ga, and hongquan from different lineages, and then there are a few contemporary wushu schools. We do have a Yau Kung Moon Sifu from Hong Kong here, but he doesn’t teach so much kung fu anymore. These are just the more bigger schools and or associations, but there are more.

There aren’t to many mantis schools around. There is a 7 star Mantis teachers here, Yang Long Fei who does a great style called San Xi Ren Shi Mantis. Then there are some 7 star mantis from the Lee Kam Wing group. There was wah lum here in the late 80s early 90s, but I don’t know what happened with them. I checked your site, and noticed you also trained with Bredan Lai. He also visited Sa some few years back.

I also train northern shaolin and bajiquan with master wong guan quan (who played the emperor in Jet Li’s Shaolin Temple). His son just returned back from china after going back to go study with his fathers teachers. He started teaching me this taiji meihua mantis. I am just getting a little taste for it now, but so far I really like it.

I cant seem to get allot of info on this style on the web.
Eduann

Laviathan
06-22-2004, 07:24 AM
Hi, please send my greetings to Chris. I'm his kungfu brother from Beijing. I just got back in Holland.

Good luck with Taiji Meihua Tanglang, it's a great style! Are you learning Yilu Zhaiyao right now, or Baiyuan Toutao?

Regards,

Lav

Eddie
06-23-2004, 04:39 AM
Lav,
will do. I might see him this afternoon.
I started the first summarised form Zhaiyao. Cool form.
E-mail me privately at sales@martialarts.co.za then we can chat again.
Eduann

MantisifuFW
06-23-2004, 10:35 AM
Eddie,

Thank you for sharing your description of the Gongfu Scene there. Indeed I was told that my Sifu came to your country and that he had a GREAT time there and found intense and enthusiastic martial artists in your country. It is no surprise that it flourishes to today.

I will PM you concerning specific questions I have. Thank you.

However, I too studied Taiji Meihua Lan Jie with Shifu Profatilov and Meihua Lu with Sun De Yao and Damo Jian with Shifu Wang Rengang. The Taiji Meihua approach is superb and these teachers are not to be missed if you EVER have the opportunity to train with them!

Best in your training,

Steve Cottrell

Eddie
06-24-2004, 12:38 AM
Sifu Cottrell,
when Master Lai came to SA things were indeed very different. At that stage there wasnt that many different kung fu schools around. I remember him writing some comments in some magazine about some of the kung fu he saw over here.

The taiji mantis I am playing with now is different to CLF. Its really very much different in terms of power, fluidity etc, so I really like it. I dont know how good it suits my body type (Im 6ft 4 and weigh 110kilos), but I just love kung fu and I love forms and their applications.

I have been reading and posting to the southern forum for some few years now, and I have learned allot from some of the guys over there. Hopefully I will learn from this mantis forum too.

Looking forward to all your posts about taijimantis
Eduann

Oso
06-24-2004, 06:12 AM
Dude, you're huuuuuge!

I'm 6' and 240 and have some issues with speed compared to my other skinnier bug friends but there's a lot of aspects that fit me well so have fun with it.

Eddie
06-24-2004, 07:07 AM
:) oso,
did I mention I bench 120 kilos on a bad day?? :)

kidding, kung fu is not just for smaller people. I started when I was a kid, so I grew into most things. Yes, I do battle with some of the flying stuff in northern shaolin, but i still try.

I love challanges

Oso
06-24-2004, 07:31 AM
so, 120Kg is like 300 pounds right?

you need to chat w/ Sevenstar he's a big bruiser too.

My motto has always been:

It's not how well the bear dances
but that he dances at all.

;)