PDA

View Full Version : Things about your school

Wei Sui
06-06-2001, 07:25 AM
Hi all, just surveying the top three things you like about your WC Sifu/Koon, and the 3 biggest improvements/suggestions. I understand that this list would change depending on what level you are in your training, and others factors...but I would like to see anyhow.

I'll start:
I like about my koon/sifu

1.) My SiFu has an interest in every practioner, he teaches to "teach the future teachers of WC". He get's upset if you say you are a student, glaring and spitting out "I don't have the time to teach just students". Thus it helps each other learn and coach each other.

2.) MY Sifu is activley involved in not only teaching WC theory but demonstrating what he says on a daily basis. He is very active..touching everyones hands, showing executing techniques....definetly not all talk. Some Sifu's are good practioners but can't express the theories/techniques so well, teaching is definetly a strong suite for him.

2.) Private/Small classes. I like going to class and knowing that attention will be payed to everyone -as the class is small (held in his garage). I have been to a commerical school and there is a world of difference!

Downside/Improvements/dislikes of kooon or Sifu

1.) No emphasis on sparring in classes. We don't partner up and do light freesparring.

2.) There are some things that he has added into the WC system that I haven't bought into yet.. He added alot of body movement, and doesn't belive in using a WC stance at anytime...he almost uses a JKD stance. I see his body movement good for small agile people..not so much for myself..I like the direct approach...Maybe I am still ignorant and haven't attained the insight to understand or utilize his other stance/movements.

3.) Most of his seniors are gone from is last generation of students...so everyone must progress together and there are not many seniors to ask questions or to improve your training with.

Well, those are my top 3 +/-'s. Ofcourse the +'s out weight the -'s by FAR (and I am sure many of you will say that too)...but I am curious none the less.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings... Any of you guys have similar +'s/-'s? Feedback would be great.

Dai yut tow dai :)

Wei Sui
06-06-2001, 07:35 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^

MasterPhil
06-13-2001, 08:11 PM
I think you are very honest and open about your ideas which I think is good. Though I think you will have a hard time getting a lot of responses since it is taboo for many people to openly critize their teachers. I've been kicked out of more than one m.a. studio for voicing my constructive critics. I learned that these things are best to be kept behind closed doors. As in everything, there is good and bad. If you feel the teacher is not right for you or you don't like the class or anything else, then change schools. But don't expect a world of change by discussing the cons of your school with the other students.
Maybe a more interesting way to go about it would be to discuss the pros and cons of commercial vs non-commercial instruction as they both have their advantages and disadvantages depending on what you're looking for. It would be mostly interesting for beginners who may not have the opportunity to have experienced both ways.

Respectfully,
ST

Surrounded by chaos, the true taoist laughs...

Wei Sui
06-14-2001, 08:36 AM
Silent Thunder

Thanks for your thoughtful response and insight...very much appreciated. Not only did you state your reasoning, but you also suggested an alternative means to reach my answer. So thanks so much for your response...

Just to clarify to everyone, by no means was I trying to get people to openly critize their SiFu or koon. Nor was I trying to discredit or put down my current SiFu, I think he is fantastic and I would never think of leaving him as a pupil.

On the other hand, it is good to keep an open mind and ask yourself "what ways could training be better". My SiFu always says his purpose is to teach the future teachers of WC, his training has fostered this idea, and maybe this is why I didn't know this would be so taboo. I am always looking to see what others do in their koon and what could be improved, and perhaps I should have phased the question different. I am only human:), but I am continually learning!

Sharky
06-14-2001, 12:56 PM
i love the way we hardly did any padwork, my teacher thought that sparring was stupid and dangerous, and that the teacher never ever raised his knee (as in there was no kicking).

"Feeding techniques" - my ass

"It's been a bad day"

Edd

My anus is superiorâ„¢

whippinghand
07-09-2001, 07:16 PM
If your sifu does not have seniors training with him, raise your eyebrow.

Wei Sui
07-10-2001, 06:54 AM
WH,

I guess it depends on how we look at label senior student.

The way I see a senior is a student that is differentiated from another in skill and knowledge level - understanding/insight.

In my class there are around 25-30 students... ~10 would be classified as newbies, ~12 students with ~1-2 yrs (I am in this group), 4 students with 3+ years.

The 4 most "senior" students that have been with my Sifu are excellent...the thing is, is that they don't come as often as others...so I get a lot of practice with others at similar levels, but not with student's that are clearly differentiated in skill/knowledge.

His other generation of seniors are located in different cities.

Anyhoo, hope this clarifies...

Sharky,

You never did any sparring? Any others on this board where their SiFu doesn't have sparring in their training? Without sparring do you feel that you have developed enough confindence to handle yourself in mosts situations?

Although not in my sifu's training, I try do some full-contact sparring during non class time. I feel it gives me a little more realistic situation to apply techniques... I think I would feel a bit empty without sparring...am I missing something...I know a street fight is a new world but, do you think it is imperative in training?

Thanks
Wei Sui

whippinghand
07-11-2001, 06:27 AM
I didn't need the clarification, you did.

Wei Sui
07-11-2001, 07:39 AM
Thanks for the clarification that I was the one needing clarification :)

JasBourne
07-11-2001, 04:30 PM
Things I like about my kwoon:

- small classes
- seniors train beginners almost one-on-one at times
- class tempo kept tight, no down time
- sigung shows up every now and then to teach beginners
- principles explained
- practical application of principles clearly demonstrated
- no fluff
- no sashes or fancy uniforms
- sparring as a fundemental learning tool
- lots of respect, no trashtalk, minimal horsing around

things I don't like:

- A/C is getting old, kwoon gets hella hot sometimes
- not a whole lot put out about background or lineage - not avoiding, just not emphasizing, very low key about lineage. Which is a good thing, I guess, we don't get all hung up on our glorious heritage ;)
- no lion dancing

--------------------------------------
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is. "
- Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut